• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Interesting Forum!

Wendy Thurman

I am glad I found OPF- it seems to have more... substance than many of the photography-based forums out there.

I'm from the US but my work is in conflict zones and developing countries. I write this from Amman, Jordan; I am on a break from my current work in Baghdad. Before Iraq, I spent eight months in Afghanistan and before that, two years on-and-off in Iraq. I'm with an NGO so have a lot of opportunities to spend long stretches of time in interesting places.

Some time ago- before this career developed- I lived and worked several years in the Caribbean shooting film underwater; this was before the advent of accessible digital photography so almost all my work was shot on chrome film with housed Nikon SLR's. After that time, I fell out of photography and didn't shoot at all for years. I came to miss it, though, and picked up a Canon 5D which I used in and around Kabul. I'm a Nikon user at heart, so I recently sold the Canon gear to a colleague and purchased a D700.

I know very little about digital photography, but the possibilities are intriguing and I am looking forward to contributing something useful and interesting here. Given my access to places most people don't experience, I find I am more and more interested in photojournalism- documenting people and cultures. Nature and U/W work still appeal as well.

Thanks for the forum and for reading my intro-

Wendy Thurman

Mike Shimwell

Hi Wendy

Welcome to OPF. I'm sure that you will enjoy your time here, there are some great and very knowledgeable (in both technical and art) people, together with a wide range of perspectives. The glue is the mutual respect and care that we have for one another, which is a real differentiator - and something for which Asher deserves much praise.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wendy,

Another huge welcome to you and congrats on your D700. That's a remarkable bargain in that Nikon has provided its flagship D3 in a bargain-priced package. How's your French? I imagine that you'd need that in Sierra Leone. Don't get tempted to buy diamonds. I'm sure you are really street savvy after all your assignments. I am not envious of people with fancier cameras, but I must admit some feelings of awe and wonder at the idea of the places you find yourself.

Asher

Wendy Thurman

My French is ok- I find when I am in places where it is spoken, it comes back quickly. It's better than my Dari, that's for sure! Sierra Leone is a "maybe". I'll most likely remain posted in Baghdad until this time next year. After that, who knows?

I really liked my 5D, but after years of shooting F2's, -3's, and -4's, I am more comfortable with Nikon equipment. The D700 is a great package and paired with the new 14-24 ED lens I am sure it's going to give great results.

Wendy

Asher Kelman

My French is ok- I find when I am in places where it is spoken, it comes back quickly. It's better than my Dari, that's for sure! Sierra Leone is a "maybe". I'll most likely remain posted in Baghdad until this time next year. After that, who knows?

I really liked my 5D, but after years of shooting F2's, -3's, and -4's, I am more comfortable with Nikon equipment. The D700 is a great package and paired with the new 14-24 ED lens I am sure it's going to give great results.

Wendy
My Dari is non-existent. My French is reasonably good. Or, I'll leave that to Nicolas Claris to judge. Debating in French might be difficult but I could manage otherwise. One generally manages to pick up enough key words in a local language to break the ice and get enough communication. At least some local words show a measure of respect.

I'm tempted with the new Nikon package you have. The 14-24 can be used with a Canon with a focus confirm capable adapter, but manual focus. I must admit I have thought of going back to nikon with the fact that, like Canon they have a fantastic 50 1.2 lens. I love it for available light portraits. That with the Nikon high ISO capability has to be a great tool.

I'm wondering whether you might have considered a sealed digicam like the Canon G9 as there is not the issue of dust and it's not so conspicuous.

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to your pictures. Don't worry about political correctness or offending anyone. If the picture needs to be moved, we do that. Anything that might really, really, really, offend we put UPTOWN in Controversial Forum so people are pre-warned! However, that is very rare.

Asher

Wendy Thurman

The G9 looks interesting. A Leica M8 with a 50mm would be good for inconspicuous, but awfully pricey. I'm a bit of a lens snob so from that angle, the Leica appeals but it's just too expensive. I'll look into the G9- thanks for the tip!

Wendy

janet Smith

pro member
Hello

I quick welcome from me too, nice to have you here, I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your work, sure you'll enjoy being with us here at OPF.

Hi Wendy,

Another welcome. Looking forward to your contributions, which allows us to get an impression from places we usually only hear from in the news. You have the opportunity to show what the daily life is about, instead of only the bloody confrontations.

I hope you enjoy your journey on OPF as well,
Bart

Mike Shimwell

Wendy, if you're looking at a G9 also loook at a Ricoh GX100 (now 200) - I much prefered the control layout, although I can't comment on the relative image quality.

Mike

fahim mohammed

A big welcome from me to you Wendy. Interesting that we share some common interests...Nikon and
the majority of places you have been assigned to work in. Welcome to my neighbourhood!

Yes an M8 might be expensive ( this is a relative term, and depends on a combination of factors ), and the
summilux 50 M asph is also expensive. But you have arguably the best .dng files and without reservation
the best 50mm lens made for the 35mm world. aperture 1.4 to be used and sharp at 1.4..period.

I guess you shall not be putting your D700 + Nikkor 14-24 in your purse!

Have fun and share your experiences with us.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Wendy,

We're looking forward to more contributions from you about areas under conflict and faces terrible challenges. We also see, in your work signs of hope. So this new forum will host all these subjects. Hopefully, this will stimulate others to share with us photographs from such areas and times.

Just be careful and we are all rooting for you!

Asher