• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photos and explanations

Tom dinning

Registrant*
"it's frankly a disaster for all of us"

"We desperately need folk here to be adventurous"

Really?
Is it that bad?
Surely you exaggerate, Ash.
I can only speak for myself here but there may be an element of similarity for others.

I'm home all day - alone. I like it that way.
The computer is always on. It plays the music while I wile away my time.
The company I keep on my computer is also open.
Facebook, my blog, OPF, Flickr, email.
I'm not at the desk top all the time. Christine would kill me.
I often browse through the photos and comments in OPF. I'm as interested in what people have to say as much as their photos. I don't always have the urge to say something or post a picture. Some days I get the shits with the rubbish I see here and go slam my fingers in the kitchen drawer. Other times I find the words to say something significant (to me).
I'm a selfish old bastard. I prefer to have my say than listen to others. I can't find it in me to expect a response from anything I post.
I'm aware that talking to the internet is akin to shouting at a crowd at a footy match. Most won't hear, the few around you don't care much because everyone is doing it, and only the close friend sitting next to you will tell you to sit down, shut the **** up and stop making a fool of yourself.
At best, posting is like talking to yourself. Maybe that's the approach we should take. At least you'll get an intelligent answer.

In the current climate and with the current culture of OPF, this may be as good as it gets. Being adventurous might not suit the clientele. Being desperate might only suit you. You can't force people to do your calling.

If you want to know what a 'disaster' looks like, I'll send you the stats on my blog.
Most days I'm the only person who goes there.
I don't care. If I did it for the recognition, rewards and responses, I'd be suicidal.
We are here for our own reasons, none of which might coincide with yours.
Surely, our presence isn't a disaster.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

As to acknowledgement - there will be a few who like posting detailed replies - and there are some

I know --- that goes against the dialogue and debate that some forum members would prefer on this forum. But at least there may be 2 or 3 or 10 likes that make those posters know that people viewed their shots. A like buttom actually goes very good with series of images because individual replies can be liked and posters can easily 'thank' without making another post that often disrupts the flow of the images - especially when everyone seems intent on including the original content with their reply. Now if a poster requires worded feedback and acknowledgement to make posting worthwhile, then even that won't matter much.

✅​

Asher

Asher Kelman

"it's frankly a disaster for all of us"

"We desperately need folk here to be adventurous"

Really?
Is it that bad?
Surely you exaggerate, Ash.
I can only speak for myself here but there may be an element of similarity for others.

I'm home all day - alone. I like it that way.
The computer is always on. It plays the music while I wile away my time.
The company I keep on my computer is also open.
Facebook, my blog, OPF, Flickr, email.
I'm not at the desk top all the time. Christine would kill me.
I often browse through the photos and comments in OPF. I'm as interested in what people have to say as much as their photos. I don't always have the urge to say something or post a picture. Some days I get the shits with the rubbish I see here and go slam my fingers in the kitchen drawer. Other times I find the words to say something significant (to me).
I'm a selfish old bastard. I prefer to have my say than listen to others. I can't find it in me to expect a response from anything I post.
I'm aware that talking to the internet is akin to shouting at a crowd at a footy match. Most won't hear, the few around you don't care much because everyone is doing it, and only the close friend sitting next to you will tell you to sit down, shut the **** up and stop making a fool of yourself.
At best, posting is like talking to yourself. Maybe that's the approach we should take. At least you'll get an intelligent answer.

In the current climate and with the current culture of OPF, this may be as good as it gets. Being adventurous might not suit the clientele. Being desperate might only suit you. You can't force people to do your calling.

If you want to know what a 'disaster' looks like, I'll send you the stats on my blog.
Most days I'm the only person who goes there.
I don't care. If I did it for the recognition, rewards and responses, I'd be suicidal.
We are here for our own reasons, none of which might coincide with yours.
Surely, our presence isn't a disaster.

Aha, the Internet now reaches shanty town at the edges of Darwin, by the swamps and croc' mud pools! So the fellow in the broken shack has just got electricity back and enough water today and done the laundry, at long last, by deftly swirling it in the toilet with that trusty black rubber plunger!

By the light of a vintage 12 kW incandescent bulb, he searches once again the 8" thick Cassels Dictionary of the English Language to ascertain the meaning behind the strange lexicon in an online forum. What does this fellow imply by the word, "disaster"? Is this akin to the galloping sound of horseman of the acpolypse? "What is that mad-f'-up of scientist up to?", as he uses a fly swatter to shoo away the limping fur-matted cat from his left over dinner he put aside for his wife, an aboriginal kindly provided by the park rangers to help indigenous folk get experience from men of European stock!

Then his wife comes home, whacks him on the head, "how many times I've told you, "Don't spit your olive pits into the kangaroo plate!" Am I supposed to eat that, like that?

......and give kitty her own portion on the floor! It's an utter disaster living with you!!!"

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It's true what you say, Ash. Christine is the ruler of the superlative.
Never, always, everywhere, forever, disaster, ... are used like punctuation.
Yes, I d remind her that all isn't that bad at which point she calls me an annoying ****. She doesn't hit me though.
I even sent her a list of synonyms in an email. Not well received. Things like mildly annoying, inconvenient, untidy, uncomfortable, distracting, rash and contentious. Now she tells me I'm ****ing annoying, ****ing untidy, ****ing distraction and married to me is a ****ing disaster.
Such is life with one who is prone to exaggeration.

I don't like olives.

Asher Kelman

It's true what you say, Ash. Christine is the ruler of the superlative.
Never, always, everywhere, forever, disaster, ... are used like punctuation.
Yes, I d remind her that all isn't that bad at which point she calls me an annoying ****. She doesn't hit me though.
I even sent her a list of synonyms in an email. Not well received. Things like mildly annoying, inconvenient, untidy, uncomfortable, distracting, rash and contentious. Now she tells me I'm ****ing annoying, ****ing untidy, ****ing distraction and married to me is a ****ing disaster.
Such is life with one who is prone to exaggeration.

I don't like olives.

A wife's yelling?

Tom,

There are four main remedies: answer back (3% effective), street photography, (75% effective), complain to your mother in law, (0% effective) and sex, (100% effective but don't let your wife find out!)

Asher

Asher Kelman

"Likes": I do like the idea of using "likes" as it will as Robert suggests, allow us to effortlessly acknowledge that we enjoyed the photograph.

Still, we have the capability of writing a full response for those who have time to do so!

"Who's Online": unlike some suggestions, almost none of us are endlessly logged on. Most are online several times during the day for 5 min to 20 minutes at a time.

Especially nowadays when access is often by cell phone, folk don't stay as connected as when sitting by one's computer.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Unfortunately, the discussion has veered towards the good-old "why people don't react to others' posts" discussion. It seems that I have caused this deviation by mentioning my till then unanswered post with 20 pictures. Although in my defence, I have done that only as a reaction because Asher has urged me to provide more feedback to others. Now we are yet again talking about "like" buttons and the statistics and the like. I am not so sure about the virtue of having a like button, it will mostly turn us into another version of Flickr imo. I can already get my regular dose of "recognition" (i.e. likes) from other photographers on Flickr and from regular people on Facebook. :)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Oh Christ!
Pass the popcorn.
Asher, Tom I'm not quite raoflmao, but I am quietly giggling my tits off.

As with the Truman Show, Andy, we are here for your entertainment and nothing more. Seems like as good a reason as any.

Please!
No 'like' button.
Praise without effort is empty.

Jerome Marot

These are great points and if no one responds to a new post with fifteen great pictures it's frankly a disaster for all of us!

It is the opposite, actually. I said that I receive less comments for series of pictures than for individual pictures: series attract less comments that individual pictures. I think that a full series of pictures is overwhelming for the commenters.

Jerome Marot

"Who's Online": unlike some suggestions, almost none of us are endlessly logged on. Most are online several times during the day for 5 min to 20 minutes at a time.

Especially nowadays when access is often by cell phone, folk don't stay as connected as when sitting by one's computer.

I am not entirely comfortable with the forum running statistics on the time when I am online and when I am offline.

Cem_Usakligil

It is the opposite, actually. I said that I receive less comments for series of pictures than for individual pictures: series attract less comments that individual pictures. I think that a full series of pictures is overwhelming for the commenters.
Fully agreed, again.

Cem_Usakligil

I am not entirely comfortable with the forum running statistics on the time when I am online and when I am offline.
You should not worry about the statistics kept by the VBulletin software much. It is mostly limited to things such as when last did you login, how many posts you have made, how many threads you have started, what is your current activity if you are online, etc. This information is visible in your user profile. If you did not block the visibility of it in your control panel, we can see what you've been up to (limited to the extent I have given above). One can block this info by setting profile privacy to "friends only" and then make sure that you have no friends (which is an option mostly unused in OPF).

However, the forums make use of the Google Analytics, which is extremely more worrying as far as your privacy is concerned. The GA collects info about every click you make and everything you post while visiting the forums. They know everything about your IP address and the computer (thanks to the browser headers) and also about you personally (thanks to cross-site cookies which you use to login to Google+, Facebook, Twitter, etc). These clicks are then the basis of their big data and their analytics software can use the data to draw up some scary statistics about your person. This is the real Big Brother Is Watching You.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

You should not worry about the statistics kept by the VBulletin software much. It is mostly limited to things such as when last did you login, how many posts you have made, how many threads you have started, what is your current activity if you are online, etc. This information is visible in your user profile. If you did not block the visibility of it in your control panel, we can see what you've been up to (limited to the extent I have given above). One can block this info by setting profile privacy to "friends only" and then make sure that you have no friends (which is an option mostly unused in OPF).

However, the forums make use of the Google Analytics, which is extremely more worrying as far as your privacy is concerned. The GA collects info about every click you make and everything you post while visiting the forums. They know everything about your IP address and the computer (thanks to the browser headers) and also about you personally (thanks to cross-site cookies which you use to login to Google+, Facebook, Twitter, etc). These clicks are then the basis of their big data and their analytics software can use the data to draw up some scary statistics about your person. This is the real Big Brother Is Watching You.

Thank you for that insight.

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

Exactly right Cem - - - that is why there is no need to be using forum stats to presume when members or visitors are online and what their activity is or make any judgements .

These stats are more useful to allow Forum Members and Visitors to see that there is activity. There are a few forums where the owners block the display of number of members and activities going on - and even when you know the stats don't mean much, you like seeing them there because you presume others are there as well. None of us can follow or have the interest in following all forum posts to see if there is new content or responses.

With no stats, you can't tell and so it is not nearly as interesting visiting. That is why member numbers and all kinds of stats numbers can be manipulated and stacked by forum owners to look more impressive than they really are (I AM NOT AT ALL IMPLYING THAT ASHER DOES THIS AT OPF) - to draw visitors.

BTW - blocking stats from users in settings will really have no effect on managers of the software who can get all of that data regardless - if that is Jerome's concern about having the stats collected. We all hope that Asher and others running forums respect our privacy though don't we.

Asher Kelman

I do not have any more vBulletin skills than just keeping things going and seeing who's online at the moment.

No "Big Brother" here!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Agreed!

I am a little frustrated when there are too many pictures and I would like to respond but have to either cover most of them or pick one to really give my best. It becomes less fun and more like trying to get "homework" done or grading essays for a college class.

At best, a set of pictures should be related and 1-3 gradually added to the thread to give us all a chance to absorb things and not overwhelm us.

Asher

James Lemon

I just like looking at the pictures! The idea of a like and thank you button would be fabulous: I wouldn't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to.

Jerome Marot

You should not worry about the statistics kept by the VBulletin software much.

I don't worry about statistics kept by VBulletin.

However, the forums make use of the Google Analytics

I block google analytics. (As a side note, I don't think that this forum should be using that.)

Let me explain a bit more, even if this is completely off topic. I don't really worry about Dr. Asher Kelman spying on me... even if checking on members activity tiptoes on the untold fine line of what a bona fide forum administrator can do. What I worry about is that the forum will be sold in 10, 20 years and the archives will be dug up. Then some smart ass will link the i.p. you use to connect to the server (it is logged) and find out at which time Bill or John connects from home when he is supposed to be at work and sell that to his employer or in which month Bill or John connects to an i.p. from a different country, so one can burglar his home, etc... Because Bill and John had to register with their real name, so one can link that info to a real person.

You will probably answer that I should worry even more about Facebook and Google. You are right: I do.

Jerome Marot

I just like looking at the pictures! The idea of a like and thank you button would be fabulous: I wouldn't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to.

To replace a "like" button, just type the following words in the "quick reply" field:

Nice picture: I like it.​

(The astute reader may want to type "Thank you for this post" in the same field below.) ;)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
What happened?
I go to bed and wake up to paranoia.
Google is invading us and murdering us in our beds. Asher is a spy for CIA. Jerome and Cem sound like internet lovers. Charlotte is going out on shopping therapy.

What were we talking about?

No matter.

What about a sliding scale indicator from 'like' to 'hate' with a response slider from 'gee, thanks' to '**** off'. Link it to MI5 and ASIO and use the data to ward off Islamic fundamentalists.

Asher Kelman

I prefer folk to take the 5 seconds to type some acknowledgement, especially if you recognize something fabulous in ideas, technique or presentation. If you are moved, say so as that is a special reaction that means something is working on a visceral or cognitive level or both and that's pretty damn good work!

If there is no remark, I get the feeling that folk might think my work is just ordinary and I reevaluate the picture. I might agree or else think, "They just don't get it, or it's outside their range of interest.

When I know I've done good work and it's ignored I just cast my lot with the rest of you who have had the same disappointment. We cannot win interest every time and also must depend on our faith in our own artistic judgement. There's a danger to taking feedback or lack of it too seriously either way. There are perhaps three good tests for art - does the artist like it, does it create infectious interest and does anyone want to save it.

At the very least out work has to pass the first test and if we're lucky the second and that alone is high success. Getting the work to create a buzz is not an easy matter and it does not occur without considerable effort, social contact, kind help and opportunity.

So back to the first test, we have to pass that and then not be swayed too much by negativity yet be open to hearing other voices. If one does enough work, one had enough street cred in a community that some F***ups are just par for the course.

But most of you know this!

Asher