• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Using Just MF Lenses with a 5DII!

Joe Thibodeau

After 4 years of shooting first a 5D and now a 5DII I am off the Canon lens grid entirely. I switched over to MF and currently have a nice collection of Zeiss and Leica which I am enjoying immensely.

Zeiss 21 Distagon ZE
Zeiss 35 Distagon ZE
Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar
Leica APO Emarit R 100/2.8 macro
Leica APO Emarit R 180/2.8

This set replaces the 35L, 85L, 135L that I had used for quite a while. A portrait lens is not necessarily a great landscape lens and what I have noticed is that there is a more natural rendering with the latest offerings. Love the lens build. The amount of post processing while using the Canon lenses in a landscape environment has all but disappeared with the Zeiss and Leica offerings. I was never all that great at handheld and AF has never been a tool that will deliver for me what a good tripod and live view provide in terms of sharpness. In the end this rig has eclipsed my desire to shoot in large format to the point where I haven't used my LF camera if over a year, perhaps never again. The convenience of the digital process continues to be the glue for making this choice.

Now if I can find a theme in imaging to wrap my brain around for a year or two ...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
After 4 years of shooting first a 5D and now a 5DII I am off the Canon lens grid entirely. I switched over to MF and currently have a nice collection of Zeiss and Leica which I am enjoying immensely.

Zeiss 21 Distagon ZE
Zeiss 35 Distagon ZE
Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar
Leica APO Emarit R 100/2.8 macro
Leica APO Emarit R 180/2.8

This set replaces the 35L, 85L, 135L that I had used for quite a while. A portrait lens is not necessarily a great landscape lens and what I have noticed is that there is a more natural rendering with the latest offerings. Love the lens build. The amount of post processing while using the Canon lenses in a landscape environment has all but disappeared with the Zeiss and Leica offerings. I was never all that great at handheld and AF has never been a tool that will deliver for me what a good tripod and live view provide in terms of sharpness. In the end this rig has eclipsed my desire to shoot in large format to the point where I haven't used my LF camera if over a year, perhaps never again. The convenience of the digital process continues to be the glue for making this choice.

Now if I can find a theme in imaging to wrap my brain around for a year or two ...

Joe,

This is an excellent, nay, regal, lens set!

now do you also have a Leica R in case you want to do fast portraits and wide aperture or your work is always slow enough that manual focus or zone focus works.

Asher

Joe Thibodeau

Asher I haven't done much in the way of handheld in a while but I have been practicing handheld manual focus to get a sense of how difficult it will be. I have shot wide open on all these lenses with very nice results. I will post some images in the coming weeks.

I don't own a Leica R and in fact it has been quite a while since I shot film.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher I haven't done much in the way of handheld in a while but I have been practicing handheld manual focus to get a sense of how difficult it will be. I have shot wide open on all these lenses with very nice results. I will post some images in the coming weeks.

I don't own a Leica R and in fact it has been quite a while since I shot film.

Joe,

We have to learn to take advantage of the new live view and the ability to see the images on a screen live and large to check focus. I think that's a great new advantage and for me, I intend to use that with the 24mm TSE at 3 meter distance as it's hard with super wide angle to focus manually just with the optical view through the lens, especially using wide apertures.

Asher