• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spring Has Sprung.....*Pic*

ErikJonas

Banned
Washington state spring has sprung....Early tihs year...No ones complaining...

4400240546_2c182ca984_o.jpg

This image Lake Cassidy, evening...2-28-10 shot at F-11....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
4400240546_2c182ca984_o.jpg

Erik jonas: Lake Cassidy, evening

Erik,

The picture is of a splendid sight and you are enriched getting the opportunity to be at this peaceful place. Are there deer to photograph too?

Unfortunately, you do not have a color space specified with this picture. Remember to embed a color space so a color aware program like Safari or Firefox can display your picture as you intend. Otherwise it will be handled according to some default which might be giving what I find to be over-saturated colors. In this wonderful view, there is nothing to compete with the great blue of the sky. but what function is that blue fulfilling? I really think that the blue is an empty easy richness that leaves one's appetite for experience unsatisfied.

So I though that there is ineherent texture and shape that is not realy exposed properly with all this rich blue. So here's your picture in B&W and for sure you could do better with a less severely compressed file.

4400240546_2c182ca984_o B&W.jpg

Erik jonas: Lake Cassidy, evening B&W edits ADK

I think you have a rich image here when viewed like this. Still, as you have the original, you can do far better in converting to B&W yourself!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
Asher I did try this in B/W with various contrast and did not like it at all....Very little saturation to this image....The sky is the bluest just after it rains such is the case with this photo here...

Asher Kelman

Erik,

I have no issue with you not liking the B&W. However, the sky in my years on this planet has never looked like that in any part of the globe I visited, any time, any season.

From now on please specify a color space and make sure that the EXIF have the shooting details. With this and the eagle picture, you are producing images that a not realistic and I cannot fathom why!

Are these film?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Erk,

The eagle picture is only strange in that it seems less than optimally defined. The feathers do not stand out, one from another and it appears that either it's underexposed and then rescued or blown up from a small part of a larger picture. You haven't said whether it's film or digital or if it was cropped and you have stripped the exif info from the file, so there's no way to tell how you made it.

However, the form and subject of the picture I like. What I don't know is whether it's a well photographed well exposed mage that's damaged as a result of compression as this is a tiny file, or whether it's as shot.

So I'm intrigued, envious that you had that opportuity but am not sure what you actually got!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
Asher...If the Eagle was shot in ideal circumstances would of been much prefered...It all happened so quickly i was lucky to get any shot at all let alone the one i posted that came out...Under exsposed yes.I had it dialed in for when he was sitting on the peak of this roof then as he lifted off and flew along the Douglas firs that changed the exsposure, i was too dark but that was the least of my concerns just trying to track the bird with the camera was a challenge....Eagles can reach speeds up to 45 M.P.H. which was not the case with this one as the salmon he had was a big fish but he was moving out at a good clip...(Diving they can hit 125 M.P.H.)

Digital not film,most all my images are digital i did shoot maybe a dozen rolls of film early on in 2006...I dont know what a color space is and am assuming that EXIF has something to do with the details of how you shot the image?.....That information i dont know where to find...When i down load the file if i put the curser over the file it will tell me the date, time and camera model but not the other information.

If you want to see the one shot of him on the peak of the roof that came out i could e-mail that to you lol as well as the blurry one even...This talk about the image i went back and looked at them theres another one that might be usable...All this aside being under exspode, this image has made me a lot of money so whatever can be said about it its made me money and will continue to this year and for years to come i'm sure and for that its golden....

Sorry you dont believe that we get such blue skies...I dont know what ot tell you there...I was just looking at a number of my unedited pictures and the rich blue sky in the unedited file thinking wow you'd never believe those shots either and thats completely unedited....

I was down at the water front shooting yesterday we had very blue skies and these wonderful puffy white clouds. I was shooting this broad perspective cross the water with these clouds and a flock of shore birds were flying in sync as a group causing this flashing as they changed directions....I thought i got some really good shots of this in this great setting....Every single one blurred...The images are ****...I didnt bump up my ISO and shutter speed to compensate for the fast movement....So the birds blurred....I dont think you can shoot fast moving wildlife clearly at under ISO 400.....

Rachel Foster

Asher the sat looks like what I get with wrong white balance setting. I've gotten some brilliant blues by a misdial of white balance.

StuartRae

Hi Erik,

I like this image, and don't mind the blueness.
However as Rachel says, the WB may be a bit out. The clue is in the blue cast in the clouds. If you don't mind, I'll post this version which has the colour-cast removed in PSE (Enhance | Adjust Color | Remove Color Cast). The change is subtle, retaining the essential blue of the sky but releasing the cloud detail.

spring-wb.jpg

BTW, I agree with you about the B&W conversion.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

Hi Erik,

I like this image, and don't mind the blueness.
However as Rachel says, the WB may be a bit out. The clue is in the blue cast in the clouds. If you don't mind, I'll post this version which has the colour-cast removed in PSE (Enhance | Adjust Color | Remove Color Cast). The change is subtle, retaining the essential blue of the sky but releasing the cloud detail.

That explains things! I thought it was the result of scanning Velvia flm!

spring-wb.jpg

Erik Jonas: Spring has Sprung Edited by Stuart Rae

BTW, I agree with you about the B&W conversion.

... and now, so do I!

ErikJonas

Banned
Wow all this over a blue sky...To me unbelievable but so be it lol....

Rachel thanks i shoot with my White balance set to day light or to shade...Mostly set to shade but its very little to notice in differance...."Dialed" you ment as a figure of speech correct?...As to adjust my white balance its something that has to be brought up on the LCD screen and selected...

Stuart....Good man trying to be helpful and thankyou....My process though is this...I shoot a bit under exsposed...I down load the image, using PS Elements i adjust first shadows/high lights a bit then bright/contrast and then the saturation just a small amount...Then some times i go back and adjust the contrast...Thats it...Thats all i do to a image other then removing something small and distracting that might be in the water...

I dont put a blue cast on my images theres no need to....

Asher as for the blue in the clouds i dont see that on my monitor....I do know that things look very differant from a CRT monitor to a LCD...I am probably one of the few that is using a CRT...

Stuart also theres more color to your revised image of mine then the original image...Browns or redish browns...It looks much nicer but thats not how it was....

Today we had a exceptional day again with blue sky and i went out and took pictures with varying white balances to see how that effected the blue in the image and i took a number at my normal setting of shade without under exsposing and getting the washed out blue that some might be accustom to seeing in a image...The time i did it though was also around 3 where the suns higher and its going to blow out much easier...

Its been a interesting conversation though and i do appritiate the input.....