• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lucian Freud dies aged 88

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Challenge: Find a Lucien Freud painting that inspires or moves you and say why!

Beauty as it is .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14243713

a great painter dies..

the study of the human form

No comments here to date might be partly because he never was hip with the generation that fell for digital cameras! So here's the challenge. Find a picture of Lucian Freud that impresses you and post/link here. So here's my kick off choice:

lucian-freud-evening-in-the-studio.jpg

Look at the discussion here To me Lucien's wosk is grotesque in a sympathetic way. It's the antidote to seeing excesses in the opposite direction where faces are electronically optimized and skin smoothed to perfection. I see Lucien as a painting sketcher who seems to leave behind the surface detail to render the geographic units from which forms are made.

Asher

Mark Hampton

No comments here to date might be partly because he never was hip with the generation that fell for digital cameras! So here's the challenge. Find a picture of Lucian Freud that impresses you and post/link here. So here's my kick off choice:

lucian-freud-evening-in-the-studio.jpg

Look at the discussion here To me Lucien's wosk is grotesque in a sympathetic way. It's the antidote to seeing excesses in the opposite direction where faces are electronically optimized and skin smoothed to perfection. I see Lucien as a painting sketcher who seems to leave behind the surface detail to render the geographic units from which forms are made.

Asher

Asher,

what a task - better to post a few of his works - and what he tried to do in his own words -

'I want paint to work as flesh... I have always had a scorn for 'la belle peinture' and 'la delicatesse des touches'. I know my idea of portraiture came from dissatisfaction with portraits that resembled people. I would wish my portraits to be of the people, not like them. Not having a look of the sitter, being them. I didn't want to get just a likeness like a mimic, but to portray them, like an actor. As far as I am concerned the paint is the person. I want it to work for me just as flesh does' (Freud, quoted in L. Gowing, Lucian Freud, London, 1982, pp. 190-91).

I feel similar in the sense that photography seems to have fallen for the image - the likeness.

the unfinished images - the surface - breaking the smooth sheen of paint - using texture to recall in ones mind the feeling of skin - this guy could paint/draw/think.

lucien_freud-reflection1.jpg

lucien freud - reflection1

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mark,

Thanks for adding Lucien's own words. That explains to me his apparent aversion to the perfect appearance of made up models. I have an advantage, because of prior ignorance, to have at least thought about his work before knowing his thoughts. I'm delighted that I am at least on the right track to understanding his motivations. I will have to study more to appreciate his work more fully as no doubt you do already.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Asher