• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Free photo hosting at Digital Photography Review

Doug Kerr

I hate to be in Gimbels telling people that there are free bathrooms across the street at Macy's, but Digital Photography Review has introduced (on a trial basis, so far) a photo hosting service (album metaphor) that is free to any dpr member. (Membership in dpr is itself free.)

Members may upload during any calendar month up to 200 MB of images, and may have up to 1000 images in place. Supposedly, enlarged capabilities will eventually be available in an optional "added cost" service.

The service has the familiar arrangements for organizing images into albums, browsing by album, and so forth, all looking pretty slick (although I have never seriously used any of the other services of this genre, so I can't actually make any comparisons).

The photos can be brought up in "original size" plus a choice of three other sizes. I don't know what kind of downsizing algorithm is used.

The URL (a little long and hairy) can readily be brought up in the usual ways, allowing linking to the images elsewhere (I assume - we'll see in just a minute).

None of the images (at whatever size) sizes carry embedded Exif or IPTC metadata, but some basic items from any embedded Exif metadata will be displayed when the image is viewed within the "service".

You can read about the service here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012202dpreviewgallerieslaunch.asp

Now. let's see how the URLs work. This should be Carla (the "large" image):

C93A718B5BF448F1A76CC04F5590DA44.jpg

Seems to work! (The original is 2042 x 2860 px.)

Note that one can have any given image not accessible to the general public, and of course one could put in images "already downsized" for potential use here.