• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Velcro is good, Velcro is bad

Ray West

This is a warning to anyone using kit that is fixed to your belt/wherever, by velcro straps. They do not always work.

It seems that many smaller items (P&S cameras, Hyperdrives, filter cases and so on) come with a canvas case with a loop for fitting to your belt, or other equipment strap. That loop is often itself a strap with velcro ends. Imnsho if you use that loop, as is, it will let go and deposit your gear on the floor or worse. Also, over time, velcro deteriorates, often due to fluff sticking in the 'hooky' side, or softening of the plastic, whatever. Have you instigated a 'velcro maintenance system'?

When you start looking, you will be surprised how many items have these velcro straps. They all give a false sense of security, and are part of the manufacturer's ploy to get you to buy replacement gear.

The solution, either cut off the strap, or adapt it with a better fastening system, or stitch or rivet the ends of the loop.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

Hi Sid,

I'd include anything that relies on velcro as the main fastening device. Its OK, if its just used to stop the end of the strap from flapping around, but not if it is the only fastening method for the attachment. Some seem to use velcro on both sides of the end of the main strap, which then sticks to a pad on the back of the case, with another short velco strap to fasten to other side of the main strap, thus the strap end is gripped on both sides --- but only for a while.....

Just something I picked up on, having had my P&S camera being handed back to me when on holiday a few weeks ago, (and repairing the dent last night).

Best wishes,

Ray

Harvey Moore

Actually, I find Velcro (generically called hook and loop) strips useful to retain gear in my backpack case. This prevents accidents with gear falling out when opened when not flat on the ground.

It depends...
If used against pulling forces (<-\ /->, velcro can't be used at all... (for important stuff, I mean)
If used against sliding forces (<-----____>), especially on a somewhat rigid base, velcro can easily withstand a huge load.
They use it on the military vests.
Bad engineering designs apart, I personally think velcro is one of the greatest inventions of the XX century.
Just my 0.0002 of the f/stop...:)

Last edited:

ericevans

Velcro only lasts so long . I own a lot of stuff with Velcro including parachute rigs and it needs to be replaced once in a while . I sew all my new Velcro on myself and it really isn't that big of a deal to replace .

Nill Toulme

Take note that there are different grades or strengths of velcro. I have some industrial strength velcro that I use on various stuff that takes a *major* tug to get loose.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Jon P. Ferguson

So far so good...

I've used and continue to use the LowePro series of add-ons. I pack a water bottle on my belt in their mesh bag. Also pack my flash unit the same way. On occasion I have carried a light jacket/sweatshirt from the secondary velcro strap provided. So far it has proven reliable - but I check the "connection" frequently throughout the day. Active sports shooting requires some unusual positions and catching a tab on something can sure screw things up.
As a related comment - I DO NOT use a neck strap for my camera. I've had more "near accidents" with this device than any other. If you fall forward with a camera around your neck and put your hands out to save yourself....what is gonna hit first? If your camera is resting on something (desk,table, etc) the strap seems to find the only thing to catch on almost automatically.
I use the hand strap exclusively. When passing in aisles, or in a tight space, I have my camera down and behind me. That way a bumped shoulder takes the shock, not my gear. Also, the damned neck strap really messes up quick vertical shots by hanging perfectly in front of the VF. I shoot horse events and don't have time for some of the niceties.

Kevin Bjorke

I have a 30-year-old Velbon bag that has carried several brands and formats of gear over the years (currently my Rf645, a strobe & an extra lens) and is closed by two 2" vecro squares that still work nicely. A different grade? Or just a matter of keeping the velcro cleaned of lint in the hooks?

"is good" in my book