• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: "The Media of Photography": A Scholarly Look at Aesthetics! Bargain Special Edition!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"The Media of Photography": A Scholarly Look at Aesthetics! Bargain Special Edition!

The current edition of The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism is out and is devoted to "The Media of Photography"

Special issue: The Media of Photography Diarmuid Costello and Dominic McIver Lopes, Guest Editors

issueMauve.gif

current issue: vol. 70 no. 1 (winter 2012)

Introduction: diarmuid costello and dominic mciver lopes

Transparent Representation: Photography and the Art of Casting: peter alward

Fiction, Nonfiction, and Deceptive Photographic Representation: paloma atencia-linares
Photographic Art: An Ontology Fit to Print: christy mag uidhir

Digital Pictures, Sampling, and Vagueness: The Ontology of Digital Pictures : john zeimbekis43

Facing the Camera: Self-portraits of Photographers as Artists: dawn m. wilson55

Photography as Performative Process: richard shusterman

Artwork and Document in the Photography of Louise Lawler: sherri irvin

The Macro and the Micro: Andreas Gursky’s Aesthetics: bence nanay

The Question Concerning Photography: diarmuid costello

A Musical Photograph?: richard beaudoin and andrew kania

Drawings of Photographs in Comics: roy t. cook

Photography and Knowledge: scott walden139

Depiction, Detection, and the Epistemic Value of Photography: laura perini

I think this will become an important reference and it should make an excellent resource. Membership is just $70 per year USA, $83 international and $35-40 student membership and that includes subscription to the journal itself. I'll try to find the cost of just one copy of this important edition. Meanwhile, I'll read it myself! :)

Let me know if this interests you!

Asher

Mark Hampton

The current edition of The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism is out and is devoted to "The Media of Photography"

Special issue: The Media of Photography Diarmuid Costello and Dominic McIver Lopes, Guest Editors

issueMauve.gif

current issue: vol. 70 no. 1 (winter 2012)

Introduction: diarmuid costello and dominic mciver lopes

Transparent Representation: Photography and the Art of Casting: peter alward

Fiction, Nonfiction, and Deceptive Photographic Representation: paloma atencia-linares

Digital Pictures, Sampling, and Vagueness: The Ontology of Digital Pictures : john zeimbekis43

Facing the Camera: Self-portraits of Photographers as Artists: dawn m. wilson55

Photography as Performative Process: richard shusterman

Artwork and Document in the Photography of Louise Lawler: sherri irvin

The Macro and the Micro: Andreas Gursky’s Aesthetics: bence nanay

The Question Concerning Photography: diarmuid costello

A Musical Photograph?: richard beaudoin and andrew kania

Drawings of Photographs in Comics: roy t. cook

Photography and Knowledge: scott walden139

Depiction, Detection, and the Epistemic Value of Photography: laura perini

I think this will become an important reference and it should make an excellent resource. Membership is just $70 per year USA, $83 international and $35-40 student membership and that includes subscription to the journal itself. I'll try to find the cost of just one copy of this important edition. Meanwhile, I'll read it myself! :)

Let me know if this interests you!

Asher

Asher,

thanks for this -

Here is the abstract from

It is frequently claimed that (1) there is a sense in which a photograph is always an instance of documentary photography and, (partly because of this) (2) photography is fictionally incapable. I will argue that none of these claims is right. I will briefly address (1) contending that it is a mistake to confuse the documental character of a photograph (the causal relation with the source) with the documentary genre, which it may or may not belong to. I will then argue that (2) only holds if one endorses a very narrow view regarding the nature of the practice of photography.

Photographs, I will further claim, can indeed represent fictional entities/events by photographic means. In this way, I will be partially on the side of theorists who defend that photography is fictionally capable (Carroll, Currie, Warburton). Yet, I will offer an alternative argument to support this view.

nice to see theory catching up with practice !

Photography must be a fiction - this applies to any definition of the medium, the inherent beauty of the medium for me is it sometimes appears on a shallow level to be factive.

of course i really should photography the essay and publish it on the internet and make it a work.

cheer !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

thanks for this -

Here is the abstract from

It is frequently claimed that (1) there is a sense in which a photograph is always an instance of documentary photography and, (partly because of this) (2) photography is fictionally incapable. I will argue that none of these claims is right. I will briefly address (1) contending that it is a mistake to confuse the documental character of a photograph (the causal relation with the source) with the documentary genre, which it may or may not belong to. I will then argue that (2) only holds if one endorses a very narrow view regarding the nature of the practice of photography.

Photographs, I will further claim, can indeed represent fictional entities/events by photographic means. In this way, I will be partially on the side of theorists who defend that photography is fictionally capable (Carroll, Currie, Warburton). Yet, I will offer an alternative argument to support this view.

nice to see theory catching up with practice !

Yes, at last!! I'm amazed and happy that you have a subscription or do you just get this from the web?

Photography must be a fiction - this applies to any definition of the medium, the inherent beauty of the medium for me is it sometimes appears on a shallow level to be factive.

of course i really should photography the essay and publish it on the internet and make it a work.

cheer !

That would be a large photograph!

Asher