• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LR 4 file size limitations...

Michael Seltzer

Hello,

Lately I've gotten an error when trying to import into LR that the file is too big. I'm not sure what the problem is, and was wondering if anyone had information.

Doesn't seem like it is the physical file on disk, as I have other files that imported into LR that are bigger (I have some files that are 3.43 GB). These files are smaller than that (a couple at 3.2GB, some under 2GB, some under a gig). So is it the image size? These last are about 20k pixels by 28K. I read somewhere that LR can handle up 64k x 64k.

Anyway, can't seem to figure it out. Btw, these last files are all tiffs.

Thanks

Michael Seltzer

Found the problem in the LR forum. Apparently LR can accept files the are no bigger than 65k on any side, and no bigger than 512 megapixels total. My files are well under the 65k limit, but over the 512 MP limit (20k x 28k = 560 MP).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Found the problem in the LR forum. Apparently LR can accept files the are no bigger than 65k on any side, and no bigger than 512 megapixels total. My files are well under the 65k limit, but over the 512 MP limit (20k x 28k = 560 MP).

Michael,

There's a workaround I used to use for photoshop before they increased their file sizes. If file sizes never increase in editing you could choose to work with two overlapping copies of the file, each 512/560 of the needed size. Then when you have finished, stitch them in Photoshop, Autopano Giga or other stitching program. Just work in parallel, with both files open at the same time. most of the picture will be the same, so you should have no difficulties.

Now for the real world, file sizes can change with certain edits. Just to be safe, use an upper limit of 3/4 of your full size picture. Don't resize your picture! Use it full size but with two opposite crops. So one copy will be the top 3/4 and the other will be The lower 3/4. That way you can ignore the file size limit.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Asher