• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Noticed... Fuji GX680 prices? ...it's a steal!

-For those that own MFDBs, the camera offers compatibility to all fits but Hass H...
-For those that don't use a view camera, the image area of MFDB sensors will give them the ability to do almost all that a view camera does.
-For those that use multishot backs... they only need a cable ...and can have multishot with movements!

Jerome Marot

Indeed, it seems an interesting choice for someone who needs movements. Why no compatibility to Hasselblad H backs?

Indeed, it seems an interesting choice for someone who needs movements. Why no compatibility to Hasselblad H backs?
I believe it has to do with them "closing" the H system... There is no other explanation, chinese plates that would fit an H back to GX680 are as easy to make as any Contax or Mamyia or V-fit, ...even Kapture group doesn't make an H-plate adapter for GX680 though...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Theodorus,

So tell us what functions would we lose with a used 40 MP back on the GX 80. Also does the model version of the Fuji camera make much of a difference.

Can one just shoot one after the other, or does one have to cock the shutter as in my Bronica SQ?

Asher

Theodorus,

So tell us what functions would we lose with a used 40 MP back on the GX 80. Also does the model version of the Fuji camera make much of a difference.

Can one just shoot one after hte other, or does one have to cock the shutter as in my Bronica SQ?

Asher
He won't lose any of the functions Asher, if the back is a P1 he will have to use a cable called the "one shot"... the rest of the backs don't need that. The fit of the back is retained and the back can be shared with another MF camera without any alteration. In addition, for those that are used to use the camera on tripod, the camera offers back rotation to "landscape" or "portrait" orientation without ever moving the camera... The main purpose of using the Fuji is that it has all the lens movements that a view camera has and they are generous movements, to a degree, that with the smaller image area of modern sensors (the camera can project in a 8x8 image area but uses 6x8 film on rotatable back) the movements are more than enough... The only drawback is that 50mm is the widest one can go. The lenses are very sharp and widely available in silly prices, their smaller image circle (than LF lenses) provides performance similar to modern digital LF lenses. ....And IT'S a DSLR !!!!
Cock the shutter? ...No way! The shutter is electronic and there is a multipin socket that multishot backs connect... Careful with the tripod though, its got to be a really steady one, the camera can't lock the mirror up permanently for multishot and the mirror is huge... With a Fatif tripod I have 100% success in all 16x microstep shooting with it... As of model, if one uses an MFDB, there is no difference between them, in fact there are many which claim that "mod1" has better quality focusing knobs and that the mirror is more quite with "mod1" (there are three models with i & ii being practically the same). I use one (with Contax adapter) alongside my Contax 645 and share my Imacon 528c between them... I sold the Sinar P2 because of it... Have a look at the prices on e-bay, this beast used to be very expensive and is fully compatible to digital!

Asher Kelman

Theo,

Does the Fuji 680 have leaf shutter lenses or mirror lockup so one can avoid /dampen vibration.

Asher

Theodorus,

Does the Fuji 680 have leaf shutter lenses or mirror lockup so one can avoid /dampen vibration.

Asher
Not in multishot Asher... the mirror lock is electronic so the mirror returns after each shot, if it was mechanical, it would function in multishot too... it's the same with the contax, but there the camera is among the "quietest" around, with the Fuji you need a "they don't make it like that anymore" quality tripod and find some appropriate dumbing (sorbothane?) to use between the tripod mounting plate and the camera... I have managed to have (100%) success in 16x multishot captures with it (honest-not one multishot capture lost), but it wasn't easy at all to find the solution.

Asher Kelman

Not in multishot Asher... the mirror lock is electronic so the mirror returns after each shot, if it was mechanical, it would function in multishot too... it's the same with the contax, but there the camera is among the "quietest" around, with the Fuji you need a "they don't make it like that anymore" quality tripod and find some appropriate dumbing (sorbothane?) to use between the tripod mounting plate and the camera... I have managed to have (100%) success in 16x multishot captures with it (honest-not one multishot capture lost), but it wasn't easy at all to find the solution.

Theodorus,

The quietest camera? Was that the Fuji or the Contax? When doing multishot, does the camera just keep raising and lowering its mirror 16 times?

Also are there leaf shutter lenses?

Asher

Theodorus,

The quietest camera? Was that the Fuji or the Contax? When doing multishot, does the camera just keep raising and lowering its mirror 16 times?

Also are there leaf shutter lenses?

Asher
Very quiet (not quietest) refers to Contax, the Fuji is among the most vibrant ones (obviously due to its huge mirror) for multishot (in single shot you lock the mirror and it becomes very quite due to the leaf shutter), that's why you need the best possible tripod with it (if you do multishot) and perhaps some extra (but rigid) absorbment added.
Yes, ...there is no way to do multishot with the Fuji without having the mirror slapping ...21 times (16x is 21 shots, the 5 first ones are leading shots I believe)! ...but as I said, I have managed to overcome the problem and have 100% success in doing 16x multishot with it. All lenses of the Fuji are leaf shutter lenses, max. speed is 1/400 sec. Another good thing with the lenses is that they have no focusing mechanism (they are very accurate designs) which benefits performance a lot, the camera uses a bellows to focus and the focusing knobs are extremely precise, accurate and stable.