• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Lost Images.....

ErikJonas

Banned
Some of my images that were lost when my drive crashed were uploaded....Like this one...This one i had done the night my dad passed away,this last Fathers day....Its called "Goodbye Dad" and has very special meaning to me for that....

l_a8f76b83a9de4bff9710288a1533a976.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
l_a8f76b83a9de4bff9710288a1533a976.jpg

I like sunsets, of course. I like the colors here. The sky has little of the rich detail in shading that no doubt can be seen in the original. If you are going to show a 28k jpg, forget about getting people excited about a picture like this as the skies will likely be posterised. I hope you might either provide large files or else give 100% cutouts of portions of interest so we can enjoy the sky too.

The idea of having something in the foreground is essentially good. But I'm not sure that this bush makes it. It is not lit to be on fire with the colors of the sky. We need something special. The subject, the sunset is a challenge since thousands of pictures are already better than what we might make with a snap.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
Hi Asher....For some reason the images i upload to Myspace are compressed or something and they are displaying smaller then the 605 by 911 that i size them at....Any thoughts on this? Cem might know...But not all of the images just some...

Heres one that i lost..I love this shot with the lone corn cob in the fore ground...This is one of my favorites....And should be a fair size...

l_a4dcdb3e891443d59ba68c5a7b8c49be.jpg

ErikJonas

Banned
And heres another lost image....This one uploaded very small and again i am not sure why..Right by it is a new image thats showing much bigger...Anyway..Sorry this is so small an i hope i get figured out but this is all i have right now....

l_c1c5a69811f0417e95b4f3e42c751df9.jpg

ErikJonas

Banned
Image correction.

And this is another of my lost images....Again sorry its so small....Maybe Cem knows why they are appearing so small compared to the size i am uploading....

l_c3c376fd8fa04952ac33da2c0bfef08b.jpg

I figured it out...I went looking at all my images...Myspace does not like horizontal images...All the vertical images uploaded were okay size but ALL of the horizontal ones are noticably smaller. So now i have to look at if theres a way around this when sizing them for web posting...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And heres another lost image....This one uploaded very small and again i am not sure why..Right by it is a new image thats showing much bigger...Anyway..Sorry this is so small an i hope i get figured out but this is all i have right now....

l_c1c5a69811f0417e95b4f3e42c751df9.jpg

Erik,

Let's consider just this one image for the moment. It has interest but is too compressed. What size do you have this in? If it's a decent size, load this at say 700 wide at a compression of 8 we can see the image decently.

Thanks,

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher....For some reason the images i upload to Myspace are compressed or something and they are displaying smaller then the 605 by 911 that i size them at....Any thoughts on this? Cem might know...But not all of the images just some...

And heres another lost image....This one uploaded very small and again i am not sure why..Right by it is a new image thats showing much bigger...

And this is another of my lost images....Again sorry its so small....Maybe Cem knows why they are appearing so small compared to the size i am uploading....

I figured it out...I went looking at all my images...Myspace does not like horizontal images...All the vertical images uploaded were okay size but ALL of the horizontal ones are noticably smaller. So now i have to look at if theres a way around this when sizing them for web posting...
Hi Erik,

I have never used myspace myself, but a quick search on the internet reveals that the maximum image width allowed on myspace is 600 pixels. Anything wider than that is automatically resized during upload and compressed horribly at the same time. Your images in portrait orientation are effectively larger because the maximum width 600 means that the length is around 900. But if you upload a landscape picture at 900x600 pixels, it will be cut down to 600x400 pixels. So apparently, myspace is totally not suitable for any serious portfolio work of a photograper. Resizing is bad but can be avoided if you resize your pictures yourself before uploading. But the compression is even worse. On the net I have read that a possible workaround seems to be resizing yourself to less than 600 pixels wide and also saving as png (not jpg) to avoid excessive compression, but I cannot verify this. I have seen that there is a lively economy of applets which are supposed to take the pain out of this process.

As far as the images are concerned you've already uploaded, they have already been resized/compressed and you won't be able to regain the original size at which they had been uploaded. Sorry about that.

Cheers,