• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Performance problems using liquify in PSCS4

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Hi guys,

Anyone has problems processing a 12.2 mp 16bpc picture with the liquify tool? I'm wondering WHY Photoshop doesn't use all the cpu cores when processing the tasks in liquify, just 1 core is in use... :(

Not hardware problems here. Having a Mac Pro with lot of Ram and processors.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Leonardo
try disabling opengl in the performance pref of CS4, it is sometimes not compatible with some video cards…
my very little 2 cents…

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Hi Leonardo
try disabling opengl in the performance pref of CS4, it is sometimes not compatible with some video cards…
my very little 2 cents…

I have a compatible video card, it's nVidia 8800 GT 512 MB. It's in the use of the cpu. I opened that thing which shows the use of RAM and CPU and it just show 1 core is being used by the liquify tool (at 100%). Not to mention plugins such Nik Software also uses no more than 2 cores, but liquify is not a plug... What was thinking Adobe when doing that... It's CS4! 64-bit compatible! Not to mention After Effects! Still using RAM like in a 32-bit OS... Adobe MUST do something about that.

nicolas claris

Sorry but you're wrong Leonardo!
To 'punish' Apple to have made Aperture, Adobe has not made CS4 for Mac 64 bits compatible!
When you see more that one core to work, it' s because OSX does handle that on its own… not Adobe.
However for some reason easy to understand, Light Room 2 is fully 64 bit on Macs… (Intel at least).

Bon courage !

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Sorry but you're wrong Leonardo!
To 'punish' Apple to have made Aperture, Adobe has not made CS4 for Mac 64 bits compatible!
When you see more that one core to work, it' s because OSX does handle that on its own… not Adobe.
However for some reason easy to understand, Light Room 2 is fully 64 bit on Macs… (Intel at least).

Bon courage !

But there is a 64-bit version of Photoshop for Mac. As far as I know, the only app from Adobe compatible for 64-bits is Photoshop. After Effects is compatible with 64-bits as well, but not native like Photoshop. It works a bit faster than in a 32-bits OS.
Photoshop uses all the cores of the mac, at least that's what I see, but not with the liquify tool. I have asked in RetouchPRO the same question and both guys told me Liquify uses just 1 core (one of the guys is an important retoucher). The performance problem was because I have had checked the "Show Backdrop" box (not to mention I was using a 1500px brush! haha). Another guy told me how to enable liquify to be used as an Smart Object!

Here is how:

"File"-"Scripts"-"Browse", browsing to "Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Scripting\Sample Scripts\JavaScript" and selecting "EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx"

nicolas claris

Leonardo
as I told you, the fact that you see multiple cores working is not due to CS4 but to OS X.
CSA Mac is not 64 bit. LR2 only is…