• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leica S2 - The dog that doesn't bark

Doug Kerr

Do we have any insight into why, shortly after the notice of the announcement of the Leica S2 appeared on Rob Galbraith's news site, the notice disappeared, and no sign of the new machine is now to be seen there?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Doug,

You probably caught them in a transition. It's always been there each time I checked. Could be it was removed to correct it! Maybe they read more details somewhere else, like here, for example. Still it's there now!

Asher

Doug Kerr

You probably caught them in a transition. It's always been there each time I checked. Could be it was removed to correct it! Maybe they read more details somewhere else, like here, for example. Still it's there now!

How curious. Would you be so kind as to send me a link so I can find it. I guess I'm just getting to old for this form of combat! (I'm even older than John McCain, you know - but not by much.)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

How curious. Would you be so kind as to send me a link so I can find it. I guess I'm just getting to old for this form of combat! (I'm even older than John McCain, you know - but not by much.)
Hi Doug,

I checked and the notice is here. However, the actual "more" that he links too is hardly any more. I think we have more details and deeper discussion, here in OPF on the S2 than most other places I have identified. I'll keep rechecking.

Asher

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
It barks...

Leica is a major sponsor here at the Palm Springs Photo Festival. They do have a very early (not even pre-production) S2 which I at least got to handle.

It seems no heavier than a 1D series Canon but more like the Leica R9 in shape. It is not as physically big as I had expected but certainly substantial. The lenses are big impressive hunks of engineered black metal and glass. Autofocus seemed quick and the viewfinder is big and bright.

In discussion with the reps it looks like this will be a first for a MF digital with high iso ability, at least 1600 and maybe 3200 at reduced resolution.

Leica also realizes that for pros to adopt this system, there will need be some serious upgrades to service and support to provide quick repair turnarounds and immediate loaners. So there is planning in place for making this happen too.

If the camera lives up to plans, it would be an optimum tool for my work. But then there is the price to consider.... We will see.

Autofocus seemed quick and the viewfinder is big and bright.

I handled one during a recent trade show in the Netherlands. Autofocus was, in my opinion, very slow. I of course tried to focus on difficult subjects (dark, but with details), and it took the better part of a full second to acquire focus confirmation. Maybe it was a lesser tuned specimen, but I was seriously underwhelmed.

Bart

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Leica has a very steep series of hills to climb with the S2.

If the camera lives up to plans, it would be an optimum tool for my work. But then there is the price to consider.... We will see.

Ian, can you elaborate on why you envision the S2 to be "... an optimum tool" for your work? How would it be an improvement over the camera(s) you're currently using?

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Ian, can you elaborate on why you envision the S2 to be "... an optimum tool" for your work? How would it be an improvement over the camera(s) you're currently using?

First I very much like medium format, I do see a difference between mf and 35mm format. The physical size and design of the Leica is much more 35mm type and really lends itself to faster handling. It also would be an easier carry in a bag. And if it can give me iso1600 that would really be a value for some of my shooting. Next would be the lenses, the lineup of Leica lenses for this looks very versatile for me. And I would be very intrigued to see the quality of a Leica lens in this larger format.

Asher Kelman

First I very much like medium format, I do see a difference between mf and 35mm format. The physical size and design of the Leica is much more 35mm type and really lends itself to faster handling. It also would be an easier carry in a bag. And if it can give me iso1600 that would really be a value for some of my shooting. Next would be the lenses, the lineup of Leica lenses for this looks very versatile for me. And I would be very intrigued to see the quality of a Leica lens in this larger format.
Ian,

Glad you cpould post your feelings on this new camera. Leica is in a special position having a loyal base of diehard supporters. The cost of upgrading the Leica R system must have concerned them and as a business model, it might not have offered much opportunity for new lens sales as most guys already have their lenses! However, a new camera that really could push the usability envelope would mean new lens sales! By working from the ground up they can design lens with the body and not be limited to ideas that were made for the Leica film era cameras.

With the very best glass, coatings, mechanics and a proven sensor they have a fair chance of getting Leica fok to upgrade and those with Canon's and Nikons at $8000 might think that for an extra $3,200 or so they get a much better sensor.

I really hope they can do it and by the effort they put into this show, they mean to do just that!

Asher