• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Life is short so stay up Late!

James Lemon

i-5xctBwv-L.jpg

Paul Abbott

What were your intentions with this one, James.
With respect, I don't see it as anything more than a snap. When I first looked at it I thought of what could have been, something like a more environmental approach. And then I thought of W. Eugene smith's 'Country Doctor' image and wished you had done something similar.

Regards...

James Lemon

What were your intentions with this one, James.
With respect, I don't see it as anything more than a snap. When I first looked at it I thought of what could have been, something like a more environmental approach. And then I thought of W. Eugene smith's 'Country Doctor' image and wished you had done something similar.

Regards...

Hi Paul

I shoot a Leica and snaps are what the camera was originally designed for. The intention should be obvious to anyone.

"Snapshots
and family album photographs replace the human memory and
are valued because they show how it has-been. It is certainly not a
coincidence that Barnack devised the Leica camera as a portable
easy-to-use design specifically for family snapshots and the capture of scenes in daily-life."

I am not interested in any theories although they may provide an interesting academic debate for some.

James

Andy brown

James, last time I saw my G.P he said something along the lines of " fittest specimen I've ever seen, six weeks to live!"

So yes, your howdy doody looking medico.... I can relate.

Andy brown

Surely such a discerning camera deserves a discerning eye...?

Paul, I think you're missing something here.

As far as I know, James is an amateur with excellent abilities.
This particular image may not be his strongest but if you were to look back over his offerings from the last 12 months or so, you'd see a consistent capacity to capture poignant moments and present them with simple but beautiful B+W renderings.

In other words, I don't think you should be questioning the discerning nature of his well tuned eye.

Paul Abbott

Andy, by no means am I questioning his ability. My comment was in regard to the word 'snap' by myself in lieu of the image and my response to James seemingly adhering to that concept. A 'snapshot' implies to me a lack of planning and framing over composition, etc.
For me, the quality of a camera like this one deserves a discerning eye because of it's image rendering and surely you would want to show that off in a great photograph, not in a 'snap'.

Andy brown

O.K, apologies if I was misconstruing your thoughts.

I'm not necessarily crazy about this image but I do think that in conjunction with the title, it forms a cute narrative (not unlike a Larson cartoon).

I only wish there were more doctors like him..... " you're gonna die someday, may as well have some fun in the meantime"

It resonates with me anyway... /pours a third glass of cab sauv.

James Lemon

James, last time I saw my G.P he said something along the lines of " fittest specimen I've ever seen, six weeks to live!"

So yes, your howdy doody looking medico.... I can relate.

Hello Andy

He has been my physician since I was a teenager. I only go see the doctor if I absolutely have too.

There are (aprox) 8,760 hours in a year so if you live to the age of 65 you will have lived a little over

570,000 hours. Sixty five years sounds like a long time but 570,000 hours certainly doesn't so life is

short.

Best, regards
James