• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Beautiful Tree Cut Down By City Crew!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The light was wonderful on a bowl of fruit so I was trying to grab some shots and then the loud noises of branches crashing and chain saws screaming! Outside I was shocked to discover a crew sent by the city to destroy and remove a tree outside my house! We had seen the red cones, the day before, but felt they must be cutting an old oak across the road! I was so wrong and disappointed. So to make the best of it, I took pictures and then got some of the wood to dry for firewood and a few slices made of the trunk for a sculpture.

I'll post pictures shortly, so please return!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here was my first view of the disaster! A major limb that crashed on the road, split from the force.

Smashed_tree_MG_8127__MG_8128-2 images_0000 800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Smashed Branch

Canon 5D II 70-200 2.8L IS

So this was a shock to me. i hate trees being cut down. Usually, if they have a disease, like oak root fungus, one can trim it, decrease watering and it will recover. However, to the luddites, it has to be destroyed! Well, I'm not going to fight city hall after the tree is already down, LOL and doubtless the new tree they'll plant will be fine enough. So I just decided to get some pictures of the fellows working and some of wood for my fireplace and for a sculpture!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tree_cutting_crew.jpg

Asher Kelman: Crew Cutting Up Tree

I was taken by the deep red color of the cut wood! So I decided to get some slices to play artist with! More to come!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It's surprising how things come to an end so rapidly.

_MG_8088_crop_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Last Leaves

_MG_8133_crop_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Tree Removal

_MG_8129_crop_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Saw to Trunk

_MG_8140_crop_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Wood to Make Furniture

Asher Kelman

Then I spied logs I could save for firewood!

_MG_8091_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Salvaged for Firewood!

All in all, I did scavenge some benefits: my pictures, a couple of nice slices of the red trunk with beautiful grain, logs to split and dry for firewood and a modest workout! Also, it reminds me of how we cannot assume anything in life. Each day has its surprises!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

_MG_8151_crop_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Slices for Me

Tree Slices B&WM_MG_8167__MG_8171-5 images__800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Red Slices of Tree Trunk

Under Garden Halogen Lights

These slices have no purpose yet. I just love them. I've a slice of a 12 million year old petrified redwood tree and now I have is the nearest similar things fresh from being killed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is just converted to B&W:

B&W_MG_8167__MG_8171-5 images_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Red Slices of Tree Trunk

Under Garden Halogen Lights

I'm thinking of a sculpture...........

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, isn't it amazing how fond of trees we grow (ha!). I'm glad you managed to get the best of the event, though. Thank you!

fahim mohammed

Lovely red color there Asher. Guess, it is cheaper to cut the tree than to treat it. Its memory shall remain with you for a long time; even when the new tree is planted.

Good sequential arrangements of shots.

Best.

Asher Kelman

Jarmo and Fahim,

Thanks for stopping by! Yes, the city has kept their promise and a new tree has appeared.

_MG_8548.jpg

Asher Kelman: New tree Arrives!​

Well is not an American Elm, we'll have lots of yellow flowers in spring! Still if this sapling isn't secured against the strong winds we get, it will be uprooted in the next storm!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

thanks for showing, but it was more the title than the pictures that made mind trail off to an old song about a tree that was cut down.
Maybe you have heard of the German singer Alexandra, well she died 44 years ago, but the song 'Mein Freund der Baum' (other yt version) is still well remembered. Lyrics in German and the English translation (just scroll down).

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

It's a wonderful thing that we can share such sentiments across languages. Her voice has a great strength. It combines the timbre of Edith Piaf and the lyricism of Adamo. I will add this to my favorites.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher