• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stacked Chairs '13

Paul Abbott

This was shot handheld in Southwark Cathedral, London and the reason for using an ISO 3200 rating...without any worries about noise either.

Stacked Chairs '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - 1:1/ ISO 3200/ F4/ 1/40sec./ +03 stop exp.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This was shot handheld in Southwark Cathedral, London and the reason for using an ISO 3200 rating...without any worries about noise either.

Stacked Chairs '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - 1:1/ ISO 3200/ F4/ 1/40sec./ +03 stop exp.

Paul,

Yes, this is remarkable! I think now that one can actually go lower in shutter speed to 1/10 second with this camera, if your hands are steady. So the potential for low light work is far greater than I'd imagined!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Yeah Asher, hand holding this camera at low shutter speeds is useful but I find it easier with my camera up at my eye and composing with the GV-1 attached, it's much more steadier that way, as of old.

Asher Kelman

A split-toned B&W conversion this time with a few tweaks...

Chair Stacks '13 - Paul Abbott

Michael,

Who'd know it was split toned? Just seems perfectly as it should appear. Good idea and well done! Also has a Cathedral inheritance of sorts.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Great minds can think alike, even with very different backgrounds, it seems. Today I saw a chance connection.

Amazingly, Maggie Terlecki pointed me to her recent interview of another photographer she admires. The lady, one Thelma Stewart, started photography at age 74, LOL! She's now 92 and so creative. She has made a picture in B&W that resembles your wonderful shot above. Look in Maggie's interview here! Only by chance did I see one picture, "Lines in Black and White" had much in common with the geometry and gleam we see in your own work.

Asher

Paul,

Great minds can think alike, even with very different backgrounds, it seems. Today I saw a chance connection.

Amazingly, Maggie Terlecki pointed me to her recent interview of another photographer she admires. The lady, one Thelma Stewart, started photography at age 74, LOL! She's now 92 and so creative. She has made a picture in B&W that resembles your wonderful shot above. Look in Maggie's interview here! Only by chance did I see one picture, "Lines in Black and White" had much in common with the geometry and gleam we see in your own work.

Asher
Whoa, Asher, I didn't know you knew about my website where I do interviews and articles and such. (I'm actually hoping to cajole a few people here to be featured in the future :-D ) Maybe someone else told you? But yes, Thelma started late although, but she'd want me to say that she's only 84 now! ; a spring chicken, really! :-D LOL
When I saw these chairs, I also thought immediately to her photo as they have very similar geometry. How wild is that?

As for your photo, Paul. It's great. It makes me think of your architectural photos where you have all those wonderful converging lines. Well done!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Paul, a perfect composition!
It seems that 28 mm is a good choice made by Ricoh for a single focal camera, one can easily find a good frame to shoot…

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, thanks for the heads up on Maggie's site and it's content...like Thelma Stewart I was photographing a lot of 'perspective' and 'texture' images so it was great to see what she has been doing...

Maggie, that's a great interview you have in talking with that lady. It is so good to hear about her and her exploits with the camera. She has quite the background and it was all so interesting to read. You did a great job in interviewing her, Maggie.
I can sympathise with her about her regret in not taking up photography sooner, she would certainly have had an even greater opportunity in her worldly travels. She has some great pictures and I especially like her abstract shot of those chairs, that is a real nice composition...her B&W processing of it is lovely too.
Those chairs are pretty close to being the same as what's in my image...unbelievable. :)
I've now bookmarked your site, Maggie...;)

Thanks, Rachel. Thanks, Nicolas...As for the GR's 28mm lens and it's close focusing ability there's not much it can't do really, given it's marque and class. I don't miss my DSLR at all, everytime I go out with a camera it's always the RICOH GR...

Hey Asher, thanks for the heads up on Maggie's site and it's content...like Thelma Stewart I was photographing a lot of 'perspective' and 'texture' images so it was great to see what she has been doing...

Maggie, that's a great interview you have in talking with that lady. It is so good to hear about her and her exploits with the camera. She has quite the background and it was all so interesting to read. You did a great job in interviewing her, Maggie.
I can sympathise with her about her regret in not taking up photography sooner, she would certainly have had an even greater opportunity in her worldly travels. She has some great pictures and I especially like her abstract shot of those chairs, that is a real nice composition...her B&W processing of it is lovely too.
Those chairs are pretty close to being the same as what's in my image...unbelievable. :)
I've now bookmarked your site, Maggie...;)
Thank you, Paul. I'm glad you enjoy your visit; please come again! :)
Maggie