• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Buying a film scanner...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
While we are at this subject, what's available, with ice possibly, that will cover 8x10.

I'm thinking using an 8x10 or larger film camera.

asher

While we are at this subject, what's available, with ice possibly, that will cover 8x10.

I'm thinking using an 8x10 or larger film camera.

asher

My choice is Definetley ICG 380 Drum Scanner » http://www.icg.ltd.uk/products/drum-scanners-c-30.htm

One of the their customers I now is happy is Jill Greenberg with the ICG 380
and she uses Mamiya RZ67 98% out of 100%. Her work is Nº1 and there is no Digital back involved. On the 8x10 transparencies, you can only imagine the detail.

However, the scanner is expensive but as I said before if I had a number of partners,
I am ready to go for the best.

http://www.manipulator.com/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That is a lot of mulah! Especially when you double it for the exchange rate to US $!

Wish I had the clients to support that!

What about in the $1000-$6000 range?

Asher

That is a lot of mulah! Especially when you double it for the exchange rate to US $!

Asher

Well, I am ready to put US$ 6000.00 or more if others would like to participate. Of course
not all of us have to put the same amount but it would definitely not hurt.

It is rather special piece of equipment and the best. Therefore, I would rather
share my investment and use the big boat across the ocean then going
across the ocean with the small one that in truth does the same thing
as the big one only there is substantial difference in every respect.

So to answer your question on What about in the $1000-$6000 range?
my answer is I would not pay US$600 much less US 6000.00 if I know I am
travelling backwards unwillingly.

REGARDS

Klaus Esser

pro member

Asher

Hi Asher!

The scanner i use is a Howtek D4000 Drumscanner. It scans up to 4000dpi. You saw my 8x10" in the other thread.
On ebay this scanner sometimes comes at about 3000-4000$ with Aurora- or Polaris-software (software allone is about 1000$). This is a good and acceptable price for the quality. I had an Imacon before and sold it shortly after getting the Howtek.

Newer machines are faster - not neccessarily better. But scanning with a drumscanner is real labour . . ;-) - using gel, cleaning drum and films after each use, need of a monting-station a. s. o.

But the results are obvious :)

best, Klaus

kombizz kashani

I would recommend the new Epson Expression 10000XL.
With a resolution of 2400dpi and high optical density of 3.8 DMax, the Epson Expression 10000XL boasts excellent quality up to a full A3. Easy to use, the Epson Scan driver has both automatic and professional modes, the optional A3 transparency unit enables easy film batch scanning and advanced connectivity is built-in with USB 2.0 Hi Speed and IEEE1394 (FireWire) together with optional networking.

Michel BRAUD

A very interesting link where you can see direct comparison of many scanners :

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

Then my small amateur experience :
For my 6x6 neg/slides I have an Epson 4870, frankly it was worth every penny. I always used the Epson software, while the scanner was delivered with Silverfast SE, I had never used it until very recently I tried it.
I definetly need to practice more with Silverfast but from what I saw, it is very useful for colour negs and useless for B&W with a bit of a clumsy interface. Note it is the SE version only, the full version might be very different.

Michel

I'm using the V700 (Epson) for my MF scans and I think for the price it's one of the best on the market, for MF I would however advise to get the betterscanning tranny.