• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What to add for a website?

Help Please!!

I'm not new on building a website, I built one for a restoration project awhile back and I thought it turned out good.
The pictures were taken with a Sony Cybershot DSC-P31 P&S.
Here is the link for that website.
http://www.freewebs.com/stray_dog/springfieldlawntractor.htm

Now my problem is I want one to display my work and use it to get work.
I come to a great loss on what to add to it, and how to sell myself.
Any help would be appreciated.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Help Please!!

I'm not new on building a website, I built one for a restoration project awhile back and I thought it turned out good.
The pictures were taken with a Sony Cybershot DSC-P31 P&S.
Here is the link for that website.
http://www.freewebs.com/stray_dog/springfieldlawntractor.htm

Now my problem is I want one to display my work and use it to get work.
I come to a great loss on what to add to it, and how to sell myself.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cody,

What work are you looking to get: Restoration of machines, or just tractors or photography?

Asher

Asher, I would like to build one just for photography. and that is where I become lost.
I did the restoration one just for fun, I want one to show off some of my photo's on.
and maybe get out of the hobbie status.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you are on a Mac, you can use iPhoto and then post your images directly to your iweb website. It's really simple and ideal for photography galleries.

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cody,

The first question that comes to mind is: what is your level of experience in web building and programming? I’m not speaking of “drag and drop” editing found on freebie hosts such as Freewebs.

If you are not comfortable editing HTML and CSS, Java or Flash most over-the counter site templates offered for sale (and there are thousands for photography/galleries alone) would not be suitable for you. They are quite complicated.

However if you are experienced, then many excellent templates are available. On the upside, you end up with a site that is uniquely yours. On the downside you’re working outside of a SCE, you’ll need Dreamweaver or other higher-end software.
Expect to spend a large amount of time editing the files provided with the template package (it may amount to dozens of files) to what you want as a personal statement.

If that’s not the direction you wish to go, then you may want to look at Pbase or Zenfolio.
These offer an ability to create wonderful galleries and are very easy to edit and maintain.

Hope this helps a bit.