• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The "invisible" mode

John Angulat

pro member
Hi all,
I’m somewhat curious as to why some members feel a need to use the “invisible mode”.
After all, we are an “open” forum. We register and participate with our real names.
We chat, comment and freely converse amongst ourselves.
So, why do some feel a need cloak their presence?
Just curious…

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Doug,

In the user control panel / edit options you have the option to select "Use Invisible Mode".
Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.

John Angulat

pro member
When the number of members "on line" and the quantity of names do not match.
You'll see, for instance 8 members on line but only 4 members listed.
Same for "Who's on line" in Quick Links.

It's usually much more obvious (and funnier, I guess) when an "invisible" member immediately replies to a thread or post...sort of defeats the purpose, eh?

Rachel Foster

Because I don't like being monitored.

Controlling parents, etc., turned me into a rebel with and without a cause. You see, it all started when...

Wait! How much are you charging for this? And will my insurance pay?

Charlotte Thompson

John

during the day the sun is too bright muwahaaaa
I Must stay invisible until the night falls-

and
sometimes
I forget to log back in-

dark cloak falls over my eyes
it is day time and I must seek the night*

Charlotte-

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,

In the user control panel / edit options you have the option to select "Use Invisible Mode".
Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.
Thanks so much. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Because I don't like being monitored.

Well Rachel, sorry to let you in on the reality, we know where you are at all times!

The PR companies can overlay on your neighborhood data vacuumed from 1000 sources and compile a profile of your preferences, purchases, travel choices and more.

So get used to it, you are not invisible. However, I can sell you a cloaking cream which makes you invisible even though you can still see your body in the mirror! So on a hot day, you can wander around, in stealth mode!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Yup, I know admins know all and see all.

So, cloaking cream..does that make me a Kling-on? I'm mean enough for that, but the foreheads ... ugh!

Ruben Alfu

Normally I browse the forum "invisible", I have my browser set up to remember my login info when I'm going to post. Is just the way I set my preferences the first time and I don't feel any need to change it. Very often I'm logged in reading a post perhaps, have to leave and when I'm back, I'm disconnected. If I don't have nothing to post I won't log in because I don't even remember my password.

Charlotte Thompson

SOB_6530-4.jpg

Spells
photo-William Blackford​

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bKIC_Kza4Ek&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bKIC_Kza4Ek&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Ruben,
That's not what I was referring to.
You're simply browsing the forum and not logged in.
I was speaking of intentionally choosing the "invisible mode" within your user profile.

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Some of us are

Privledged.

It's just a forum feature of Vbulletin. Allows you to read and lurk with out identity. I can see it could have a use on some forums but really not OPF.