• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photoshop Plug-ins

I have been using Photoshop CS3 until Santa Clause came last night and brought me the upgrade to Photoshop CS4 as well as Lightroom 2. In CS3 I have a plug-in that I purchased called Portraiture. I would like to use this plug-in now in CS4. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the plug-in installed into CS4? I have located the folder that holds all of the files for the plug-in but can't figure out how to get it into PS. Thatnk you in advance for any help you can give me. Thank you.
James Newman

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi James,

There's no reason why it shouldn't work if you have the plugin in the plugins folder. You might have to restart your computer and photoshop for the plugins to be seen. When did you get the plugins. The current one works with CS1 to CS4 and Apple's Aperture.

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi James,
I don't know what platform you're running, Mac or PC. I run a PC and had the same problem. The "upgrade" is actually a complete CS4 install and Adobe does not delete the old CS3 program or folders. Even though you may have copied all the plug-ins from the old CS3 folder to their new CS4 location, CS4 is still missing some files. For each plug-in there should be an associated .dll file located in the Photoshop CS top level folder. You should also be getting an error message when Photoshop loads. Those messages name the .dll files that are missing. Copy them from CS3 to CS4 and you should be ok.
Even if you're running a Mac, the same logic will apply.
Hope this helps.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi James
wherever your plugin is located, thru the CS pref panel (CS2 to CS4) you may load them…

pref.gif

So you may use your plugins within all CS version you have, without copying or moving them...

Joyeuses Fêtes !

JohanElzenga

If you use Windows Vista and Photoshop CS4 in 64 bits, your plugin may not work because it's only 32 bits. That is usually the reason when people report that some plugins are not working in CS4.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Actually, before reading all of them, I had already gone back to the Imaginomics website where I first bought the plug-in and went through the download and install process again. It works fine now from my CS4. I looked at the preferences screen as you suggested Nicolas, and know now what I should have done in the first place. Thanks for that. I will know for the next time. I am running my CS4 on a Windows XP system by the way. I guess I should have mentioned that up front. I am getting 2 Gigs more RAM for it because of these new programs. So now all I have to do is sit down at my computer and learn Lightroom and CS4. That should take a day or two don't you think? I am kidding of course. I only used maybe 3% of CS3's capabilities to begin with and here I am already upgrading to CS4. Lightroom I have never used and now I have that too just because of the things friends of mine have told me. Between camera gear and computers and software, I think I may have some addictive tendencies. Nikon and Adobe truly love me.
JamesNewman