• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fair Use, and Copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Wareham

You know full well that this forum is NOT the place to attack other members for their opinions. If you think I'm lying, that's your prerogative, but that is not the topic. If you wish to chew me out somewhere more appropriate, have at it. PM? Knock yourself out.

However, while you're out here, you should probably stay civil. From what I've seen, the other people on the forum value that greatly.

-Adrian

fahim mohammed

' Lying '. Point out where that word has been used by me in this thread.

I know what is expected of people in this forum. As a newcomer, you might not. Nothing to

worry about. We, specially me, are here to help. Specially when it relates to civility, usage of

words and sentences that might appear inappropriate to an international audience. International,

extends beyond one's seashore..another jurisdiction; That in and of itself warrants another

thread.

Property rights!!

Tolerance. I have lots of it. If I can tolerate Asher ( not as an ' owner/editor ' ), I can tolerate

any opinion and respect others holding differing views. As can Asher. I know, because he can

tolerate my views.But express it with respect. And I shall conduct myself with even greater

respect. Bark, and I will bite. I do not suffer lightly those that profer their myopic and restrictive

views on issues that must encompass other, wider but related considerations.

But, and this is important, a discussion needs answers. Not skirting of issues. Or ignoring them

to push forth one's own agenda or one that suits one party. Then it is just a point of view.

The point of view needs to be tolerated and, at times, respected. But not necessarily agreed with.

But it cannot be called a discussion. It is a point of view. Could even be a set of laws proposed

by one or a certain number of countries. They might even be laws in their jurisdictions, but

to others..just a point of view. Maybe agreeable, maybe not.

Back to ' lying '. Show me where I have used that word in my posts in this thread. I maintain

copies of all my posts. I have had unfortunate experiences with ' admins ' on some other forums.

Let's discuss. I have put forward some issues raising my concerns about ' artistic works from

other nations in certain famous museums around the world. I believe they are an infringment

of a nation's ' copyrights '. I have repeated this concern in multiple posts in this thread.

I have yet to hear ' copyrights' being discussed or addressed in this regard.

Let's discuss SOPA referencing my concerns. Or any copyright laws addressing my concerns.

p.s. PM. No. I have neither the time nor the inclination to engage in a PM discussion with you.
But thank you for the offer. Keep our discussions public. Let all see what you have to offer and what I have to say.

Adrian Wareham

You said it was a hypocritical discussion, which does not state, but does imply, either minor deceit, or some outright bald-faced-lying. So it seemed you thought I was a liar, but I did not quote you as having said the word "liar".

International "thieving" of artwork during conflict? Well, NOW we are getting somewhere! What constitutes infringement upon the artistic cultural history of a nation, sounds very interesting. It's not quite the topic, but this isn't my thread, remember? So let's do it.

Despite the compendium of knowledge already here in the forums, it's clear from your own posts that you still have strong, unresolved, thoughts on exactly this area. My only offense was when someone implied that we should not have this discussion because all the answers were found in the links. If that were true, neither of us would still be talking.

As for the Louvre and the like (yes, I've been there, among other places), countries have pillaged and plundered eachother for over a millennium, and societies before that. Museums are often more like trophy cases than exhibits of art for its own sake. It IS a travesty, but INTERPOL is not like NATO for art, and they generally cannot force a country to relinquish it without starting a war, which would likely only destroy it, and countless other artifacts.

Sometimes nations do exchange valuable items stolen during war, or by other means, as a gesture of goodwill, but not often enough. The trouble is that I also wanted to find out about copyright law for practical reasons, which is what I was seeking earlier. I guess this works too though.

Have at it ...

fahim mohammed

Show me where I have used the word ' Lying " in my posts in this thread.

Point out where I have used the word ' Lying ' with reference to you or anyone else in my posts

in this thread.

Either I used the word ' Lying' as you have publicly claimed. Or I have not.

Which is it going to be?

Adrian Wareham

Point out where I have used the word ' Lying ' with reference to you or anyone else in my posts

in this thread.

Which is it going to be?

There's just one problem with that, I did not claim you used the word 'liar', or 'lying'.

I said, "If you think I am a liar, that is your prerogative," and that is all.

Can we get back to copyrights, fair use, nations, museums, and the morality of it all?

-Adrian

fahim mohammed

Show me then where I used the word ' liar '.

Point to the word ' liar ' in any of my posts in this thread.

Either I did or I did not. ' The word ' lier '.

Which is it going to be?

Adrian Wareham

I've already stated more than once that I did NOT accuse you of using the words "liar" or "lying". Trying to trap me with a false dichotomy? Yes. You just did that now. But using the words "liar" or "lying"? No.

I DID feel like you implied it with words like "hypocritical", and possibly in subtext elsewhere, but I don't care. I just didn't think it belonged in the discussion ... which you've successfully derailed for a bit. Now, do you mind if we get back on topic?

fahim mohammed

in this thread.

Which is it going to be?

Adrian Wareham

You know well that 'someone' was me so why don't you just say that 'Cem has implied...'? Especially considering the fact that I have specifically written that I had no objections to your new thread. To which you have replied with 'no worries!' Now all of a sudden, you write that you are offended after all. To my mind, this is dishonesty and I don't like dishonest people.

But it wasn't you. Check post thirteen, where it IS suggested we not discuss this because it's been "beaten to death". Then calling the discussion "hogwash", which it appears to be at this point anyway.

So, no, that was not directed at you. =)

-Adrian

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

Adrian would not support any colonial or neocolonial behavior or purloining of rights. He's a good person and courteous. You, I respect dearly.

Somehow trigger points were touched and there are misconceptions. I need to go over the thread, find what's really unique and maybe add that to a previous thread without the diversions.

So right now, the thread is closed as it's not functioning any more. Rare, but it happens!

Forgive me!

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.