• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Strands

Strands is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Hopeland Gardens in Aiken, SC. I could have called this one compromise or maybe concession. Aesthetically, I don't like to have the subject (or even a part of it) leave the frame, but I also wanted to include the three vertical color layers. And so I had to make an artistic choice.

More on that and a couple of other pieces in my The Artist's Story blog post can be read here: Strands

SD16_2627.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Steven,

Strands is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Hopeland Gardens in Aiken, SC. I could have called this one compromise or maybe concession. Aesthetically, I don't like to have the subject (or even a part of it) leave the frame, but I also wanted to include the three vertical color layers. And so I had to make an artistic choice.

I think it was a good choice. Guidelines we adopt can provide, as the name suggests, "guidance", but rarely do they sere us well if considered "absolute".

In any case, the clear resin is a wonderful medium!

Lovely image.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

More on that and a couple of other pieces in my The Artist's Story blog post can be read here: Strands

SD16_2627.jpg

It’s the artist who must first satisfy his/her own needs!

So you have my support!

Asher

Hi, Steven,

I think it was a good choice. Guidelines we adopt can provide, as the name suggests, "guidance", but rarely do they sere us well if considered "absolute".

In any case, the clear resin is a wonderful medium!

Lovely image.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Doug,
Exactly my thoughts. If it is an artistic choice that we are making, then I think it's fine. As they say, rules are made to be broken. ;-)

I found the sap to be fantastic. I started to depend on it - when I couldn't find anything else to point my lens at, I knew I could count on finding something in that area. It became almost like a project I returned to it so many times. Always abstract and always interesting. I missed it when it finally dried up.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

It’s the artist who must first satisfy his/her own needs!

So you have my support!

Asher

Asher,
Bingo! Even though I didn't like one aspect of it, my artistic eye wanted the color more than any other consideration. If we don't/can't follow our heart and create what we want, what is the point? I don't know how to create for someone else (and that was just as true with my music), and even if we tried, you can't please everyone. Best to be happy with what you create and then if someone else likes it, that's great.

Thank you for looking and commenting. :)