• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony Full Frame For August 2008

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We have the great news that the awaited Sony (not Sinar yet, that's not 'till September, LOL). Full Frame will appear August 2008. The story has been picked up today and has spread fast and wide. What's amazing is that suddenly Canon's 1DsIII will be second place in the marketing department's megapixels race. The issue really is whether either of these deliver better pictures than the Nikon see in the dark D3 wonder.

"A sneak peek at what is believed to be Sony’s top-end digital SLR was offered at Japan’s Photo Imaging Expo on Friday. The camera, dubbed A900 until an official name is released, is likely to use Sony’s first full-size 24.8 megapixel sensor which would also be the biggest in the DSLR game. The new pro camera offers almost twice the image resolution of Sony’s current best-resolution Alpha, the 14.2MP A350, and slightly outperforms Canon’s 21.1MP EOS-1Ds Mark III.
According to a Sony representative at PIE, the new flagship will make its official debut either at the Photokina trade show in September or IFA in August. A prototype version of the A900 was shown at PMA last year, but this version appears to be one step closer to production. What Sony promised back then was a new image sensor, its Bionz image processing chip as well as Super SteadyShot image stabilization. The actual camera will record at a slightly reduced 24.6MP due to its sensors' limits.

From the photos, we can see a mini-HDMI connection is hidden under a flap to the side, which means images can be displayed on today’s HDTVs. This feature is shared with Sony’s lesser Alphas, as well as some of Nikon’s offerings. The A900 also sports two scroll wheels, dedicated ISO and White Balance buttons. A new flash and grip for the high-end SLR were also on display at the show."
Source

sonya900-2.jpg

© master chong source]

© master chong [url=http://masterchong.com/v2/sony-alpha/sony-alpha-dslr-commercial.html]source]

© master chong [url=http://masterchong.com/v2/sony-alpha/sony-alpha-dslr-commercial.html]source]

So is there an Alpha in your life?

Asher

Last edited:

Peter Stacey

A while back when Sony announced that they were going to seriously push to be #2 in the SLR market within a few years, I couldn't believe it.

But they are really adding to their line now and this camera looks like they'll beat Nikon into the next pixel range (though perhaps not by much).

I've been fairly loyal to Nikon, but that's just because I used them at work so use them privately as well. I'm not against changing brands and I'll be looking at Sony closer during future purchases.

I won't say and alpha is in my future, but I won't discount the possibility either.

Regards,

Peter

Ivan Garcia

Wild, Wild, West

I am fully committed to seriously expensive white glass, so I can´t foresee a change in brand. I am sure Canon will fight back all guns blazing, they need to bring law and order back to what is fast becoming a DSLR wild west :). Unless of course they don´t want to be the DSLR Marshall anymore. In which case, those unruly Nikons and Sonys will be free to rampage our peaceful little Canon village, invading all corners with high ISO noiseless images, and Large pixel count cameras.
:D