• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My turn to "rant"...I think we should be ashamed of ourselves...

John Angulat

pro member
Ok, so now I have your attention…
I’ll say it again…I think we should be ashamed of ourselves.
We have been selfish in our continued acceptance of praise and comment, and stingy with returning it in kind.
I speaking specifically of Asher, and the way we have treated him.
This is a man who endeavors to reply, in great detail, to virtually every thread started on this forum.
And what does he receive in return? Little or no comment when he shares, what we all know to be, a creative effort he loves – the capture of images at the Colburn School.

I believe we (and I include myself) owe something more to Asher.
His purpose here is not to feed our egos, soothe our ruffled feathers or otherwise provide unending praise.
He is also a photographer, and a darn good one at that.
He deserves more than one reply to his recent thread.
So get off your lazy butts, comment on HIS threads, and make him feel like we’re not a bunch of selfish, self-centered children.

fahim mohammed

++1;

I accept that I have fallen way way short of returning his graciousness and his time spent on my posts
in any way or form in a like manner.

For that I apologise. I shall be more sensitive going forward.

John, I thank you for bringing this to our notice. A sterner admonishing would be well deserved too!

Regards.

Ok, so now I have your attention…
I’ll say it again…I think we should be ashamed of ourselves.
We have been selfish in our continued acceptance of praise and comment, and stingy with returning it in kind.
I speaking specifically of Asher, and the way we have treated him.
This is a man who endeavors to reply, in great detail, to virtually every thread started on this forum.
And what does he receive in return? Little or no comment when he shares, what we all know to be, a creative effort he loves – the capture of images at the Colburn School.

I believe we (and I include myself) owe something more to Asher.
His purpose here is not to feed our egos, soothe our ruffled feathers or otherwise provide unending praise.
He is also a photographer, and a darn good one at that.
He deserves more than one reply to his recent thread.
So get off your lazy butts, comment on HIS threads, and make him feel like we’re not a bunch of selfish, self-centered children.

Cem_Usakligil

While I agree with the sentiments re. Asher fully, I wish that we'd reply to others' threads more often anyway.

Especially, in line with what Stuart wrote in this thread, I have totally had it with those leechers who show only their own pictures and never react to anybody else's. I just ignore those members' posts and I recommend you do the same. I don't mean to say that they don't post nice pictures, because some of them do. But if I just want to see nice pictures, I can go to a gazillion sites on the Internet. What sets OPF apart is the fact that we discuss about what we see here. Take the discussion element away and no added value is left. That is also the reason I am totally against having all those pesky prefixes, we don't need them at all. If one does not want to have any C&C, then one should not post a picture here, period.

Cheers,

StuartRae

......I am totally against having all those pesky prefixes, we don't need them at all. If one does not want to have any C&C, then one should not post a picture here, period.
Cheers,

Amen to that. I would like to assume that any image I post is open to C&C; my signature says that. If for any reason I don't want criticism I'll specifically say so.

Regards,

Stuart

John Angulat

pro member
Cem, Stuart -
It's not about thread prefixes. It's simply about respecting the individual who devotes so much of his time and effort to this forum.

It's about all of us, from the most senior to the newest, not returning kindness and attention.

StuartRae

Sorry John, we went a bit OT.

Asher's a special guy and a gentleman, and deserves all the support we can give him.

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi John,

Cem, Stuart -
It's not about thread prefixes. It's simply about respecting the individual who devotes so much of his time and effort to this forum.

It's about all of us, from the most senior to the newest, not returning kindness and attention.
Surely you must have read that I wrote the following which is 100% in line with your reaction above.

While I agree with the sentiments re. Asher fully, I wish that we'd reply to others' threads more often anyway.

Too bad we don't have a prefix which reads: "Just ranting, no c&c wanted", it could have saved us the unwanted discussion.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Too bad we don't have a prefix which reads: "Just ranting, no c&c wanted", it could have saved us the unwanted discussion.

Indeed.

Carla and I often say that any statement must fall into one of these semantic categories:

• To state information.
• To request information.
• To give a command (or make a request).
• To bitch.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

comment on HIS threads, and make him feel like we’re not a bunch of selfish, self-centered children

John, I am sure " HIS " threads or tablets were addressed to the children of Israel. And the messenger
was surely not known to us thru the internet or personally!

Peace.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John, Fahim, Rachel, Stuart and Cem,

You guys are the greatest. The core of OPF is discussion of images, our feelings first, impression of the composition, palette, references to any ideas and so forth. This is the meat of the sandwich we want to chew on here.

Unfortunately, as some folk get better, others get intimidated. We must break through that by giving of ourselves to show folk how to respond to new pictures.

Make a lists of those whose work you value and who you'd like to encourage to continue here and look after them. We need each other's support. I look to see how may responses there are to to key pictures and sometimes feel bad that we allow them to go by. Each of us runs this forum. Each of us can bring a tiny bit of light more to our discussions.

Thanks! This effort means a lot to our community!

Asher