• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bart, Cem or anyone who knows

Ron Morse

I could not figure out where to put this. This is my best guess.

In vuescan I can't seem to get infrared cleaning to work with the FS4000US Canon scanner. I have run into quite a few negatives with scratches and bunch's of white dots from processing. The scanner supports it, to the best of my knowledge, but when the picture opens in CS5 all I have is a gray/tan image with a lot of vertical multi- colored lines. I click back to vuescan and the picture looks great with all lines and dots removed. Somehow it doesn't get the picture to CS5. I am using medium cleaning. I scan as a tiff. I tried every combination I could think of, jpeg, multi-scan. After hours, on different days, I'm frustrated.

Cem_Usakligil

I could not figure out where to put this. This is my best guess.

In vuescan I can't seem to get infrared cleaning to work with the FS4000US Canon scanner. I have run into quite a few negatives with scratches and bunch's of white dots from processing. The scanner supports it, to the best of my knowledge, but when the picture opens in CS5 all I have is a gray/tan image with a lot of vertical multi- colored lines. I click back to vuescan and the picture looks great with all lines and dots removed. Somehow it doesn't get the picture to CS5. I am using medium cleaning. I scan as a tiff. I tried every combination I could think of, jpeg, multi-scan. After hours, on different days, I'm frustrated.

Just a quick answer from memory, since I am not at my workstation. Vuescan scans the IR layer and applies a correction to the final image if you chose to save it as a 24-bit or 48-bit RGB file. But if you use the 64-bit RGBI version, then the IR layer is added to the tif file. The handling of that layer should be possible in CS (it is an alpha layer IIRC), you can switch it on or off, etc. If you save to a raw file, I don' t think the IR corrections are applied but I must check to verify if that that is the case. Are you saving to raw? If so, check also the tif output option which should output a corrected version.

PS: Vuescan can also accept the raw files it has generated as input and output corrected tif files from them.

PS2: are you scanning color negatives or B&W negatives by the way?

Ron Morse

Just a quick answer from memory, since I am not at my workstation. Vuescan scans the IR layer and applies a correction to the final image if you chose to save it as a 24-bit or 48-bit RGB file. But if you use the 64-bit RGBI version, then the IR layer is added to the tif file. The handling of that layer should be possible in CS (it is an alpha layer IIRC), you can switch it on or off, etc. If you save to a raw file, I don' t think the IR corrections are applied but I must check to verify if that that is the case. Are you saving to raw? If so, check also the tif output option which should output a corrected version.

PS: Vuescan can also accept the raw files it has generated as input and output corrected tif files from them.

PS2: are you scanning color negatives or B&W negatives by the way?

Thanks Cem. I am using the reg edition not PRO so I don't have raw. I will change to pro right now if necessary. Its certainly cheap enough. I am doing 48-bit RGB saved as a tiff. They are color negatives scanned as negatives. Vuescan does everything it should in vuescan but it doesn't show up in CS5. I watch it do a scan for shadows, then highlights and then the IR scan, but I only end up with the IR pass in CS5. Maybe because I don't have the pro version. However it doesn't mention that the IR corrections are disabled in the standard version. I know raw is. Looking back at vuesan afterwards it appears that the IR correction did a magnificent job.

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Cem. I am using the reg edition not PRO so I don't have raw. I will change to pro right now if necessary. Its certainly cheap enough. I am doing 48-bit RGB saved as a tiff. They are color negatives scanned as negatives. Vuescan does everything it should in vuescan but it doesn't show up in CS5. I watch it do a scan for shadows, then highlights and then the IR scan, but I only end up with the IR pass in CS5. Maybe because I don't have the pro version. However it doesn't mention that the IR corrections are disabled in the standard version. I know raw is. Looking back at vuesan afterwards it appears that the IR correction did a magnificent job.

Can you do screen captures of all your settings in VueScan and email them to me? I will PM you my email address if you want to do this. Hopefully, looking at your actual settings we may discover the problem. One step at a time. :)

Ron Morse

I would love to Cem. However I have no Idea how to do a screen capture. My son in law, a computer wiz, showed me how to do it about 5 years ago and I haven't done it since. My almost 69 year old memory must be slowing down.

Cem_Usakligil

I would love to Cem. However I have no Idea how to do a screen capture. My son in law, a computer wiz, showed me how to do it about 5 years ago and I haven't done it since. My almost 69 year old memory must be slowing down.

Very easy: you just press the Print key on your keyboard. What is on your screen gets then copied to the so-called clipboard. Next, you create an email and paste the copied image to the email by using Ctrl-V. You then go to the next settings tab of Vuescan and repeat the Print key process followed by Ctrl-V in the email. Once all screens are captured, just send the email. :)

PS: my email is in the PM...

Ron Morse

WOW!!! I didn't think it would be that easy. Thanks.

I was just getting ready to post something. As soon as I get that done I will dig out a neg and get the scanner going. Then I will see if I can still follow directions.

Thanks again.

Jerome Marot

I would suggest to try to save to something other than tiff. Tiff is a great format, but with lots of compatibility problems. If another format works, you'll know that tiff is the culprit.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ron,

I have received your email in good order. Upon looking at your vuescan settings, all settings seem to be good. So I may have an hunch of what may be going wrong. I think that the culprit is CS5, which does not recognize the tiff format written by vuescan. This happened to me also with some other applications such as imagemagick, ie I saw noise when I opened a tiff in CS5. Do you have any other image viewing programs on your PC, such as irfanview? If so, is the image shown in good order with those apps? If so, then the CS5 is the problem. Can you try opening the image in CS5 even if it looks wrong and then assign a colour profile (edit menu > assign colour profile) such as sRGB? Just to check whether that will solve the problem?

Cheets,

Cem_Usakligil

I would suggest to try to save to something other than tiff. Tiff is a great format, but with lots of compatibility problems. If another format works, you'll know that tiff is the culprit.
We were posting at the same time. My own conclusion is the same indeed.

Ron Morse

I have tried RGB as well as JPEG. Neither will open when I use the IR correction. I have been using tiff right along with no problems whats so ever. Its only when I use the IR correction. I would like to use the IR since it seem to do such a nice job and would save a lot of time later.

Alas, I only have CS5 and lightroom.

I hate to give up on it, but don't see much choice.

Cem_Usakligil

I have tried RGB as well as JPEG. Neither will open when I use the IR correction. I have been using tiff right along with no problems whats so ever. Its only when I use the IR correction. I would like to use the IR since it seem to do such a nice job and would save a lot of time later.

Alas, I only have CS5 and lightroom.

I hate to give up on it, but don't see much choice.
Don't give up just yet. Did you try assigning the profile in CS5? Also, can you please scan a crop area from the negative (500x500 pixels would do) and save it as tif as usual and email it to me? It should be small enough to mail. I will then try to find out what is wrong with it.

Ron Morse

Yes, I did try assign profile with no change Cem. I tried different profiles again with no results. I cropped a 500 x 500 or so area in tiff after resetting everything as it was, to send to you and it opened right up in CS5. I'll try again and see if it opens in a full size scan. I'll also double check my settings.

Nope Back to the same thing. Their wouldn't be any sense in sending you the little crop that opened would their??? I will of course if you want.

I think I'll have a glass of wine. That will help.

Edit
I just happened to think. Their is a little circle that blinks, big then small repeatedly with a f in the middle in noisy areas. It is their regardless if I use the IR correction or not. I figured it was from the scanner or software to tell me to use noise reduction.

Cem_Usakligil

Yes, I did try assign profile with no change Cem. I tried different profiles again with no results. I cropped a 500 x 500 or so area in tiff after resetting everything as it was, to send to you and it opened right up in CS5. I'll try again and see if it opens in a full size scan. I'll also double check my settings.

Nope Back to the same thing. Their wouldn't be any sense in sending you the little crop that opened would their??? I will of course if you want.

I think I'll have a glass of wine. That will help.

No, you should crop in vuescan prior to scanning. Cropping the scanned tif won't help. Although the fact that the crop has opened correctly in CS5 indicates that this indeed is a compatibility issue. Did you try opening the "damaged" file in CS5 and save it to another tif file right after that? And then reopen it in CS5 to see if it is corrected? If not, can you do so pls?

Ron Morse

No, you should crop in vuescan prior to scanning. Cropping the scanned tif won't help. Although the fact that the crop has opened correctly in CS5 indicates that this indeed is a compatibility issue. Did you try opening the "damaged" file in CS5 and save it to another tif file right after that? And then reopen it in CS5 to see if it is corrected? If not, can you do so pls?

Cem, The crop that opened, was a 500 x 500 crop in vuescan. But the full size scan wont open.

Cem, I so VERY much appreciate your help. I am getting in over my head. Before long you are going to get frustrated with me if you already aren't and I'm starting to pull my hair out. So before you get upset with me we should quit.

I just don't understand this.
Did you try opening the "damaged" file in CS5 and save it to another tif file right after that? And then reopen it in CS5 to see if it is corrected? If not, can you do so

Cem_Usakligil

...Their is a little circle that blinks, big then small repeatedly with a f in the middle in noisy areas. It is their regardless if I use the IR correction or not. I figured it was from the scanner or software to tell me to use noise reduction.
Is this blinking circle in the preview of VueScan? Does it look like this?

blink.png
blink2.png

If so, it is the indication of the focus point, where VueScan will let the scanner focus on prior to scanning. You can click on it and drag to another location. It remembers the last position.

Cem_Usakligil

I think I may have found a solution. However, I need to make sure that your problem is indeed what I think it is. Can you please make a screen capture of CS5 showing the damaged file on your screen? I want to see how it looks like. Can you email me the screen capture please?

Cem_Usakligil

Update for those who were following this. The problem has been solved by the simple act of installing the most recent version of VueScan. The full credit goes to Ron for thinking of that. I on the other hand, as being an experienced IT professional, have failed miserably since I have neglected to ask the most basic helpline question, lol!

Ron Morse

I really appreciate your help Cem. I would have given up on it otherwise. It does make me feel better that I wasn't making some mistakes with my application of the program after all.