• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss Announces New Lens!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Herbert Keppler's Blog is revealing

"I ask asked a major planner of the new Zeiss camera and lenses, Dr. Winfried Scherle, Vice-President and general manager in the Camera Lens Division of Carl Zeiss AG to defend the decision. His answers to my somewhat sticky questions, on behalf of Carl Zeiss, did no such thing."

http://keppler.popphoto.com/blog/2006/09/speaking_frankl.html

"There are demanding photographers who find the images resulting from even the best digital cameras lacking in some aspects. Those who are familiar with the whole gamut of quality inherent in a very well taken photo may find the Zeiss Ikon to be the most compact and versatile tool of taking such photos.

Images captured on film can be safely stored and reliably retrieved over time spans of more than a century. On the other hand, digitally stored data are often subject to sudden loss within less than a decade. Therefore Hollywood stores all important movies on silver halide film, even if they were digitally taken.

Film capture still provides better dynamic range, higher sensitivity to light without image artifacts and the ability to capture long exposures of over 30 seconds."

Almost incidentally, a new 35mm f2.0 lens is announced!

zeissinterview_zm235zf2_2.jpg

"SLR cameras and their lenses are bigger and heavier, almost twice that of a RF camera and lenses (see picture at right comparing a 2/35 ZM for Zeiss Ikon rangefinder cameras and the 2/35 ZF for Nikon SLRs). This allows you for example to take much more discrete pictures."

Obviously, this lens can be adapted with a Nikon to Eos adapter to use with Canon DSLR's too!

This great news!

Now why don't they just do that directly: Zeiss lenses with Canon mounts?

Asher

Tom Wilk

Somebody somewhere on the internet will compare this to the Canon 35/1.4L - it's bound to happen. Although I expect this Zeiss lens to be a great performer, I don't expect Canon to be embarassed.

Now, if they produce a 21 mm f/2.8...... ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm now seriously thinking of getting one of these Cosina/Zeiss cameras. A cheap step before going for a digital rangefinder.

Beautiful thing is that whatever lenses one has will work with either!

Asher