• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Figure Painting

Paul Abbott

This is what I do as a pastime as well as photography. I paint 54mm - 62mm white metal figures. The colours are historically researched.
The bases and terrain features are created by myself too. I do also sculpt to a small degree. The plinths are bought in from a supplier.

I do have many images of figures that i've done in the past, this is just one. Basecoated in acrylics and highlighted and shaded in oils.

Just thought you might like to see...

Picture026-1.jpg

Paul Abbott - Greek Sicilian Hoplite

Picture030-1.jpg

Picture033-1.jpg

This is what I do as a pastime as well as photography. I paint 54mm - 62mm white metal figures. The colours are historically researched.
The bases and terrain features are created by myself too. I do also sculpt to a small degree. The plinths are bought in from a supplier.

I do have many images of figures that i've done in the past, this is just one. Basecoated in acrylics and highlighted and shaded in oils.

Just thought you might like to see...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing. Lots of detail, you must use very fine tipped brushes or cleverly layered texture application. These are Zinc based casts I presume? I used to know someone who also recreated complete battlescenes from documented wars, after thorough study of the official books on war tactics of those times.

BTW these seem good candidates for 3D object reproductions, which can be rotated in real time on one's display.

Cheers,
Bart

Paul Abbott

Thats interesting, Bart. I guess every shot has to be taken at the same angle, obviously.
Very fine brushes were used to blend in the oil paint. This fella took me just over two weeks to finish. It was waiting for the oil paint layers to dry.
l don't really do it much anymore, l got bored and lost inspiration.

Ruben Alfu

Hi Paul, this figure looks very well done. It must be quite gratifying to see the result of the whole process, from the historical research til the last stroke, to come alive. congratulations.

It calls my attention that you and John Angulat both have hobbies that relate with your style of shooting. For you the city is a pallette of colors, textures and forms, while John, who likes fishing, is more inclined to catch the happenings on the streets.

Paul Abbott

Thanks, guys.
I see what your saying, Ruben.

Here are a couple of Romans for Matthew...

Picture060-1.jpg

Roman Centurion 105 BC - 'Jugurthine War'

Picture148-1-1.jpg

Roman Centurion 1st. Century AD

Picture146-1-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

Did you mention how tall these are? I wonder how you hold the figures for the work. Do you ever clamp them in something to have both hands free or do they rest on the table?

Asher

Paul Abbott

Paul,

Did you mention how tall these are? I wonder how you hold the figures for the work. Do you ever clamp them in something to have both hands free or do they rest on the table?

Asher

Thanks, Matthew.

Asher, they're in the category of 54mm, but they mostly come in at 62mm. They are all in parts and need to be assembled with Epoxy.
I assemble them and then adhere 'em to an old paint lid with some strong double-sided pad/ tape. After the figure is painted I prise it loose and stick it to the plinth and then proceed with creating the terrain around the white metal base and making everything look consistent with Milliput putty.

Here is some idea...

Picture238-1-3.jpg

Ancient Celt Chieftain III-II Century BC

Picture276-1.jpg

Picture282-1.jpg

Picture278-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks, guys.
I see what your saying, Ruben.

Here are a couple of Romans for Matthew...

Picture060-1.jpg

Roman Centurion 105 BC - 'Jugurthine War'

Picture148-1-1.jpg

Picture146-1-1.jpg

These Romans are spectacular. It's amazing to think that there were men like this from Rome that subdued much of the world for centuries! Having visited italy so many times, its hard to think the folk would ever be so serious to actually go forth and battle at close quarters like these figures!

Paul are you still working on these models? :)

Asher