• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Night lights! : Post your best!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Nicolas!

Another excellent image you share with us here.

{lol} you maybe saved me a few thousand dollars if I don't need the MkIII3 DS! (except I do love FULL FRAME) - except that I do love my 5d and I have studio gear to buy for my new studio (I get the keys today!!!)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
{lol}{lol} Twice! but that's only a crop {lol} again!

Of course you need the Ds3! no FF= no wides…

Kudos for the keys, what a nice way to start 2008, you bet!

Barry Johnston

Night Exposures - Melbourne

I took these Night exposures of Melbourne recently using the 1D MkII N.

large.jpg

85-1.2 @ 85mm [10secs @ f/8 ISO 100] (2 images stitched using Panorama Maker 3)

large.jpg

16-35 @ 16mm [20 secs @ f/20 ISO 100]

large.jpg

Flinders Street Station - Melbourne
16-35 @ 20mm [5 secs @ f/7 ISO 100]

No PP other than slight cropping.... Hope you like them !!
I have a few more which I may post later....

Regards,
Barry.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonne année, Nicolas

ahhh, forgotten the infos:

1 Ds-2, yes stitched, off course:
9 shots with the macro 50 mm, and it was done prior my use of Photoacute, but some edits in PS.

Ray West

Hi Michael,

When you get home, having stitched it all together, do you then look at what you have, and then decide to go back and concentrate on a 'more normal' view of just one area? I think this could be interesting, while the scaffolding is up, but I don't know how you would get to the viewpoint I would have in mind (slightly less emphasis on the 'chimney', more prominent church towers.)

mf1.jpg

beautifully interesting.

Best wishes,

Ray

Barry Johnston

Night Panorama...

This another similar exposure to the one I posted above.... it's wider & better !!

Again, stitched 9 images together using Panorama Maker 4.
85mm f/1.2 lens in vertical format. It pays to take your time to set the tripod up properly, ie perfectly level. There is a small level glass built-in to the tripod as well the panoramic head has its own spirit level with fine adjustment'. For greatest accuracy, the camera and lens must be adjusted to find the correct position of the nodal point within the lens.

original.jpg

Exposure 10secs @ f/8 using Manfrotto Tripod with Panoramic head

In case the image is deleted due to its size, it can be viewd here. I printed this out using Epson Panoramic Photo Paper (not available from Canon) (210mm x 594mm). If anyone has any ideas on where to get Canon Panoramic paper, please let me know....

The blue building on the right is the Melbourne Atrs Centre, with the 'Princes Bridge' over the Yarra River, taken around 1am. The blue arc thing you see above the bridge, is actually a ferris wheel as it spins....

I hope you like it.....

Best Regards,
Barry

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Michael,

When you get home, having stitched it all together, do you then look at what you have, and then decide to go back and concentrate on a 'more normal' view of just one area? I think this could be interesting, while the scaffolding is up, but I don't know how you would get to the viewpoint I would have in mind (slightly less emphasis on the 'chimney', more prominent church towers.)
beautifully interesting.

Best wishes, Ray

Hi Ray,

If the goal of these pano's were 'more normal' view-shots, you could use either just a singleshot, or if a bigger size is required, take a more tele-orientated lens, like a 100 or 200 mm on FF. Off course you can crop the pano to any desired size; and it's good fun to look at all these single elements of a picture: the reason for using zoomify is that it looks to me the most appropriate way of showing a bigscale-pano at the web; we spoke about that last year, already.

So that pano will be printed in several copies at about 120x 50 cm, and I'm sure it will look great. The client liked the NewYear's card, which was intended first, very much and wants the posters, now.

Personally, I previsualise the pano in my mind, before shooting and chose the lenses: I can setup 7 different lenses on my panohead, on location, which allows to get every desired image angle - horizontally and vertically - in the pano later.

That's one of the big points of stitching! No boring 2/3-ratio, but the scene, and how you want to relate things to other ones, putting it into perspective. You can't have that with a singleshot, unless you use a ultrawide, with its disadvantages.

Maybe this picture explains better, what I tried to say with that °relating°
It might be boring for some people, but the people from the area like it very much, as it relates big mountans to smaller ones and to houses.
(5 x distagon 28, on FF, giving a HFOV of about 170 degrees) - it will be printed big, too.

haupt_a_lz.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Again, stitched 9 images together using Panorama Maker 4

Hi Barry

Beautiful shot, I think I'm going to have to get Panorama Maker, I've heard you mention it before, this result is certainly very impressive and you've said previously that it's very easy to use. I go to Scotland soon, think I'll be giving this a try when I come back.

Thanks for showing this.

Barry Johnston

Panorama Maker...

Thanks Jan,

Yes, it's a very easy program to use. There are two versions of this. There is the standard and the professional version. The difference between them is the standard version does not allow 'fine tuning', and the pro version does. If for some reason things do not line up properly, you can nominate 3 different points in a photo to line things up to... it is really very easy.

and the results speak for themselves. They allow a maximum if 16 photos to stitch, which is plenty in my opnion...

Thanks for your comment.

Best Regards,
Barry.

Stormy Paris

Last januari 2007 shooting a roll of film around Paris the city welcomed us with some rain and high winds. My lens was (still) clean but not for long with all of the debris flying through the air. Makes it a special shot for me ..

Hope you like it.

f1020004bpg8.jpg

Barry Johnston

A few late nights...

Thanks for your comment Janet. I'm glad you liked it. Yes, I had a few late nights recently when I took these... Interestingly, at the same time I met three young lads all on their BMX bikes....all had back packs loaded with Canon 5D's, lenses and tripods, cruising around Melbourne in the middle of the night... We now keep in touch...

The 16-35mm is an outstanding lense...

Best Regards,
Barry.

janet Smith

pro member
The 16-35mm is an outstanding lense...

Hi Barry

I'm buying a new lens in the next few weeks, I'm having a big debate between the 16-35 and the 24-70, ideally I'd like both! I already have the 24mm, but I find it's use limited though, as you know I spend a lot of time in Scotland, and the problem is that the 24mm makes mountains look like mole hills, so I end up using the 50mm and stitching....

I don't think there is an easy answer, I'll probably end up going for the 24-70, I think it would be more useful to me, I already have 24mm, 50mm and 100mm, just to mention a few.... I think buying lenses could easily become a bit of an addiction, rather like buying too many shoes!!!

Brandon Jones

Night Foggy!

here are 4 images from my night imaging... i think they are pretty good, not really in focus, but its hard to focus when its foggy. pretty cool effect though when shooting with fog present

Foggy Tree
DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

As always CC always Appreciated

BJ