• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What happens when you drop your camera from a tripod?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Cem Cem Cem!!!

Read your email or read below: Sorry for shouting but....

I was at a clients office today and was doing something online at American Express..com. All purchases made with the card have a theft and damages guarantee within the 90 days of purchase. They will replace any thing you buy with American Express if it's damaged or they will repair it within 90 days of you buying it. You bought the camera and lens in that time frame. Hurry and call American Express. And then let me know what happens!

Last edited by a moderator:

fahim mohammed

Cem,

The tripod becomes easier to lift!!

However, the camera owner might not find this amusing as when my 70-200/2.8
fell off from my D200.

Best of luck.

Cem_Usakligil

Snappy answers to stupid questions ....

...The tripod becomes easier to lift!!

However, the camera owner might not find this amusing as when my 70-200/2.8
fell off from my D200....

Hi Fahim,

This is way too amusing, LOL!

How in the world did your lens fall off the D200?

Cheers,

fahim mohammed

Cem, we are still arguing about this. what i had was the lens and parts of the mount on the ground.

of course it was my fault! ( such a heavy lens !)

The G9 pics taken by your daughter illustrate the father's gift.

Take care.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, we are still arguing about this. what i had was the lens and parts of the mount on the ground.

of course it was my fault! ( such a heavy lens !)

The G9 pics taken by your daughter illustrate the father's gift.

Take care.
Thanks for the compliments Fahim, I'll pas them on to her :).

Coming back to the D200, wasn't there a factory set limit that you shouldn't have mounted anything heavier than 200 g on it? So it's all your own risk! LOL

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Finally: camera is back from repairs!

Hi folks,

It's been almost 10 weeks since I dropped my camera in Paris. The camera has been away for repairs to Canon's Benelux service center for some 8 weeks. Finally, I have received it back last weekend. It has been repaired and I hope that it will be as good as new. They did not repair the battery grip since the cost of repairs was almost equal to the new price. The insurance has paid for almost everything (minus the self risk of Euro 50). Of course there are no compensations for the fact that I had no camera for nine weeks and that I had to cut my visit to Paris short and return by fast train back to home (i.e. extra ticket costs).

Nevertheless, I have the camera now and I can't wait till I can go out to shoot again. But I am kind of hesitant for some reason I can't fathom. I have to get back into the mind set of taking pictures like before, a break of 10 weeks from photography is way too long it appears.

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
But I am kind of hesitant for some reason I can't fathom. I have to get back into the mind set of taking pictures like before, a break of 10 weeks from photography is way too long it appears

Glad to hear all worked out OK, definitely is way too long Cem, get out there and just do it..... enjoy!!!!!

Daniel Buck

I don't particularly like tripod heads that have a 'pop out' release mechanism, even if they have a safety switch. They can instantly render the camera detached. I prefer the screwing clamp design (arca-swiss?), it takes a conscious effort to unscrew the clamp a few turns before the camera is free of the tripod head.

Alain Briot

pro member
I just found this thread and I sympathize with the drama Cem went through. Sorry to hear about the problem.

I do want to point out that having 2 camera bodies is really a must if you are serious about photography (read: if you need to take photos and not just want to bring back some snapshots). What happened to Cem may be particularly dramatic (the fall, the pieces spreading in every direction, the noise -- it's all very cinamatographic) but the fact is that most of us do experience some level of malfunction, damage, theft or breakdown in our equipment on a regular basis. Since repairs or replacements and not very practical in the field or abroad (if they are possible at all), having a second body at hand is the simplest and fastest solution to what has to be expected to happen.

Having several bodies also allows one to photograph while the repairs are being done. Some repairs are lengthy. On my P45 they have to be done in Denmark which means 2 weeks at the fastest.

I point that regularly to my students and yet many come to the workshop with only 1 body. Fortunately, there is usually someone who has another compatible camera :) When one travels alone this is unfortunately not an option.

adrian rathbone

simillar

i had a simmilar experience with a very expensive lense not so long back , however my daughter works in insurance and i will passs onnher words of wisdom .... you may or may not be insured for the accident whislt traveling however il bet you have home contents insurance that will include accidental damage. now ,my accident happened in the garden whist switching lenses but as far as my insurance company are concerned it happened in the lounge as i was cleaning my kit . because it happened in the house my insurance covered it . £50 excess paid job done new lense. not that i would ever condone this of course :) good luck

Cem_Usakligil

What a tragic story! On the bright side, you might replace your 40D with the new 50D...
Hi Nicholas,

Well, I was/am rather hoping to replace it with the 5D Mk II actually. I had the original 5D, sold it to wait for the MkII and bought the 40D as a stop gap.

PS: Welcome to OPF, I hope you'll enjoy it here :)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

I don't particularly like tripod heads that have a 'pop out' release mechanism, even if they have a safety switch. They can instantly render the camera detached. I prefer the screwing clamp design (arca-swiss?), it takes a conscious effort to unscrew the clamp a few turns before the camera is free of the tripod head.
Daniel you are absolutely right. My next tripod/head purchase will be in the direction of RRS, a pano head probably.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

I just found this thread and I sympathize with the drama Cem went through. Sorry to hear about the problem.

I do want to point out that having 2 camera bodies is really a must if you are serious about photography (read: if you need to take photos and not just want to bring back some snapshots). What happened to Cem may be particularly dramatic (the fall, the pieces spreading in every direction, the noise -- it's all very cinamatographic) but the fact is that most of us do experience some level of malfunction, damage, theft or breakdown in our equipment on a regular basis. Since repairs or replacements and not very practical in the field or abroad (if they are possible at all), having a second body at hand is the simplest and fastest solution to what has to be expected to happen.

Having several bodies also allows one to photograph while the repairs are being done. Some repairs are lengthy. On my P45 they have to be done in Denmark which means 2 weeks at the fastest.

I point that regularly to my students and yet many come to the workshop with only 1 body. Fortunately, there is usually someone who has another compatible camera :) When one travels alone this is unfortunately not an option.
Hi Alain,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I agree fully about the need to have two bodies. As I am an amateur photographer, I haven't invested in one yet. But I have an assortment of analog bodies such as a Canon EOS 3 and some Nikons too. I also have the G9 which is a great digicam. But I really missed my DSLR when it was gone. I may actually keep the 40D as a backup if I buy the 5D MkII later.

Cheers,

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Alain,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I agree fully about the need to have two bodies. As I am an amateur photographer, I haven't invested in one yet. But I have an assortment of analog bodies such as a Canon EOS 3 and some Nikons too. I also have the G9 which is a great digicam. But I really missed my DSLR when it was gone. I may actually keep the 40D as a backup if I buy the 5D MkII later.

Cheers,

Cem,

Any backup camera is better than no backup :) Of course we all want a backup as good as our primary camera, but it's not always possible (I only have one P45. My backup is the 1DsMk2). In your case the G9 or one of your film cameras should go in your bag together with your primary camera.

I think it's a lesson we all learn at high cost. Eventually the most expensive part of any photography shoot are travel costs, not camera costs.

Glad to hear it's all coming back together again, Cem.

As it happens, I was at the Narooma Blues festival a few weeks ago and at one point was walking out of one of the marquees holding my monopod with the D3 on the end. Suddenly the camera separated from the monopod but I managed to catch it on the way down at the second juggle. I made sure after that I had the neckstrap on at all times.

I did take a second camera with me, though that was a Panasonic FZ50, not at all in the same league. Even a D90 looks expensive at the moment, especially since it takes 50% more Australian dollars to buy anything overseas than it did two months ago.

Regards,
Murray

Alain Briot

pro member
My P45 back fell off one time while I was rotating it from vertical to horizontal.

Fortunately I was photographing sand dunes and it fell into the sand.

Unfortunately the sand scratched the sensor a bit. $1200 and it has to make a trip to Denmark.

But I can continue using it in the meantime since I need it for work and can't send it to the factory until December.

Just a lot of retouching!

By the way check out the new P45 photo on my home page. It was done during my last trip to the Sierras:

http://beautiful-landscape.com/index1.html

Done with a scratched sensor ;-)

Hi folks,

It's been almost 10 weeks since I dropped my camera in Paris. The camera has been away for repairs to Canon's Benelux service center for some 8 weeks. Finally, I have received it back last weekend. It has been repaired and I hope that it will be as good as new. They did not repair the battery grip since the cost of repairs was almost equal to the new price. The insurance has paid for almost everything (minus the self risk of Euro 50). Of course there are no compensations for the fact that I had no camera for nine weeks and that I had to cut my visit to Paris short and return by fast train back to home (i.e. extra ticket costs).

Nevertheless, I have the camera now and I can't wait till I can go out to shoot again. But I am kind of hesitant for some reason I can't fathom. I have to get back into the mind set of taking pictures like before, a break of 10 weeks from photography is way too long it appears.

Cheers,

Good to hear the camera is back .. enough wet autumn coulors in the Netherlands to make a slow, slow start and maybe get the athmosphere of being "a kind of hesistant" in a picture ..

Martin