• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

tattoo

Hi, found that the forum was a bit sleepy these days so here I am...

Made a retouch for my online portfolio, and I tried to make a "cry baby" style tattoo.
i DIDN'T READ ANY TUT ON THE NET because the idea came to me as I was refining the image (like a "eureka"!)

I find that it looks fake.
my color is
blue 31-50-63
blending vivid color, opacity 95%, large amount of blur.
tried the "Blend if": blue function, works well but it's too faded.

IMG_6685before.jpg
IMG_6685.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, found that the forum was a bit sleepy these days so here I am...

Made a retouch for my online portfolio, and I tried to make a "cry baby" style tattoo.
i DIDN'T READ ANY TUT ON THE NET because the idea came to me as I was refining the image (like a "eureka"!)

I find that it looks fake.
my color is
blue 31-50-63
blending vivid color, opacity 95%, large amount of blur.
tried the "Blend if": blue function, works well but it's too faded.
What do you think?

IMG_6685before.jpg
IMG_6685.jpg

Sandrine,

Having put them side by side, that was a mistake! Each one interfered with the other. The first picture is sharp, looks staged, but works. The two elements, the eyes and the lips are needed and balance each other.

IMG_6685before.jpg

Now we are distracted by the decoration on her left cheek and the increased importance of the forehead and shape of the nose, (being so close to the camera), as more of the picture is so blurred.

IMG_6685.jpg

In such images, the lips seem to be sharper to make it work. Maybe blur the entire face!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Having put them side by side, that was a mistake! Each one interfered with the other. The first picture is sharp, looks staged, but works. The two elements, the eyes and the lips are needed and balance each other.

My view of this is apparently completely different from Asher's. As an a/b camera techie comparison it's a big "so what".

But it's value as a diptych is actually quite strong. I would not be at all surprised to see these frames printed quite large, probably on dibond or back-printed on acrylic, and hanging on view at this fall's Paris Photo with a dealer offer tag of $12,000 - $15,000.

I'm quite serious. This type of work could be, and indeed is, presented as powerful stuff in the art world today. You should consider toddling further down this path, Sandrine, particularly with this slightly feminine angle.

I will be very honest, and first of all thank you Ken and Asher...
I found this image on Morguefile, where people dump their "below par" images for the use of others...So the photograph work is not mine, only the retouch is mine.
I was just posting this to know about your views on the technical point of view, retouching speaking.
my intend was to make her even more "cheeky" with an obvious sexual innuendo.
The tattoo was here to make her more girly, and it's absolutely not essential (IMHO).

I want to put it on my portfolio, and don't intend to make some money with it.
#If I do, I promise to share with the photographer :)#

for those who are interressed...

http://www.morguefile.com/

and this

http://www.morguefile.com/license/morguefile/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My view of this is apparently completely different from Asher's. As an a/b camera techie comparison it's a big "so what".

But it's value as a diptych is actually quite strong. I would not be at all surprised to see these frames printed quite large, probably on dibond or back-printed on acrylic, and hanging on view at this fall's Paris Photo with a dealer offer tag of $12,000 - $15,000.

I'm quite serious. This type of work could be, and indeed is, presented as powerful stuff in the art world today. You should consider toddling further down this path, Sandrine, particularly with this slightly feminine angle.

Thanks so much Ken for that brilliant idea and important reminder of the Paris show! On impulse, I'd edited Sandrine's post, since I thought the a/b/ comparison would better explain Sandrine's retouch work. Then regrets, too late, because that made them communicate, one with another. I missed that since I was focused on the value of her retouch.

Asher