• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Dream Gardens...

There are some very pretty shots and those gardens look like a very nice place to shoot but I thought the blurred application to the photos got a little tired after the first few images. I would like to see some normal shots without the effects.
James

Umesh Bhatt

Thanks for your comments...always appreciated. I agree it gets routine after a few shots...these are shots from a single location and obviously not part of a theme or anything...maybe, over years - this will become one.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for your comments...always appreciated. I agree it gets routine after a few shots...these are shots from a single location and obviously not part of a theme or anything...maybe, over years - this will become one.
Hi Umesh,

Another welcome to OPF. I immediately was taken to your pictures, even the square form. At first I thought you had flare, then I realized it followed the pattern of the flowers and finally I thought that you had a sticky shutter. The effect, whatever it is you are using, degrades your images.

One important thing to emphasize is that we do really want to see the photos appearing within your post so that we can immediately be attracted to what you show. That extra click and then ""forward" or "next" is extra effort and spoils the immediacy of the images. Otherwise half the folks wont both.

So could you select 4 pics and embed them by putting the url between
. The url for the image must end in .jpg or .png.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Umesh,

A good reason to post the images here is that it would force you to pay attention to an image, like #3, where the effect you have introduced obviously damaged your beautiful picture.

In general, overall whiz-bang "effects" are a danger. I actually do use a lot of adobe photoshop mathematical layers, (multiply, lighten, difference) aggressively for a few series of my work. However, it's fraught with danger of just wiping out any originality of your photography. It's like brain surgery, don't drill holes in the skull unless you really know you can do so with safety and benefit.

Anyway, I am interested in your pictures of the botanical gardens and also your square format. Now you may have a 6x6 film camera or perhaps not?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
could you select 4 pics and embed them by putting the url between
. The url for the image must end in .jpg or .png.

Bonjour Umesh
Exactly! otherwise lazy (or too hurried) guys like me won't see/look at the pictures…
Post the more important upon your feeling then drop the link to the gallery, if we enjoy very much, you'll get a chance we follow the link.
OTOH how do you wish to get C&C if we cannot see the image in the same time?

Kind regards
PS BTW png files are way too heavy/long for showing, please stay with JPEGs…

Umesh Bhatt

Thanks for all your replies. Technically speaking - there was no photoshop involved in any of my images. The orton effect was in-camera. That said, next time - i will post images inline and not provide a link.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for all your replies. Technically speaking - there was no photoshop involved in any of my images. The orton effect was in-camera. That said, next time - i will post images inline and not provide a link.
Umesh,

It's always a great thing to see the pictures. That then gives one the drive and energy to really explore many more of your images in depth. So keep the links for people to enjoy, but they actual images get us involved.

I'm still interested in these pictures, what camera did you use and tell us about your square format. Unfortunately, few people depart from portrait or landscape mode. In the heyday of the 6x6 camera icons, the Rollei, Hasselblad, Mamiya 33 and 330's, the Yashicamats all made the square format a common choice for fine photography.

Pick your very best picture and post it here so we can enjoy it. Your pictures do have a special intimacy that's worth attention.

Asher

Anil Mungal

Umesh says he used the orton effect.

For those unfamiliar, it is a technique used with slide film. Using a camera mounted on a tripod, you would take two shots of the same scene. The first shot would be sharp and overexposed by two stops. The second would be defocused and over exposed by one stop. After processing, you would take the two pieces of slide film and sandwich them together in single slide mount. When projected, the defocused slide adds a glow to the image giving a dreamy, impressionistic quality.

Asher Kelman

Umesh says he used the orton effect.

For those unfamiliar, it is a technique used with slide film. Using a camera mounted on a tripod, you would take two shots of the same scene. The first shot would be sharp and overexposed by two stops. The second would be defocused and over exposed by one stop. After processing, you would take the two pieces of slide film and sandwich them together in single slide mount. When projected, the defocused slide adds a glow to the image giving a dreamy, impressionistic quality.
Thanks Anil for this clarification.

I wonder whether or not one can set a digital camera to do that using one of the programs for doing tethered shooting? One can do endless bracketing. I guess combining focus bracketing and exposure bracketing might do the trick.

Where are the best examples of this Orton sandwich technic?

Of course one can do the same with a PS945 or Pinkerton and Smith soft focus lens at f4.5 on a 4X5 camera. The lens gives very sharp focus form the center of the lens and then hard light from the periphery will overlay the brighter light as a soft magic glow. This effect is subtle and refined so that it's much closer to having a light brush from angels than some obvious camera trcik.

Asher

Umesh Bhatt

I have used a Nikon D300 for the images. Some are hand held while a few were done on a tripod. I have a square crop view screen (katz eye) and yes - the only manipulation i have done are the cropping & to apply calibration settings. I used Lightroom to do this.

About the technique - These are not 100% orton, although similar. many Nikon cameras allow you to use multi-exposures in-camera (with auto-gain). The resulting image is "one" JPG or NEF. Most of the shots were double exposures while some have 3 exposures merged. The first image is usually a blured shot (wide aperture if tripod was used) while the 2nd shot is a sharp shot (small aperture if on tripod). The sandwich creates a kind of dreamy impressionistic image. I learnt this technique from Freeman patterson (http://www.freemanpatterson.com/) who uses this for many of his images.