• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Exhibition" Pictures for Discussion and Questions A Call for your immediate attention: Exhibition in Los Angeles May 2015

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well here we go once more!

We're looking for a location for a an OPF/Gallery One exhibition of works by OPF Photographers. One of the top considerations at the moment is a collaboration with the Independent Photography Art Fair that happens right nearby Paris Photo in Los Angeles. Of course, there's always Paris Photo, itself!

PHOTO INDEPENDENT is an annual photography art fair held in Hollywood, California, which made its debut at Raleigh Studios, Hollywood, across from Paramount Studios, in 2014. As the first and only high-visibility platform for independent photographers, PHOTO INDEPENDENT presents a forum for direct exchange of ideas and contacts between photographers, collectors and art professionals. PHOTO INDEPENDENT provides you with the unique opportunity to invest in the most exciting established, emerging and undiscovered photographic talent today. We are pleased to announce the second edition, returning to Raleigh Studios, taking place May 1-3, 2015.

This independent show is designed to attract the same well-healed avid collecting crowd that come to the Paris Photo 215 at the adjacent Paramount Studios. Paris Photo is akin to Venice Biennale in quality, on a smaller scale but without "Broken slabs of Concrete", "giant snails" or "cut up cars" being shown as 21st Century masterpieces!

I am investigating our participation in the major exhibition of Independent Photographers in the show which is held just adjacent to the massive Paris Photo Exhibition May this year at Paramount Studios. If there's enough high quality interest and we pass the curatorial reviews, then I'd buy sufficient space for a number of photographers. Either they can pay the price I pay, at approx $3,000 per 10 ft wall length, or a commission of 50% to hopefully cover costs, or a combination.

Submission: So please post here 4-6 fine pictures per set, (there could be say 20 in that set but we only need to see 4-6 of that set at this time) and the print and frame size in inches, (cm divided 2.54) width x height and I will see what we can organize. Obviously, more smaller pictures can be fitted in than massive prints. Your work must constitute a coherent set or several sets that are readily recognizable in style and motif as belonging together.

I can find a place locally to do the matting and framing, but it's assumed that you will send fine prints signed, an artist's statement, a brief biography, the method of printing.

Also by Private Message to me only, your price list by PM only and the leeway I would have for the price and the statement that these will not be on sale anywhere on the internet for less than the price offered at this show.

Post Cards to be handed out: We intend to arrange for printing of cards to give away and for this you can choose one photograph representing your body of work.

According to the quality of the work submitted, we will be able to get a reading as to the "fit" for the exhibition.

Good luck!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Excellent.
I would like to submit some projects of mines which I include herewith.
I think the submission to the curators can be done without any firm compromize. If they accept it is already a great step and fantastic to begin with.
Then, we have the financial issue. The mentioned amount is huge for me but something can be arranged.
My prints are only on A5, A4 and A3+ sheets of paper.
A5 = 14.85 cm x 21.00 cm = 5.85 in x 8.27 in
A4 = 29.70 x 21.00 = 11.69 in x 8.27 in
A3+ = 32.8 cm x 48.3 cm = 12.91 in x 19.02 in

Perhaps these sizes are too humble but the quality is pretty good on both. :)
Larger prints could be done but then I would have to order them somewhere as you know, I print my own work in the sizes mentioned above.
I have also Folios of my work which are in fact, a small collection of 5 prints in a sophisticated and exquisite envelope.
A simple and naive :) question: how much can a 32.8 in x 48.3 in be sould !
I have 5 (!) projects to submit. 1 with 19 images and 4 with 15 images each !
Am I overdoing ? Is this too much ?
How am I supposed to post here the images ? One by one or a sheet with lots of them ?
Or rather as usual larger and with canvas ?
i-vRTXQSm-X2.jpg

i-vnMqbSd-X2.jpg

i-cdWJ4KN-X2.jpg

i-Kpz3dLZ-X2.jpg

James Lemon

Excellent.
I would like to submit some projects of mines which I include herewith.
I think the submission to the curators can be done without any firm compromize. If they accept it is already a great step and fantastic to begin with.
Then, we have the financial issue. The mentioned amount is huge for me but something can be arranged.
My prints are only on A5, A4 and A3+ sheets of paper.
A5 = 14.85 cm x 21.00 cm = 5.85 in x 8.27 in
A4 = 29.70 x 21.00 = 11.69 in x 8.27 in
A3+ = 32.8 cm x 48.3 cm = 19.91 in x 19.02 in

Perhaps these sizes are too humble but the quality is pretty good on both. :)
Larger prints could be done but then I would have to order them somewhere as you know, I print my own work in the sizes mentioned above.
I have also Folios of my work which are in fact, a small collection of 5 prints in a sophisticated and exquisite envelope.
A simple and naive :) question: how much can a 32.8 in x 48.3 in be sould !
I have 5 (!) projects to submit. 1 with 19 images and 4 with 15 images each !
Am I overdoing ? Is this too much ?
How am I supposed to post here the images ? One by one or a sheet with lots of them ?
Or rather as usual larger and with canvas ?
i-vRTXQSm-X2.jpg

i-vnMqbSd-X2.jpg

i-cdWJ4KN-X2.jpg

i-Kpz3dLZ-X2.jpg

Hello Antonio

These are beautiful !

Best,regards

James

Asher Kelman

i-TfZMh9f-X2.jpg

i-p9LHbhP-X2.jpg

Shall I make a gallery and share it with you with all the images instead ?

All the pictures should be as you have posted, here, just 4-6 total per defined set with a common motif, (there could be 20 per set for us to look at later, but for now 4-6 is sufficient) at the large size you have chosen. So for this first series, your submission, for now, is complete. You can still submit another 4-6 from any other set you have. Thanks for kicking off the ball. Now we need others to follow!

For nudes, post the title and description and sizes of the work here with a link to the picture in this section for figure studies.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher, do you want me to repeat the whole process without matts ?

I can start from scratch if you wish...

Not at all! ?

Just need to know the bare print size of the actual paper edges of the print! Just add a note explaining print size for each series, width then height in inches or Cm. Just state the units.

Thanks,

Asher

Doug Herr

California wildlife, part 1

From my California wildlife series

8" x 10" print with 12" x 14" mat/frame:

anhumm19.jpg

10" x 14" print with 16" x 20" mat/frame:

bthare06.jpg

anhumm06.jpg

10" x 15" print with 16" x 21" mat/frame:

gbhero05.jpg

nrotte15.jpg

11" x 14" print with 17" x 20" mat/frame:

gregre03.jpg

continued, next post...

Rachel McLain

Mine

I'd be interested if you feel like you'd like to include a few of mine. Here's a taste of a series I do with reflections and shadows. All taken on the same surface in natural light but the surface looks very different depending on the time of day and the weather.

I generally print at 16x20 (and usually on metallic paper, FWIW).

These are all pretty new and most don't have titles yet.

DSC_0069_5417%2520smaller.jpg

Fragile%2520DSC_0047_5375%2520smaller.jpg

DSC_0130_5409%2520smaller.jpg

DSC_0103_5414%2520smaller.jpg

DSC_0153_5412%2520smaller.jpg

Rach

Rachel McLain

Thanks, Asher. I usually print 16x20, but can print other sizes, of course. I like the tiny macros in large size so that's why I print larger.

Rachel

Asher Kelman

I wish to commend Antonio, Rachel and Doug for the wonderful submissions. Thanks for including paper print size. If the works are mounted on Dibond, then they will use up less room on a wall, but I am open to frames too. Print on the best paper, mount of the dibond in Los Angeles and we'd save some shipping costs.

I will post some of my own work too and we also have submissions from Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee.

Don't hold back as the space can get filled up!

I can order a large booth but once done, I cannot hang pictures you've not submitted nor create new wall space once filled!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Some of my recent work.

1. Jessica:

_DSC7474 Jessica _"Waiting"_800pixels.jpg

_DSC7561_Jessica_"Deliver Us" 800.jpg

_DSC7739_Jessica_Lillies_and_Lace_800_pixels.jpg

Asher Kelman: 13 LA Women Series: Jessica

Archival Pigment on Hahnemülle Gloss Paper
26"x38"" print, 29"x42"paper
Each an Edition of 5

I generally make just one print at about 70" high size, reserved for later sale, 5 42" high and then 10 at 1/4 size, corresponding approximately to Antonio's A3+

Asher

Asher Kelman

2. Vanessa:

_DSC7866 Vanessa - Gold on Gold 800.jpg

Asher Kelman: 13 LA Women Series: Vanessa
Archival Pigment on Hahnemülle Gloss Paper
26"x38"" print, 29"x42"paper
Edition of 5

I love them all but this picture has gold, the color of my mother and sisters hair, and Sienna Italy evenings!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have more and will show them later. For now you can see the kind of work I have got ready. Nudes and glamor can be submitted too, but send them by PM or else link to a thread in the section on nudes as this thread has to be suitable for the workplace.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Lovely work, Asher! Do you print your own or do you send it out? (I'm trying to picture what a 70" high print looks like! Wow!)

My work is printed at a local atelier and I'm likely the worst and most fussy client! The printer is a 12 ink Canon pigment in machine, 60" wide.

It dries so well and even uncoated, withstood my test of running warm water for 5 minutes without any harm!

Asher

Antonio Correia

... If the works are mounted on Dibond, then they will use up less room on a wall, but I am open to frames too. Print on the best paper, mount of the dibond in Los Angeles and we'd save some shipping costs... Asher

Thank you Asher for implementing the work of others with your own.
But here I have a little issue. My prints are supposed to be framed. This is the reason why they have a small margin between the end of the image itself and the end of the paper on each side and top, exception made to the bottom part because of text.
Under this basis the table I have posted before is perfectly valid with however, some small adjustments.

But, if the paper is to be directly applied on Dibond the dimensions shown are incorrect. Why ? Because I want all my images to be placed inside it's support (the Dibond) with certain visual related proportions.
I would say that if photographs are to be applied on Dibond or similar then they are restricted to A5, A4 and A3+ sizes.
In fact, for financial reasons I would - if I may - opt for the Dibond solution. Under this assumption, the measures of the images as stated in the grid I posted before, are incorrect. I will have to establish the image size (printed area) and visually evaluate the impact of this decision experimenting and testing before final work is sent.
-
Other points I am concerned about are the investment I would have - if selected - to make. Money is very expensive these days, you know... :)
And for how much could one image - from an unknown photographer across the pond - could be sold ?

Here I show you three very different presentations. I do not like neither of them although the last one is near the acceptable presentation. However, certain variations will be visible as the relative proportions of the paper are different when using the A3+ as this paper format is not an A native.

Thank you for your attention and concern ! :)

i-f5DC3j6-X2.jpg

But, after reading this post over and over, I decided to show you what I think would look like a final presentation on an A3+ less 2mm all around for Dibond cutting adjustments.
The black canvas is just to pop the final work on the light area of the forum.
-
Some minutes later
Trying to suit the image bellow to the A3+ I came to the conclusion that this format will have to be cut more than 2mm. Oh well, I am being very picky am I not ?
Presentation IS very important !

i-MbLJg78-X2.jpg