• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

2011 Landscapes

Alain Briot

pro member
H6T4457-600.jpg

Blue Mesa, Petrified Forest National Park

Mike Shimwell

Alain

very lovely, though you seem to have a halo around the peak to the right. Is this a downsizing artifact?

The colours in the clouds and the ground are great.

MIke

Alain, regarding Eastern Sierra Fall, my immediate thought was balance. After some thought, I reckon I know why this was so. Colors: both warm and cool. Subject elements: plant and rock. Seasons: evidence of late fall foliage and early winter snow. Composition: in a word, balanced. The result is an incredible symphony.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
H6T4457-600.jpg

Blue Mesa, Petrified Forest National Park

Of course it's beautiful!

Re the halo, one can't expect to reduce this much for jpg and then not have a halo between such areas of different contrast. I would not have noticed it or remarked, because I know the print will be fabulous.

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Thanks Asher. I saw the scene in Eastern Sierra Fall from the corner of my eye as I drove by. The light wasn't right then, and I did not stop. But I returned a couple days later. I just couldn't forget that scene.

The image is quite different from what I saw when I drove by (things look different when seen at 55 mph - details are missing!), but it is what I felt. Emotions apparently aren't linked to speed. Either that or I can split time in small fractions. That's related to learning how to drive fast, and somehow this proved helpful for photography.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I read a recent article where the author wrote that those who photograph their emotions on witnessing a scene are far more the artist than those who aim to 'xerox' the scene with a camera. What you write seems to fit perfectly into that frame of mind Alain.

Alain Briot

pro member
In any case absolutely georgous, for some reason it looks better on your webpage than here, more vibrant.

Most likely because of the different background color. The file itself is the same in both places. It's also the current Print of the Month:
http://beautiful-landscape.com/Print-of-the-month-105.html

This one is not a stitch. In fact, it's a crop from a rectangular composition. I cropped out the foreground to strengthen the image.