• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

2007 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography

KrisCarnmarker

A very powerful series indeed! Such a tragic story.

However, I think the images themselves are quite bland. And once again I see no point in making them in B&W, but that's just me.

Now the other winner, Oded Balilty, and his image of the lone Jewish woman, is both visually powerful as well as emotionally so (and not in B&W :) ).

Well deserved honors for both.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have mixed feelings with the images of a terminal cancer patient by Renée Byer. Yes it is intimate but it is staged. I feel that it is somehow exploitative but that's what photographers often are.

It doesn't really serve any purpose. It is beautiful horror.

I see little to celebrate.

It is not even real.

It is pain with a ribbon.

It is sad and ugly beauty.

I can't imagine that there was nothing more deserving!

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Kris' remarks also reflect my general feelings. The emotional depth and sentimental nature of the photos' accompanying story are powerful persuaders. I would like to see the images that were in the final consideration.

Oded Balilty's image is really very powerful and it's certainly imaginable that it's the best of its "breaking news" genre's submissions.

Now this:
A posthumous special citation to composer John Coltrane for his masterful improvisation, supreme musicianship and iconic centrality to the history of jazz.
I would sign any day....

As for Renee's work, I have also very mixed feelings about this contribution, mainly because of it's obviously stagemanaged character. Then again, hey, I know nothing about the paramters relevant for todays photojournalism, but I would have thought authenticity to be of importance in that context.

Doesn't work for me, not a sausage.

I'm not sure I understand - yes, some of the images look more staged than others, but this boy died, and this family buried him, correct?

I find most of the images unnecessary, but for me, a few of them hung together to tell the story of a family in this blessed/cursed circumstance. The stuff of life.

It does make me curious about the other entries, and I'm tempted to say "but such are photo contests". But then again, this is the "Pulitzer", right?