• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another Elk in the snow -

Jaime Johnson

http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

ISO 400
f5.6
1/640th

p1002160841-4.jpg

Jaime johnson: Another Elk in the Snow

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

ISO 400
f5.6
1/640th

p1002160841-4.jpg

Jaime johnson: Another Elk in the Snow

Jaime, how magnificent a creature! This is hunting season and a great male. So is he just randomly to be shot as the whim of a hunter or are there some rules to protect such glorious creatures. After all, the most magnificent should mate and ensure the continuation of the best genes. Since you took this picture you also could have just as easily have shot it dead. After all it just a matter of having an aligned site and squeezing a trigger instead of a shutter!

Do you wear bright clothes to alert the hunters so they won't shoot you, in fact how do hunters, themselves protect against being shot, LOL!

Asher

Jaime Johnson

Jaime, how magnificent a creature! This is hunting season and a great male. So is he just randomly to be shot as the whim of a hunter or are there some rules to protect such glorious creatures. After all, the most magnificent should mate and ensure the continuation of the best genes. Since you took this picture you also could have just as easily have shot it dead. After all it just a matter of having an aligned site and squeezing a trigger instead of a shutter!

Do you wear bright clothes to alert the hunters so they won't shoot you, in fact how do hunters, themselves protect against being shot, LOL!

Asher

It is only archery season right now, so the hunters have to be close to their prey. I used to hunt (20 years ago) and still respect others rights to hunt, but I realized long ago that it is best to live and let live (for me). I really enjoy waking up in the morning, I'm sure he feels the same!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It is only archery season right now, so the hunters have to be close to their prey. I used to hunt (20 years ago) and still respect others rights to hunt, but I realized long ago that it is best to live and let live (for me). I really enjoy waking up in the morning, I'm sure he feels the same!

Jaime,

Are there any laws to protect these fine males or can one go out and simple shoot as many as one can see? Does the US Dept of Game and Fishing add up the total bull kill and then cut of the hunting when there's a limit reached?

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Jaime,

Are there any laws to protect these fine males or can one go out and simple shoot as many as one can see? Does the US Dept of Game and Fishing add up the total bull kill and then cut of the hunting when there's a limit reached?

Asher

Hi Asher,
Each U.S. state administers their own hunting and fishing regulations.
It is an incredibly complex process, governed by license type (specie and type of weapon, i.e bow, black powder or long gun or hand gun), residency and game limits.
Bag limits are determined by current year field surveys and prior year's game taken numbers.
With big game, seldom are more than one allowed to be taken, usually males of a specific size.
Females require a separate licence, or an addition to your current license.
In reality, this magnificent creature is pretty safe.
Odds are he'll live to see another day.
Just to give you an idea of how complex the process is, just google a state's name plus "fish and game".

Jaime Johnson

Jaime,

He can see you !!

do you have any more of this - head down and then raising up pehaps?

I have never seen beasts like this before in the wild so the whole thing is new to me.

nice work!

I shot several hundred over the half hour we were with him - head upp, head down, looking head on....