• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chile: united by one photo

Ruben Alfu

c44_22431831.jpg

AP Photo/Roberto Candia
(for editorial comment under fair use doctrine)​

The man in the photo found this flag of Chile buried beneath the rubble left by the earthquake. The photo by AP photographer Roberto Candia has become the symbol for a national campaign to collect funds for recovery efforts.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The man in the photo found this flag of Chile buried beneath the rubble left by the earthquake. The photo by AP photographer Roberto Candia has become the symbol for a national campaign to collect funds for recovery efforts.

c44_22431831.jpg

AP Photo/Roberto Candia
(for editorial comment under fair use doctrine)​

This is remarkable Ruben. I feel for them. At first the President refused foreign aid and society self control broke down and people just were looting, not just food but anything. Thanks goodness for all the work of the engineers who helped Chile build stronger dwellings or this would have been far worse than Haiti in loss of life.

I haven't followed how this picture became famous. What is the story? Interestingly, the flag is held as if a bull was thundering towards him in the Spanish bullfight.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

I haven't followed how this picture became famous. What is the story? Interestingly, the flag is held as if a bull was thundering towards him in the Spanish bullfight.

Asher

This photo was taken in Pelluhue, a small town by the Chilean coast that was hit by a tsunami after the earthquake. As I have read elsewhere, Bruno Sandoval, the man with the flag, had returned to where his home used to be looking for his belongings, the photo was taken in that moment.