• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The same people are doing all the work

Rachel Foster

I've noticed there are a few overworked members of OPF who are the only ones willing to stick their necks out and really give their opinions, bluntly and without sugar coating. That means those few people do all the work.

Me, I've not been certain enough I know what I'm doing to contribute much. However, the current situation is untenable. I have a proposal: How about the rest of us (me, primarily) pull on our "big girl panties" and take some risks? Will anyone be offended if I give it a real honest shot? I'll be wrong a lot, of course, but maybe pointing out where I (and others) are wrong will be a learning experience in itself.

What's the general feeling on this?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've noticed there are a few overworked members of OPF who are the only ones willing to stick their necks out and really give their opinions, bluntly and without sugar coating. That means those few people do all the work.

Me, I've not been certain enough I know what I'm doing to contribute much. However, the current situation is untenable. I have a proposal: How about the rest of us (me, primarily) pull on our "big girl panties" and take some risks? Will anyone be offended if I give it a real honest shot? I'll be wrong a lot, of course, but maybe pointing out where I (and others) are wrong will be a learning experience in itself.

What's the general feeling on this?

Rachel,

I'm glad that you had the guts to see that you had a strong opinion of the bridge picture. I personally wanted to know why it was posted and thought there's something wrong here, looked at it carefully, examined the colors, composition and subject and found it was, to me at least empty. Now the fact that Maris commented as if it was good made me wonder. Now Maris is an experienced B&W film photographer. He believes in real photography with light actually writing into the paper organically. So when he appeared to find value in the picture, I was puzzled. I thought, O.K., this is a joke, he's teasing. So I just went along with it and asked how he's deal with the over blown yellow streak, which I dislike as much as the entire composition.

So I valued that you were open, direct with your opinion.

Ken too!

Most folk are indeed to scared to give there opinion. Erik has produced other pictures which I found value in. I'm glad that you addressed the picture and are honest.

Asher