• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom: File Handling/ Copy Photos as DNG and import?

nyschulte

Hi Jeremy,

I use this option exclusively.

Nikon D200 shooting RAW. Data read from an external reader and import from there into LightRoom.

This means that the NEF files is converted into DNG and stored into the location you specified (on your local disk / external disk, wherever you want).
For my part i organize simply by camera brand/model (sometines i use a Canon Powershot G5 or a Sony T9) then by year then by date. For each level a new directory is created.
For the 2 other camera's i shoot jpeg, so i do only a copy.

Only some Metadata automatically added and that's it.

Not sure about the support for the 1Ds, but i would think that 'older' equipment is more likely supported than the newest (hottest?) stuff.

Nicolas

Jeremy Jachym

pro member
"This means that the NEF files is converted into DNG and stored into the location you specified (on your local disk / external disk, wherever you want)."

No Asher, I haven't tried it, becasue I hadn't the foggiest idea what it's for and even after Nicolas' fine description (thank you) my understanding is still somewhat fuzzy. Is it correct to state this is soley a data related function, designed for storing EXIF data about the RAW file... or something like that? NEF, EXIF... UM, definitely not a part of my everyday workflow vocab.

JJ

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Jeremy,

DNG is Adobe's Digital Negative Format - it's an open RAW file format, as opposed to the proprietry RAW files that different camera manufacturers use (NEF for Nikon, CR2 for Canon).

The 'Copy as DNG and import' means that:

a) Your files will be copied rather than moved

b) They will be converted to the DNG RAW Format rather than be stored as the NEF RAW format. The EXIF data (shutter speed, aperture etc) will be stored in the DNG file as well.

In the lightroom preferences under the 'import' tab there is an option to embed the original RAW file (the NEF file in your case). This does mean that you end up with a bigger file, but it means you can always get your original NEF files back.

I've never used the option myself - I tend to copy my files in their CR2 format. The idea behind the DNG format is that because it is an open format anyone can write programs to handle the files, and that all camera makes can theoretically be represented by a single file format. Wikipediea link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative_%28file_format%29

Lightroom can handle DNGs just the same as NEFs.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Ron,

There are reasons why we need 'open raw' files. Imho dng is sort of watering down the drive to persuade the major camera manufacturers to be open, Adobe with dng have come up with a sort of proprietary stop gap suggestion. There is an interesting spat here - http://openraw.org/node/1548 - but exploring the rest of the openraw.org site may give a better idea of what we may really, really want.

afaik, the usa gov archive digital images as tiff files, believing that is the best format for future proofing the images for long term storage.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

At the moment, afaik, dng format is owned by Adobe, they have not yet turned it over to any outside standards agency. (see the the penultimate para in http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/DNG_primer_manufacturers.pdf) unless that article has been superseded. The word 'proprietary' refers to ownership.

Adobe themselves are saying to also keep your raw files - from the para before that -

Adobe recommends that, when photographers use the Adobe DNG Converter for archival purposes, they should maintain both the resulting DNG file and the original camera-specific file. The DNG file offers greater assurance of longevity, but the camera-specific file may contain more metadata.
The implications of this is well explained in the link I gave in my previous post.

Best wishes,
Ray