• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Finding the image

Tom dinning

Registrant*
There are many times, on returning from a photographic excursion and examining the results, I find an image that puzzles me.

This is one such image.

_DSF5828 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

At first, it appears as though I have made a mistake, but this cannot be the case since I have no idea what the purpose of the image might have been. Perhaps this is the way I had intended it to appear. If is was taken unknowingly there is, equally, no possibility of a mistake, since there was no purpose in the first place.

I might be tempted to delete such images but I have learnt to rely on my intuition and spontaneity as a source of images that test my capacity to interpret my own intentions.

The process I apply to such images is simple.

1. Ignore any camera settings. That seems appropriate since I don't remember any attentiveness to the matter at the time.

2. Stare at the picture over a long time period and on many occasions.

3. Pay attention to my thoughts.

4. Play with the post processing as I think.

5. Stop when the image is clear and coincide with my thoughts.

6. Drink at least 3 glasses of chilled white wine during the editing process.

At the end of this process, I know exactly why I took the photo - it gave me an excuse to drink 3 glasses of wine at 10 am.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
One thing I have noticed in such images is the emphasis on focus blur and camera shake.

During my meditative moods, I have realised that this may well be intentional.

The ageing process has diminished my eyesight and the ability to hold the camera still. This is, to some extent, how I see the world, although slightly exaggerated.

Perhaps my intention is to document such a decline. Perhaps it is an artistic expression I am developing.
Then again, it could be because I leave my camera switched on and I keep bumping the touch screen.

Nevertheless, I am pursuing the lines of thought and enjoying the outcomes.

I remember a visually impaired friend of mine telling me that the most confusing time for him was when confronted with a crowd of people.

This is possibly what he saw.

DSCF3981 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

I am aware of my own fears in crowds, but for a different reason. I felt that fear when getting on and off ferries in Venice. This image certainly emphasises that fear for me.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
One thing I find myself emphasising is the nature of time and how it is seen, perceived and captured by the ungainly time measurer I carry with me - the camera.

There is certainly a correlation between shutter speed and image sharpness. There is also a similar correlation between aperture and sharpness. The explanation I will leave to my learned friend, Doug.

In simple terms, though, the photographer may not consider the technical aspects but the emotional ones.

How is time related to our concept of the things we see and experience which we endeavour to record in our images?

What I am finding is that only by slowing down the shutter speed; ie, increasing the time duration for the recording of the image, can I gain a greater understanding of how time affects my artistic vision of the world and my experiences.

This image may seem a bit of a mess to some and finish up in the bin.

_DSC2228 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

For me, it represents not a single moment but a progression of actions and changes taking place in a finite amount of time.

The longer the time duration is, the clearer the imagery; ie, the thoughts and purpose that lies within me to record and present the image.

The presentation is more of a diary, as are most pictures I take.

They are certainly up to interpretation by others and I'm OK with that.

That doesn't change the image in any way. Nor does it affect the way I see it.

I'm still learning how to cope with that concept.

Antonio Correia

I read all your posts, Tom and I found very interesting your thoughts.

I also find quite attractive your images. They are all excellent ones !

Any series of 15 ? ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

Images from a camera can represent so may purposes including none at all. The circumstances could be worth listening too, but in most cases, it's the image itself and how it plays on our minds that creates significance.

In this case, I could care less about the lens, the aperture, ISO, presence of grain or ant such detail. I am only concerning with what feelings and thoughts are evoked, regardless of whether or not your fingers tremble or are form as a stallion.

Yes, I might then be interested in your own story of the matter, but only if I can treasure the image enough to linger for its own sake. All trains must either carry passengers or freight. I do not have much interest in empty rail cars or poorly executed photographs.

This "railway carriage" carries freight that is worthy of my time. Here, immediately I am recruited to put behind me what is actually real, to enter this virtual universe that you have created and shared. Right away, I bring in my own memories of crowds and circumstances where there were too many folk to even focus on a single face or family. The blur, however achieved, works well to project a disturbing feeling of mass unknowable beings, human, but always beyond touch and conversation, each without identity.

Have reached this point, I am free to wander in this imaginary world teeming with untraceable people, bringing with my own pack of goodies to cerebrally "munch on" and emotionally caress, test or prod.

When a work allows one to enter such an "Exploratorium", it more than succeeds as mere "art" that has beauty, memories or entertains. This is art that allows transcendence. Here, the mundane particulars of what "is" facilitates a new journey, elsewhere. We are transported to a personal, ever-changing, meandering but creative path of exploration. Of course, I might be the sole such observer in entire universe who would react thus, but my best bet is that, for the person who pays attention to photographic and painted images, this work will, likely as not, evoke similar sets of evoked response and personally tuned journeys of discovery.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Its what I'm getting at, Asher.

The tools of photography have finally allowed themselves to play a part in understanding the world in which I live. I don't mean the world at large, I literally mean the world that I experience personally and interpret through thoughts and feelings.

Expressing those thoughts and feelings can be expressed in words but art does it so much better.

The trouble is, when clarity of thought is reached in art the viewer will then take that and make their own interpretation.

That's not a bad thing and I must be cautious not to condemn those who don't see what I see or want them to see. Nor should I be offended if they are critical. There is always a temptation for us to change the 'image' into that of our own imagination.

There is always someone out there who 'gets it', though. Those people are rare and should be thanked on the first hand and then avoided like the plague, erstwhile, we become to complacemnt and remain stagnent in our attempts to find our own truth.

Thank you dearly for you comments and insight.

Tom,

Images from a camera can represent so may purposes including none at all. The circumstances could be worth listening too, but in most cases, it's the image itself and how it plays on our minds that creates significance.

In this case, I could care less about the lens, the aperture, ISO, presence of grain or ant such detail. I am only concerning with what feelings and thoughts are evoked, regardless of whether or not your fingers tremble or are form as a stallion.

Yes, I might then be interested in your own story of the matter, but only if I can treasure the image enough to linger for its own sake. All trains must either carry passengers or freight. I do not have much interest in empty rail cars or poorly executed photographs.

This "railway carriage" carries freight that is worthy of my time. Here, immediately I am recruited to put behind me what is actually real, to enter this virtual universe that you have created and shared. Right away, I bring in my own memories of crowds and circumstances where there were too many folk to even focus on a single face or family. The blur, however achieved, works well to project a disturbing feeling of mass unknowable beings, human, but always beyond touch and conversation, each without identity.

Have reached this point, I am free to wander in this imaginary world teeming with untraceable people, bringing with my own pack of goodies to cerebrally "munch on" and emotionally caress, test or prod.

When a work allows one to enter such an "Exploratorium", it more than succeeds as mere "art" that has beauty, memories or entertains. This is art that allows transcendence. Here, the mundane particulars of what "is" facilitates a new journey, elsewhere. We are transported to a personal, ever-changing, meandering but creative path of exploration. Of course, I might be the sole such observer in entire universe who would react thus, but my best bet is that, for the person who pays attention to photographic and painted images, this work will, likely as not, evoke similar sets of evoked response and personally tuned journeys of discovery.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
As I venture down this strange path of space-time, I make many discoveries.

There is a transition between what we call a 'still' photograph and a moving picture.

What I am endeavouring to find is the point at which one turns to another. How far can I stretch the space-time in the still image before it becomes a moving picture?

Its not that I want a moving picture. I want the idea captured in the single frame yet give the illusion of a moving space or objects moving within the space.

But there is more. I'm not sure what it is just yet. I'm still exploring.

Strangely enough, I am turning to quantum theory to help me. Not that I understand quantum theory completely. Who does? They say if you say you understand quantum theory you probably don't. It's certainly testing my mathematics as well as my beliefs and understanding of what?

_DSF5334 by tomdinning0099, on Flickr

fahim mohammed

Tom, I have looked at this post a few times. Read through it once.

I shall look at the images a few more times.

Why? Because they are visually excellent and want me to linger a little longer.

Hold the railing when you are in a moving vehicle!

Take care.

Andy brown

Interesting stuff Tom.
The brief exposure. Fraction of a second or so. So much can happen in that time. Patterns, motions, gestures, some can be anticipated and when they appear as predicted it's wonderful...and when they don't it's even better.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Interesting stuff Tom.
The brief exposure. Fraction of a second or so. So much can happen in that time. Patterns, motions, gestures, some can be anticipated and when they appear as predicted it's wonderful...and when they don't it's even better.

No matter how good we are at looking, we always fail to see it all.

The camera doesn't stop time, it records it. No matter how fast is our shutter, there is always a period of time and a number of events that happen.

It's like macro photography but with the expansion of time instead of space.

What I'm interested in is what we can perceive from that interval of time. I know it's blurry, but our brain is good at interpreting. That's what I'm looking for.

Then again, it could just be an after effect of drugs, alcohol, depression, visual impairment and boredom.

Nevertheless, I fing the search interesting.

I needed a new path to follow.

Cheers, Andy.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, I have looked at this post a few times. Read through it once.

I shall look at the images a few more times.

Why? Because they are visually excellent and want me to linger a little longer.

Hold the railing when you are in a moving vehicle!

Take care.

I look forward to your comments, Fahim.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm using all sorts of processes to make my new discoveries.

I know they have done before. Most things have.

It's my brain that hasn't gone down this path before. Not that I can remember.

On occasions I shoot a number of shots of a single scene.

Combining them can give a sense of time passing but more of a transformation than an analogue progression.

Since Planck has a single time interval that is the smallest possible, perhaps I'm just using that as a guideline or metaphor.

[CENTER[ Untitled2 copy by Tom Dinning, on Flickr[/CENTER]

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Being still is one of my daily ambitions.

It's not easy. There is always something going on. My anxiety in the morning is greatest when I know the clock will start and the world will be set in motion, and I'm not quite ready.

Being still is a challenge. The space I'm in isn't silent, the clock ticks like a bomb.

Slowly, I am coming to the realisation that I can let go of the progress of time.

This is how I see now.

Untitled1 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Stuff happens so quickly. Its difficult to recollect. The camera helps.

But the photograph doesn't help. No matter how I try to capture the moment, the 'decisive moment', I am aware that there is more to what I have captured.

Within the grain and pixels is a world of discovery. It's more of feelings for the moment than reality. It's the fleeting moment expanded.

I'm not capable of remembering everything, nor do I remember with clarity. The image becomes the unclarity of my own memory. Like spreading butter on bread. Or spilling milk.

_DSF4095 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Peter Dexter

I love the three color images especially the two most abstract. Well done and quite interesting. I'm not partial to black & white except in the rarest of circumstances.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I love the three color images especially the two most abstract. Well done and quite interesting. I'm not partial to black & white except in the rarest of circumstances.

Then I will make every effort to alter your preferences, Peter.

As my Old Man would have said, when confronted with my lack of preference for some think he oriented to me:
"Up until now, Tommy boy, up until now".

Have you considered colour as an addition to the photographic process instead of assuming photography must reflect what we see? The absence of colour in a photograph isn't an anomaly or a subtraction. It is a choice. If you prefer colour and view an image which lacks it you are allowing your biassed to interfere with your interpretation. Having a preference and allowing that in your decision making is judgemental not interpretive. Staying with your own judgements differentiates you from those who are willing to learn from others.

I have a preference for green beans over Brussels sprouts but that does not interfere with my understanding of the nutritional value of the sprout.

Consider the image you see as it stands, not as you would like it. That way you and I can better understand each other

Cheers
Tom

Peter Dexter

Well speaking of old men I remember the day 1956 when my father came home with the first color prints from photos he'd taken on our trip to Canada. They were stunning to me. Anyway I came into this world equipped with this wonderful array of cones cels providing me with a trichromatic vision that I love to exercise every chance I get.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Well speaking of old men I remember the day 1956 when my father came home with the first color prints from photos he'd taken on our trip to Canada. They were stunning to me. Anyway I came into this world equipped with this wonderful array of cones cels providing me with a trichromatic vision that I love to exercise every chance I get.

Well, at least you didn't tell me God gave you the cones and its your inalienable right to use them as you wish.

I'll continue to post a monochrome image from time to time. You might change your mind some day.

Besides, the way I understand it, black on a print or screen isn't really black and perhaps you're "excercis-"ing the cones anyway. So why not go with it and see what else you can think.

Cheers
Tom

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I haven't finished yet. There is more to come, I'm sure.

Still. on reflection, it is possible that we as photographers don't capture 'decisive moments' as it has been suggested, but intervals of time where the reference point is the dynamics of the photograph.

Blur is not blur but a capture of that interval of time, showing either the passage of animate objects in the scene or the interaction of the photographer with the environment.

Then again, it may just that I have a shaky hand and a cheap camera.

Maybe this sums it up.

_DSF5993 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Peter Dexter

Another beauty. You've really got this technique down pat. I'm having fun trying to figure out what I'm seeing. And no I'm not superstitious.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Another beauty. You've really got this technique down pat. I'm having fun trying to figure out what I'm seeing. And no I'm not superstitious.

Thanks Pete.

I knew you'd like the colour. I do too. Some days I can be quite colorful.

It's not the technique I'm interested in, it's my perception of what I'm seeing. Linking the visual cortex to the rest of my aging brain is the quest.

That's an interesting perspective you have as well. Linking superstition to my religious reference.
I like that.

Cheers
Tom