• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

FF Family

J. Schiavo

not to bring up more buzz. but i believe Canon will have a full frame line-up for all their new cameras coming out, except for the Rebel and below, which will keep the 1.6x crop factor.

it makes sense when you think of it.

the 30D replacement will be FF and have similar specs to the 30D and 5D, which certainly would "compete" with the wonderful D200.

the replacement 5D will have similar specs to the current 1Ds (perhaps even weather sealing?)

the new 1 series is a bit of a mystery. i would hope Canon would try some of Nikon's tricks with their D2X Crop and all... but i am not sure if they would do it or not... i mean 2 cameras in 1... from Canon... not sure.

anyways, that's my $.02.

in any case, any updates/improvements only benefit the consumer. how incredible would an entire full frame line up be? even if they kept the 30D (or an improved version) WITH a crop factor in the pro-semi-pro lineup, it'd certainly be worth all our while to have a better exposure system, focusing system, and whatnot in that cam as well.

i'm done california dreaming for now. night folks

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Joe Schiavo said:
the 30D replacement will be FF and have similar specs to the 30D and 5D, which certainly would "compete" with the wonderful D200.

the replacement 5D will have similar specs to the current 1Ds (perhaps even weather sealing?)

the new 1 series is a bit of a mystery. i would hope Canon would try some of Nikon's tricks with their D2X Crop and all... but i am not sure if they would do it or not... i mean 2 cameras in 1... from Canon... not sure.

Hi joe,

Glad your are back and I hope your business is going well. You should update us!

You might let us know whether or not all this is speculation, which I guess it is.

My best informed estimate is that the new flagship camera will be 22-24MP and 12BIT and the same frame rate as the 1DsII.

My confidence is 90%.

It could of course be 16 BIT and or a 3 layer sensor, that, this next time round would be feasable but then the buzz has been suppressed better than anything in the past.

Nothing much else matter IMHO except bringing better focus down the line, improving the noise further, adding a pocket Wizard and Wifi built in in the Pro series.

There's no need for more pixels just pixels that will hold more photons and get the voltage out cleanly.

Asher

Asher Kelman

For news, please give the source. Otherwise rumors are not to helpful. What you would like to see, might be fun. Joe it's important to know whether or not this is musing or fact. This part of OPF is for announcements. :)

Asher

J. Schiavo

well, the d40 being out, and the new XTi being a clear match for that camera is a pretty clear indicator. even thought the Rebel does seem to outclass the D40 in some areas, once can not deny the price factor will shove some folks over the edge and to the DSLR world with Nikon.

also, Canon's retail outlet price drops and rebates are pretty clear that there'll be a bigger, more complete line-up... the 30D can hold it's own with the D200. we know that, but put some specs in front of a newer customer and you have a problem because the D200 really IS top notch; even in the focus department (which is more than i can say for either my 20 or 30D). yes, yes, MP are not my objective, but on a spec sheet... to a person with less experience... it all adds up to a package with more "bang for the buck". a new 1 series - sure... and what about the OTHER 1 series... or will there just be one... or will Canon segment their equipment as it seems they are attempting to do right now just as Nikon has...

all in all, i'd say canon is predictable in the sense that what they do is logical, necessary, and puts them in their own "comfort zone". not sure that everyone can see what i see, but then again, Canon may decide to go their own way. it seems that the competition is spreading the DSLR into a broader spectrum of customer. that said, my speculative comments are merely fodder for the masses. in any case, a full frame lineup would not only solidify their lead stance, i think it would force a more firece competitor to emerge from Nikon. after all, a great body only goes so far...

business update on the forefront...

Aaron Strasburg

A major advantage, in my mind at least, that the D200 has over the non-1D-series is weather sealing. I'm surprised they didn't add that to the 5D. Maybe the 5Ds and 30Ds (for sealed :)) will be forthcoming. I wouldn't care to haul around the brick that is a 1D-series camera for most of my shooting.

Asher Kelman

MFRS remove functions from perfectly capable cameras to prevent eating into the sales of the next tier of products. So the 5D has an inferior focus acquire to the 1D series, the wonderful new Digital Rebel has a central focus point that is accurate but non-functional unless apertures are 2.8 or wider and the New G7 has no RAW option!

Why do we put up with this nonsense! Why? Because of no real competition!

Asher

Don Lashier

It's really just smart marketing, everyone does it - just look at automobiles, can't get a cupholder without upgrading to the $2000 trim package. IBM entire mainframe line used to be identical CPU, just crippled speed in the cheaper models.

- DL

Aaron Strasburg

The 20D has a center focus point that's more accurate with lenses faster than f/2.8. Is the new Rebel crippled beyond that? If not then this isn't something new. I'd just assumed it had to do with the brighter image, though I don't understand why that wouldn't be more EV-related than f-stop related.

The G7 is something else entirely. The lack of RAW support is baffling. It's even more baffling on the S3 IS. Canon's marketing people have drawn an imaginary line in the sand: DSLRs get RAW, "lesser" cameras do not. It appears to me that the G7 is a step backward from the G6 in many ways.

It looks to me like there's competition galore in the low-mid range DSLR area, but maybe Canon and Nikon haven't yet reacted. Canon owns FF and no one else seems to even be challenging them, but in the reduced-frame market I think things are really going to heat up.

Aaron Strasburg said:
I wouldn't care to haul around the brick that is a 1D-series camera for most of my shooting.

I use a mere XT/350D and it has one advantage over all the more expensive models for mushroom macro work, its smaller body. When you are shooting from angles too low for any tripod (i.e., the bottom of the body touching the ground) the larger bodies force your lens milimeters to centimeters higher and at moderate magnification that is a serious issue.

bigger is not always better,

Sean

The next Canon ??eos40d??

Well lets see if canon now give us the same features as the Pentax K10D has Like its Weather Proof Ing , It sucks that you fall for and pay for a line of Equipment and then you realize you Paid 1,400.00 for a camera
and you have to be = Very carefull use-ing it and avoid the rain and snow! with it :(:(:(:( I know There are rain coats for those kind of camera But At that kind of money you feel like you have been Had real good {LIKE} P.T.Barnum said :[Sucker born every Minute]
Ah just leting off a little steam: Reason also for going back into Medium Format! Thanks

Asher Kelman

Lauren,

I'd love to hear from those who have chosen the Pentax K10D and if it indeed is as good as expectations. That's what we need to get the bigger guys to offer more!

asher