• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

SNS-HDR Batch question

Hi,

How do I define which preset is applied to my files when batching?

Hi Ben,

When you first select the preset, and then open a (set of) file(s), then the preset is used for that operation (until you specifically select something else). It seems that these settings are also used by the batch that's running. I haven't thoroughly tested that yet, so I may be wrong. When Sebastian happens to read this he can explain.

However, if you want to make sure (or change your mind about the tonemapping presets), you can tell in the batch dialog to save the result of the batch operation as an SNS file type. That will save all settings and the original data, let's call it an SNS Raw format ready for further tonemapping. When you open the SNS file types in SNS-HDR, they open with the last used settings in place, and you can click on your preset (if necessary) and then save them as TIFF or JPEG in sequence, then they should have your preset applied.

Cheers,
Bart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thanks Bart,

I just ran a large batch using the first method and it seems to work. Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd method, I didn't realise I could batch and still be able to tweak individually, that will be very useful!

Thanks Bart,

I just ran a large batch using the first method and it seems to work. Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd method, I didn't realise I could batch and still be able to tweak individually, that will be very useful!

Hi Ben,

Yes, I suppose the first method is as designed, but since I'm not sure, so it would help if Sebastian could confirm. Other than that, the lack of a formal manual is more than made up by clever programming. Sebastian seem to make intelligent choices for the behavior of his software, it's up to us to discover that logic and put it to good use.

Another tip, after an adjustment, right clicking on a slider will reset it to its previous setting when it was opened. By alternating a right and a left click you can visualise the before and after effect before saving it to an intermediate SNS file type or a final output type.

Cheers,
Bart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The program is very intuitive in general, I just wish so bad that it was faster. Fourteen 15 megapixel 8 bit tiff brackets (3 shot bracket) took 4 hours to batch on my dual core 2.2ghz 8gb RAM SSD based system running 64 bit windows. The result is incredible but the workflow is like watching treacle drip...

The program is very intuitive in general, I just wish so bad that it was faster. Fourteen 15 megapixel 8 bit tiff brackets (3 shot bracket) took 4 hours to batch on my dual core 2.2ghz 8gb RAM SSD based system running 64 bit windows. The result is incredible but the workflow is like watching treacle drip...

I agree that more speed would be nice, but hardware also has a large influence on it. SNS-HDR makes use of all processor cores (as can be observed in the Windows Task Manager), and of the GPUs of the graphic card if available. It goes as fast as it can, but there is a lot to be calculated.

On a modern Quad core processor, 8 GB RAM, and a good Graphics card, it can do a 3 (21 MP) image bracket in something like 1 - 2 minutes, but you need seriously fast hardware to achieve that.

On the other hand, it still beats having to blend by hand, and still not getting as nice a result.

Cheers,
Bart