• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

mid-range 35mm film scanner?

Nick Masson

Hey all,
I was wondering if someone could recommend a good mid-range 35mm film scanner ($700 or less). I'm okay trying to track down a used, discontinued model as long as it is not too old (usb interface, lamp in good shape...). I was hoping to get my hands on a minolta dimage scan elite 5400 (or 5400II), or perhaps a canon FS4000? As far as new scanners, how would an epson V700 hold up compared to these? I'm not inclined to get a flatbed since it's more of a hassle and I am only scanning 35mm, but if the scan quality is better than what I could get for $700 (or some more expensive model that goes for $700 used), than i'd be okay with using it...

I have also heard that vuescan is the best software to use for scanning; opinions? Can you scan directly from Photoshop CS5 if I will be using that for editing anyway?

Thanks!
-NICK

StuartRae

Hi Nick,

I have a Minolta Scan Elite 2 which is excellent. It has digital ICE which is a hardware solution for removing dust and scratches. Look here for an example.

I would be willing to sell it, but the logistics of getting it to the US baffle me.

Regards,

Stuart

Nick Masson

Thank you for the input Stuart. It is certainly refreshing to have positive input from a forum and folks that I trust. I will keep looking around for one locally; hopefully I will have some luck in the months to come. I suspect it is quite a pain (and probably not all that cheap) to ship stuff from the UK, but thanks for the offer! If luck doesn't come my way and the offer still stands I may put in the time to figure out how to make it effortless for you to sell it and have it come this way. Cheers!

Mike Shimwell

The epon V750 (V700) is actually OK. I've posted up some sample scans at some point and you can find them via my 'Moments' blog if you trawl back a few pages.

Mike