• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Landscape, birds, monkeys, sloths and crocs: Choice of lenses for Costa Rica

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm leaning towards renting a 1Dx and the 200-400 f4.0 L IS with the built in x1.4 extender and with an added optional x1.4 or x2 I have a good reach.

I'll also carry a 70-200 2.8L on the Canon 6D.

What really is tempting though, for landscapes, especially the rain forest and river scenes, is that the fine Zeiss Contax lenses I already own, at 18mm 4.0, 28mm f2.0, 50mm. 1.4 and the 28-85mm, f3.3-4.0 would all be thrilled to be mounted on a Sony A7r. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have finally decided on a combination that I can carry and have mobility. An excellent Really Right Stuff tripod with a leveling head and the RRS Gimbal to hold a 300 2.8L IS with the choices of x1.4 and/x2X converters to give 300, 420, 600 as well as 840 mm reach. Plus a 70-200 handheld.

For close work I'll have the Sony A7r with the Zeiss 55 1.8 and the Zeiss 35mm 2.8, without a lot of extra weight.

I am looking forward to testing by collection of manual focus Zeiss Contax lenses, especially the 18mm f4.0 with a Metabones™ Contax to Sony E adapter.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

I'd be fascinated to know what that means?

Doug,

Zeiss Contax and Yasjica shared a bayonet mount for their DSLR's. The Zeiss lenses, the Distagons, 18 4.0 and 28 f2.0, 21mm especially and the 85 1.2 are all highly regarded.

Although they are only manual focus, they are considered to be excellent lenses for landscape, architecture and street photography.

The Yashica lenses are also stellar but considered to be on a somewhat lower level of optical refinement. however, I doubt that anyone was hindered artistically by using Yashica glass!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Zeiss Contax and Yasjica shared a bayonet mount for their DSLR's. The Zeiss lenses, the Distagons, 18 4.0 and 28 f2.0, 21mm especially and the 85 1.2 are all highly regarded.

Although they are only manual focus, they are considered to be excellent lenses for landscape, architecture and street photography.

The Yashica lenses are also stellar but considered to be on a somewhat lower level of optical refinement. however, I doubt that anyone was hindered artistically by using Yashica glass!
Ah!

And what is the "FE" they would be adapted to?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

FE is the updated wider version of the the NEX "E mount", used only for Sony APS-C cameras, but with a larger throat to cover the "full" 35mm"-sized sensor. The FE specifications allows lenses with the new mount to be backwards compatible with the original E mount on the smaller frame NEX cameras.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

FE is the updated wider version of the the NEX "E mount", used only for Sony APS-C cameras, but with a larger throat to cover the "full" 35mm"-sized sensor. The FE specifications allows lenses with the new mount to be backwards compatible with the original E mount on the smaller frame NEX cameras.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Unfortunately, FEDEX only rerouted 2 of the packages and my 300 mm 2.8L IS has been imprisoned and won't be available on time. So I will simply do my best with the 70-200 2.8L IS and x1.4 &/ x2 extenders.

However, there will be enough for fascination and also exploring the areas by the bridges, beaches and river banks with what reach I have and the Zeiss primes for my Sony A7r

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Unfortunately, FEDEX only rerouted 2 of the packages and my 300 mm 2.8L IS has been imprisoned and won't be available on time. So I will simply do my best with the 70-200 2.8L IS...
Be glad you are young enough to carry that, much less the errant "gallon of milk".

Bon voyage! Stay safe, and shoot well.

Best regards,

Doug