• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ice Car Racing

A popular winter sport in Thunder Bay takes place on frozen Lake Superior. Enthusiasts clear enough snow from an inlet to form a racetrack. The races differ depending on whether the car tyres have chains, studs or are just plain rubber. Most Sundays from January to March, a couple of dozen cars compete before a few hundred spectators. This photo was taken just after an afternoon's racing. Some cars were already departed, with the track being ploughed back to smoothness in preparation for the following week's racing.

We call the hills in the background the Sleeping Giant after an aboriginal legend. They are emblematic of Thunder Bay, a major tourist attraction and overlooked the underwater site of Canada's first silver mine in the 1860s. Cheers, Mike.

ice_car_racing_by_tricky_trees-d65addo.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A popular winter sport in Thunder Bay takes place on frozen Lake Superior. Enthusiasts clear enough snow from an inlet to form a racetrack. The races differ depending on whether the car tyres have chains, studs or are just plain rubber. Most Sundays from January to March, a couple of dozen cars compete before a few hundred spectators. This photo was taken just after an afternoon's racing. Some cars were already departed, with the track being ploughed back to smoothness in preparation for the following week's racing.

We call the hills in the background the Sleeping Giant after an aboriginal legend. They are emblematic of Thunder Bay, a major tourist attraction and overlooked the underwater site of Canada's first silver mine in the 1860s. Cheers, Mike.

ice_car_racing_by_tricky_trees-d65addo.jpg

Michael,

Looks Fabulous to me. Is this with the new black digicam?

I notice the ad placards. What about food stands?

............. so how long are you there?

Asher

Michael,

Looks Fabulous to me. Is this with the new black digicam?

I notice the ad placards. What about food stands?

............. so how long are you there?

Asher

Yes, my 47th photo with the Sigma Asher. There's a hotdog/hamburger/fries stand, porta-potties, etc. The racing starts early in the afternoon and continues for 4-5 hours. The current inlet has been in use for about four years. The previous inlet was more open to the lake with the cars prone to skid off the track and toward open water - ugh. Happily no car went down but a plough did break through the ice in a shallow section with no casualties apart from cold legs for the driver. Until a couple of years ago, motorcycles were used for ice racing, too. Cheers, Mike.