• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Places to visit..

fahim mohammed

I am going to talk about a place that is a photographer's paradise.
But I shall do it in my own way.

Not the way of a tourist book from Fodors, Frommer's, Lonely Planet or various others.

And, by necessity, I have to talk about some subjects that are supposedly taboo in this forum.
But one does not visit mission control in Houston and not hear about the moon landing!!
And one does not visit the Vatican and not hear about a certain Belief.

Let me tell you about a place. A place that most people would know about. It involves travel.
It might involve considerable travel, depending where one resides. But it is one of the must see places, if you ever get the chance and have at least 10-14 days.

It is place of history. History in front of your eyes. History under your feet. History around you.
There is no place on earth that is historically more well known than this one. It is also a place, the history of which tells the tales of man's follies.

A cradle of all that you see around you. Knowledge and power as vast as one would ever read about. Time that brought the mightiest of forces in opposition. Pitted the weak against the strong. The humble against the proud. The many against the few.

A place where the right and wrong were defined. A place of tribes and names. Names that we use today. A place from where sprung forth beliefs and nations.

A place where one man would ask to see life created. Just to satisfy his heart, not his belief. Where one man was told to gather different birds of different varieties and colors, cut them in pieces, mix the blood soiled pieces, and place them on four separate hills at random. Then to call to the dead pieces of chopped birds to come to him.

A place where a weak, enslaved people put their trust and their lives in the hands of one man. Being pursued by a powerful army. In front the vast stretch of water. Behind the roar of chariots of war.
Their only weapon, a wooden stick. Hit the water with the stick, the leader of the enslaved people was told.

A place where a man was derided because of his beliefs. You believe because you are rich. He lost his riches. You believe because you are healthy. He lost his health. You believe because you can see. He lost his vision. You believe because you can speak. His speech was taken away. The man, this time, burst out crying…at least leave me the power to proclaim to the world my belief in You.

I want to see you, cried a man. You cannot see Me. Look at the mountain. To this day the mountain is there. Burnt. Black. As is the mountain, where a man was given some rules, commandments.

A place across whose desert would walk a lonely man, with his wife and son. Alone, helpless. Fighting to survive across the vast desert of Egypt into another desert. Another land. Because he was commanded.

And thus, from Egypt to the world would be spread The Belief.

Let me mention a few names..Abraham, Jacob, Jonas, Joseph, Moses, Aaron, Issac, Mary, Jesus, Sara, Hajir, Ismail.

Ra, Osiris, Ramses, Tutenkhamen, Valley of the kings, pharaohs.

Alexanderia. The greatest library on earth. Science of medicine, astronomy, thought, economics,
Architecture, mathematics, engineering.

And, of course, Faith. Egypt, where it all happened.

I have been many many times to Egypt. I have climbed the mountain before sunrise. I have seen across the vast stretches of its desert. I have seen and sailed across the vast expanse of water.
I have visited Al-Azhar university and Alexanderia.

I have ventured into the tombs and the pyramids. I have seen all that remains of the once proud and the powerful. As I have walked across its numerous cities and streets, I have felt history through me.

I have met its hospitable and literary people. Egypt, unfortunately, is going through a transition right now. It shall come through. It always has. It is the cradle of civilization.

One of the must see places on earth. For many, very many, everything happened here. They read about it in their Holy Books daily. Billions of them across the globe. What took place in Egypt.

Why not visit it? It is a wonderful experience. Photographically, it cannot be better than here. Historically?
You would be staring at where it all happened!!