• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Three Windows and a Door

Chris Calohan

8901457545_2cf928536a_c.jpg

Three Windows and a Door: Chris Calohan​

Michael Nagel

Chris,

Interesting perspective and the texture (well done in b/w) is adding to it, but:

Personally I would have tried to maintain the symmetry also for the two windows above. This would be a different picture, so this is just for your consideration.

This may sound pedantic, but your title is a little misleading. I see two windows and a door with a transom.

Best regards,
Michael

Chris Calohan

Clarification but the transom is also a window. As to the other window, it is not directly in line with the front window and in reality is two windows side by side...I even climbed a tree to try to match the perspective correctly, but nay-nay.

This was a tough PP job in every way possible. I like it and when they are finished with all the patchwork, I will go back and reshoot. This structure is an old water cooling tower and is over 125 years old.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Chris,

Great find! I suffer from having a trained scientific eye and, unless you need it thus, "as is", the rotation of the door frame to the right, (by a degree or so), is a distraction to my over sensitive eyes. Can you correct that very minimal oddness or is it part of what the picture needs to have it work for you.

Could be it's just my own quirky brain and nothing more.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Chris,

curious how language use can be different - I was literally searching the third window, but well...

On the alignment:
From my point of view it could be thinkable to shoot the door from an angle that has both windows aligned and apply horizontal trapezoidal correction on the result to obtain a front view perspective. From what I can see the result could work as long you are dealing with light like you had in this shoot.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Chris,

It seems that you are facing a tough crowd here re. your recent pictures. Luckily, it is all honest critique from well meaning members so do not despair yet. :)

For now, I am going to just say that I like your picture. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Calohan

Chris,

Great find! I suffer from having a trained scientific eye and, unless you need it thus, "as is", the rotation of the door frame to the right, (by a degree or so), is a distraction to my over sensitive eyes. Can you correct that very minimal oddness or is it part of what the picture needs to have it work for you.

Could be it's just my own quirky brain and nothing more.

Asher

It's the lintel that is out of sorts (physically - I suspect age sag) not the rest of the doorway or windows. If you put a "line" on the rest of the frame, everything is square except the top, or as I think it is called, the lintel. Using the perspective, skew or distort tools in CS6 just causes everything else to go wacky.

Chris Calohan

Hi Chris,

It seems that you are facing a tough crowd here re. your recent pictures. Luckily, it is all honest critique from well meaning members so do not despair yet. :)

For now, I am going to just say that I like your picture. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Cem!

Chris Calohan

Chris,

curious how language use can be different - I was literally searching the third window, but well...

On the alignment:
From my point of view it could be thinkable to shoot the door from an angle that has both windows aligned and apply horizontal trapezoidal correction on the result to obtain a front view perspective. From what I can see the result could work as long you are dealing with light like you had in this shoot.

Best regards,
Michael

I so wanted to shoot it from that angle but there was a lot of construction debris, cranes, etc which prevented any angle but the one I shot...and it is two windows at the rear centered to the front window which would be a huge stretch trapazoidally or otherwise.

Martin Stephens

This features an odd aspect ratio that is not a pleasing one. And the cropping is too close at the bottom and top. Too crowded feeling. I think there was an interesting subject there, and maybe it was not possible to shoot in a more favorable way.

Chris Calohan

It is perhaps not pleasing to you, but I found it quite relaxing. I also did not lile the bottom crop but it could not be helped. I cut the top to offset the lack of bottom...better symmetry in my mind.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
what';s important is how the artist feeks about the work. the ratios and composition may very well go against the esthetic grain of some of us, but it's the job of the photographer to be undaunted. Somehow we as artists have to weather criticism and allow others to catch up with our take on things or else we can modify our expression of the same idea, but not compromise our feelings and intent, just use a language others understand.

What shouldn't happen is that we accept strong criticism and capitulate. That is not acceptable.

Now if there were siblings to this picture with similar structure or motif then the works would become internally consistant and the ratios of the form will no longer matter! So the solution to criticism is simply to make more and so educate the observers senses! That's to me the right approach here!

Asher