• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aperture 1.5 Speed Question

This appears to be a new topic, so here it is, moved here. Asher

After having updated Aperture to V1.5, I don't believe that it would be very good advertising were this software made available to the Windows platform. I am both dismayed and surprised that a company that can produce an OS as excellent as Mac OSX could come out with such a poorly functioning program.
I find that the program continues to be slow even with just one small project of a few (1Ds Mk2) images. It is an understatement to say that I continue to be disappointed. My primary interest is in getting what I consider optimal Raw conversions of a limited number of images at a given time, something I've been doing now for almost four years with a number of converters (primarily C1, on occasion DPP, ACR and now Lightroom beta 4). The user interface seems more intended as an exercise in self-advertisement than to take the user into account. The font sizes in dialogue boxes and panels illustrate this, as does the procrustean format of the panels and the main program window which does not appear to remember how it has been configured from one session to the next. I have not succeeded in finding a way to export a version in the background (C1 has been doing this for 4 years and Lightroom also affords this capability) so that I can continue working on images. There appear to be so many glitches in the glitter. The tonal correction capabilities are to my mind inferior to Lightroom and ACR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So guys, hows Aperture working for you know!

Remember, Aperture needs a good graphics card to work very fast!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Ralph, it's a said thing:

on my PPC Quad (4 x 2.5 GHz) with 4.5 GB of RAM, a Raptor boot disk and 256 MB of VideoRAM:
its useless with 1 Ds-2-files....

I trashed it, and will not install it, before apple will improve its coding for PPC; which will probably never happen. It seems to be faster on the intelmacs and with smaller files....

I didn't find the conversions to be excellent, btw.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I played 1/2 hour with it and uninstalled it (from dual 2.5 Ghz G5 - 4 Gb of ram, blablabla).
End of the story for now.

Asher Kelman

Well who has Aperture on an Intel Mac?

I tried the Leaf Capture software on my G4 850MHZ Powerbook and it was so sloowwwww!

I have already resigned myself to needed a new Powerbook.

Beforehand I'd like to know that aperture can function on it!

Asher

nicolas claris

you need a click image to make it easy;-)

Powerbook are not Intel based.
If I be you I would care if the Leaf Capture software is running under universal binary otherwise it will for sure run thru Rosetta, but I'm not sure it will faster than on a G5.
G4 is prehistoric!

Asher Kelman

Nicolas and Michael,

I did know that, LOL!

I'm just hesitant about which to get. Also whether a new one is due?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nicolas Claris said:
But I'm still waiting for the successor of the Canon 1DsMKII...
Na !;-)

That, my good friend, is, IMHO, likely to be in March 2007 :)

However, it could be that instead of what has been tested, the whole thing will be s surprise with an entirely new CMOS tri-level sensor, with local contrast optimization, and binning options but then I'm dreaming again!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
That, my good friend, is, IMHO, likely to be in March 2007 :)

However, it could be that instead of what has been tested, the whole thing will be s surprise with an entirely new CMOS tri-level sensor, with local contrast optimization, and binning options but then I'm dreaming again!

Asher

Plus a wider dynamic range; thats would be nice...

nicolas claris

Dreams

Michael Fontana said:
You'll need new lenses as well, though

See, if already now - with the 1 Ds-2 - we runn at the border, how will it be with some MPs more ?
yes! a 500 mm IS ...

and PLEASE MISTER CANON, a real ultra wide angle (12 mm is OK), with no CA, no distortion, pure corners, fast as ƒ1.2
a DREAM,

DREAMS, DREAMS, my friends, new year is coming...
what DREAMS (photographywise) do you all want to be realized during the upcoming WONDERFULL 2007 ?

Michael Fontana

pro member
>a real ultra wide angle (12 mm is OK), with no CA, no distortion, pure corners, fast as ƒ1.2
a DREAM, <

Nicolas, I'm glad, you didn't asked for a 10 mm.... ;-)

and would shake Mr. Canons hand, just for having a decent wide...
I can see your needs for the interiors of the yacht's, my preferencies wouldn't go as wide as that.

I'd like very much to have more open workflows, giving the photographer the choice of tools and not the software engineers; Aperture is a good example, as you can't use it with a other RC.

Lightzone is giving up its RT (Retouch) version and wants people to bforce (and buy) the full Lightzone workflow.(I bought a license a few monthes ago)

iVMP was bought by Micrsosoft in June; now, they make a part of a Suite out of it, but with limited abilities for mac-user - already in the announcements 9 monthes ahead...

okay, this wan't really straight photography-specific....

Eric Hiss

getting back to aperture

I have a quad G5 with 4gb RAM and i think Aperture is doing pretty well on the conversions from my 1ds and 5D. I just wish it would also work with my Leica DMR files. I don't feel that its slow once it builds the previews. I had my catalog of images in iview previously and iview is not as good to work with and crashes all the time at least for me once I got over about 50,000 images. There are certain images that I'd rather use other RAW converters for but not as many as you might think. They are doing a very good job for a relatively new application and I expect it to get better.

Now come on Apple ... give me support for the Leica DNG files!
Eric
btw- that ties into the new camera posts above. I am not really waiting for the new 1Ds III...I just want better lenses and more leica lenses. The DMR already gives me another stop of DR than my 5D and I can use my leica R glass on my 5D when I want...best of both worlds. I just used my new to me 50 mm f/2 summicron on my canon and it blew me away. Amazing how much better this is than my Canon 50mm f/1.4. Just incredible - I didn't think my 5D could make that kind of image. I've found out what canon lacks is the lenses. I think the zeiss lenses are better too. Heck even my old oly 55 f/1.2 that I got for a song on ebay is better.

Bill Bunton

Michael Fontana said:
on my PPC Quad (4 x 2.5 GHz) with 4.5 GB of RAM, a Raptor boot disk and 256 MB of VideoRAM:
its useless with 1 Ds-2-files....

What video card? On my quad with the stock 6600 video card it was horrible. Then I got the X1600G5 when it became available, and Aperture is now quite usable. Depending on what's being done, the speed improvement is 2x to 4x.

Asher Kelman

Is anyone running Aperture on a dual 2.3GHZ G5? What graphics card and how does it go; crawling or like gangbusters?

Asher