• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who uses this quotation?

Doug Kerr

One of my colleagues here has, in his signature block, a very apt quotation to the general effect that photography well represents the appearance of things but things are rarely as they appear.

Carla would like to use that original quote as the epigram for the "photographs" section of her forthcoming book, but I can't put my hands on it.

Would the member that uses that quote please speak up, or anybody else who knows who that is please "finger" him (or, if anyone recognizes the quote proper, perhaps you could give me an accurate transcription so I can track down the source).

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Would the member that uses that quote please speak up, or anybody else who knows who that is please "finger" him (or, if anyone recognizes the quote proper, perhaps you could give me an accurate transcription so I can track down the source).

I know who you mean, but I can't lay my finger on his exact name ...

Maybe it originated from Buddhism?
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
Surangama Sutra (according to http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/resources/buddhist_quotes.html). It probably lost a lot in translation.

Or it came from this: http://www.quotesandpoem.com/quotes/showquotes/author/phaedrus/116237

Cheers,
Bart

Daniel Buck

Seems to be an accurate quote, especially for those who photograph in large format. By that I mean, the image you see on at the camera is reversed and upside down, the ground glass has an odd sense of color, it's grainy, and un-evenly illuminated (and usually wide open, with very thin DOF) and has a strange sense of presents seeing a 3d scene projected on a 2d surface with both eyes. The final photograph is usually very delicate in tones, smooth and with a deep focus (if stopped down), void of color or very smooth in colors if shot in color, and entrancing to look at! That quote is large format to a T :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Daniel,

Seems to be an accurate quote, especially for those who photograph in large format. By that I mean, the image you see on at the camera is reversed and upside down, the ground glass has an odd sense of color, it's grainy, and un-evenly illuminated (and usually wide open, with very thin DOF) and has a strange sense of presents seeing a 3d scene projected on a 2d surface with both eyes. The final photograph is usually very delicate in tones, smooth and with a deep focus (if stopped down), void of color or very smooth in colors if shot in color, and entrancing to look at! That quote is large format to a T .
An excellent observation. It reminds us that then are even multiple kinds of "appearance".

Slightly off to the side, I am tickled by that wondrous quote from Robbie Burns:

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!​

By the way, now that we are in conversation, I have meant to mention that your use of the lower-case "d" in the shorthand expression of spatial dimensionality ("2d", "3d") differs from what is more familiar to me ("2-D", "3-D").

It always makes me think, when I see your signature line, mentioning "3d photographer":

"I wonder who the 1st and 2d are."​

Thanks for your insights.

Best regards,

Doug

Wendy Thurman

For me, the quote captures the essence of photography as the camera "sees" so much differently than the eye. Photographs are, of course, deptictions of reality (extreme techniques excepted) but when one factors in the frame imposed, lens considerations, compositional elements, and other such elements, photography becomes a Separate Reality. (Apologies to Carlos Castenada.)

Wendy