• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mirror falls apart in middle of shoot! 24mm TSE survives!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was shooting quartets. Everything was going well with the 24mm TSE as my prime lens and the 5D as my only camera at hand. (My 5DII is down with a stuck gold pin! After about 3-40 shots, the viewfinder went dark. So I though, hmm, the TSE has stopped down. Turning of the camera, removing the battery didn't work to brighten the viewfinder but did allow to to remove the lens and deliver the pieces of the a broken mirror and then a ribber gasket!

I was stunned!

Still, I had to shoot a ballerina and so blew out the remnants, put back the lens and shot the ballerina with new viewfinder, just manual focus and focus confirm with the green light and did the shoot!

Asher

Daisy Rappa

Known issue

Asher there is a know issue of mirror problems with the 5d. Contact Canon. Hope you kept the mirror parts for proof.

Love shooting ballerinas.

fahim mohammed

Asher, sorry to hear of the equipment failure. I think Canon should replace/repair free of charge.
I hope you managed to get some acceptable shots.

Keep us posted.

Still, I had to shoot a ballerina and so blew out the remnants, put back the lens and shot the ballerina with new viewfinder, just manual focus and focus confirm with the green light and did the shoot!

Hi Asher,

Wow, I think your heart must have skipped a beat when you discovered that the mirror was gone. Apparently the rear mirror, the one reflecting down towards the focus confirmation sensor, was still there.

Hope you get things fixed soon!

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Wow, I think your heart must have skipped a beat when you discovered that the mirror was gone. Apparently the rear mirror, the one reflecting down towards the focus confirmation sensor, was still there.

Hope you get things fixed soon!

Cheers,
Bart

What as amazing was that I thought that the diaphragm had shut but since I don't use really tiny apertures, that didn't make sense. I next though of the cloth curtain in my Canon Eos 3 folm camera but realized the DSLR doesn't have one. Having the pieces fall out was a really shocker. I just said, "mechanical things fail eventually" the class had a laugh and I left humbled and in dread. I had the head of dance and a favorite ballerina waiting. They had delivered the costumes earlier and the mother was waiting in the hall. I could have worked with the Richoh GXR, but discovered that it has no port for a synch cord, so I'll get a shoe-mounted connection for the future. In my state of despair, I forgot I also had, in reserve, a 1DII with a Zeiss 28-85mm Varrio-sonnar waiting for my attention. However, under pressure of things, my mind was set to the full frame and did not opon that black bag with the always full charged spare batteries. It's the amazing sight of glass and diaphragm being delivered from the mouth of a camera, that it numbed my brain to even my ownership of the 1DII. That's how things can happen! So I proceeded with the blind 5D! Amaziungly the focus confirmation for MF of the 24MMTSE work fine.

I was shocked to see that the back of the 24mm TSE is an utterly open deep well of electronic boards! It was like a lover falling and getting a minor wound and then one being able to see inside her chest not flesh and blood, but circuit boards and multicolored wires! That's how I felt. Why there's not some rubber diaphragm around the rear optic of the 24 mm TSE, to keep out dust, I cannot fathom!

Bart, is yours open like that at the back of the lens?

I am packing up 2 cameras and two lenses and I'm off to CPS Irvine. I still have a major gala performance shoot on tuesday! Could use the Canon 1DII. That's still pretty nice!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

It's the amazing sight of glass and diaphragm being delivered from the mouth of a camera . . .
What diaphragm was that? I wasn't aware of there being one in this setup except in the lens.

In any case, what a bummer! But it sounds like you dealt with the situation resourcefully.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,
What diaphragm was that? I wasn't aware of there being one in this setup except in the lens.

Asher Kelman said:
Correct! That was my thinking!

My "correct" only referred to your mention of the Lens aperture diaphragm. I thought it might be stuck in a "stopped-down" position due to some electrical fault. So I turned the camera on and off and removed the battery, thinking I'd release the diaphragm. However, that was not the case and I realized the truth of the matter when the opening on the camera no longer has a mirror visible and delivered me the 2 newly made mirror fragments and the soft rubber gasket it sits on.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks charlie,

I'll shoot with my 1DII and the 28-85mm Zeiss Vario Sonnor or the 70-200 2.8L and perhaps film too.

If I'm super-lucky lucky, perhaps CPS Irvine might fix my 5DII in time.... or I could splurge and rent a one!

Asher

Daisy Rappa

Friends

Asher you have enough friends to invite to backup shoot with you if you needed a backup shooter. This would get you a backup camera with batteries and another set of eyes too.

Asher Kelman

Asher you have enough friends to invite to backup shoot with you if you needed a backup shooter. This would get you a backup camera with batteries and another set of eyes too.

I just saw your post! Thanks very much! I'l remember next time. The has a lovely tall lady following me when I used my 1DI and they could hear the shutter! The GXR took all the best pictures! Silently but then the tall lady just kept watch in the b.g. in case the 1DII started clicking again! I must get a blimp!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I just saw your post! Thanks very much! I'l remember next time. The has a lovely tall lady following me when I used my 1DI and they could hear the shutter! The GXR took all the best pictures! Silently but then the tall lady just kept watch in the b.g. in case the 1DII started clicking again! I must get a blimp!
Or a box of chocolates and a bouquet.

Best regards,

Doug