• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Man in Canoe - Bow Canal, London '13

Paul Abbott

I've had this one in the 'cooler' for awhile now and with a fresh and unbiased look I can still see what I intended for this photograph to work maybe...

Bow Canal, London '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Snap focus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've had this one in the 'cooler' for awhile now and with a fresh and unbiased look I can still see what I intended for this photograph to work maybe...

Bow Canal, London '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Snap focus

Paul,

You are such a disciplined fellow! This picture is so well designed, I couldn't crop anywhere without breaking the picture and it's spell. It's once again geometrically organized. splendid picture!

I am so impressed and once again you give a great show.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, I forgot to ask for 'critique desired' on this image, up above alongside the title...
Do you see the analogy that I captured in this shot? I think that analogy is such a worthy thing to photograph and capture because it's one of those rare things, but the image overall has to be interesting and that's what I was worried about with this one...

Thanks once again for your comment, I appreciate it.

Asher Kelman

Yes, I would. The dock has no interest, and is filled with confusing lines. The man is laboring with the canoe - that's the story. You want to see that whole story unfold against the lonely waters.

It's quite rare that I would recognize any shortcoming in Paul's pictures. However, here you might be correct. This is also a reason for being able to shoot a sequence of pictures to get that perfect positioning.

I do not generally track fast moving objects! Mostly I use bracketing of exposure on the Ricoh GR. but I guess it could be setup for rapid sequential shooting.

I'll have to try it!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Martin, thanks for looking and commenting.

The jetty was an important factor in this scene for me because the rope and pole offered some analogy with the guy's upraised arm in the boat. So...if I had depressed the shutter a second later it wouldn't have worked in this respect.

Regards...

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Artist's intent always trumps the outside comments. Thanks for explaining.

Once again, this shows the great value of curators in exhibitions where their introductions lead us to better appreciate fine works. It's generous when we hear the intent from the artist too!

Asher